Author Topic: The fucking karma system  (Read 781 times)

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
Re: The fucking karma system
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »
Well how about the temporary karma system gets applied and then we will see who's right and who's wrong.
So you don't think that there's going to be any more minging and troublesome players with temporary karma than permanent karma?

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
You know what i find funny from all these threads? quite a few of the people that are complaining about the perma karma are the same people that use to get reported alot for rdming Lmao (not referring to just this thread, I'm referring to like all these threads since the perm karma has been in place.)

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
So you don't think that there's going to be any more minging and troublesome players with temporary karma than permanent karma?

I think there will be just as many.

The difference here is that you can ban them without having to worry about them trying to sidestep or complain about technicalities.

It's easier to just ban an RDMer than it is a T-Baiter.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
I think there will be just as many.

The difference here is that you can ban them without having to worry about them trying to sidestep or complain about technicalities.

It's easier to just ban an RDMer than it is a T-Baiter.
Very rarely do people ever just accept a ban though including for RDM. There's always some sort of an excuse.
But I mean, there was a CLEAR difference in TTT when perma karma came. There were way fewer trouble players.

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 05:28:17 PM »
Permakarma is fine.

It's the strict karma that's shitty.
Miami's Finest

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
You know what i find funny from all these threads? quite a few of the people that are complaining about the perma karma are the same people that use to get reported alot for rdming Lmao (not referring to just this thread, I'm referring to like all these threads since the perm karma has been in place.)

This is a rather disingenuous look, isn't it?

For one, the biggest complaint is not with permakarma, but how much is lost or gained.  Second, I don't recall anyone here being SUCCESSFULLY reported - I sure as hell have never been reported fore RDMing.

lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Shawn

View More Badges!

• The Vault
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
For one, the biggest complaint is not with permakarma, but how much is lost or gained.  Second, I don't recall anyone here being SUCCESSFULLY reported - I sure as hell have never been reported fore RDMing.

First i wasn't referring to you. Second like i said not just referring to this thread I'm also talking about all the threads last year as well. The biggest complaints when perm karma came out was mostly from known rdmers.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
First i wasn't referring to you. Second like i said not just referring to this thread I'm also talking about all the threads last year as well. The biggest complaints when perm karma came out was mostly from known rdmers.

...like?

Offline Lazer Blade

• dat ass tho
  • Windows UserDWO PlayerLeague PlayerApple User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +366
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
Personally I like the karma system, nor do I think that it should be changed. It actually creates and maintains a cause and effect for
people who troll,bait,rdm ect.

Offline Shawn

View More Badges!

• The Vault
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »
...like?

Doesn't matter who it is Since alot of people have changed since then... But i just thought it was funny since they use to get reported for rdming...

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
Doesn't matter who it is Since alot of people have changed since then... But i just thought it was funny since they use to get reported for rdming...

So

it doesn't matter

but you bring it up anyways.

Okay.

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »
+1
So

it doesn't matter

but you bring it up anyways.

Okay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Miami's Finest

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Personally I like the karma system, nor do I think that it should be changed. It actually creates and maintains a cause and effect for
people who troll,bait,rdm ect.

No, it creates a game where people are scared shitless to shoot at people who are killing them because if they are wrong, their karma is fucked - and will take a very long time to get back to where it was WITHOUT factoring in other trolls/RDMers.  It creates a game where people can just RDM and leave, trolling a server getting them to fuck their karma, and ruin the game.  If we made it so VIPs and/or admins could modify karma [reset, add or subtract karma], and tweaked the values a little, the game wouldn't break, the game wouldn't suddenly become a haven for RDMers and trolls, it would still have control, but it wouldn't be so overbearing tha those who kill RDMers feel overwhelmed, fucked.

Seriously, kill an RDMer after working your karma all the way back to the 960s, and watch it drop in that one swoop back to 330 and tell me things are not fucked up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:23:53 PM by Travelsonic »
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:34 PM »
No, it creates a game where people are scared shitless to shoot at people who are killing them because if they are wrong, their karma is fucked - and will take a very long time to get back to where it was WITHOUT factoring in other trolls/RDMers.  It creates a game where people can just RDM and leave, trolling a server getting them to fuck their karma, and ruin the game.  If we made it so VIPs and/or admins could modify karma [reset, add or subtract karma], and tweaked the values a little, the game wouldn't break, the game wouldn't suddenly become a haven for RDMers and trolls, it would still have control, but it wouldn't be so overbearing tha those who kill RDMers feel overwhelmed, fucked.

Seriously, kill an RDMer after working your karma all the way back to the 960s, and watch it drop in that one swoop back to 330 and tell me things are not fucked up.
It's really not a big deal though. If you've got common sense you can avoid most of those situations or at least get your karma back up quite quickly. There really aren't that many RDMers. But that argument of "It creates a game where people can just RDM and leave, trolling a server getting them to fuck their karma, and ruin the game" is pretty horrible. With temporary karma it's just that but worse essentially. Sure it won't mess the player's game up QUITE as much, but then they could simply constantly rejoin after the map changes to again RDM ruining the round and people's karma.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
+6

I'd like to see actual examples brought out. Until then, stop cluttering this thread with the buttfuck opinions you think are relevant.

I'd also like to point out the fact that making karma less strict would literally ELIMINATE baiting, which is an even bigger problem than RDMing. Baiting is much harder to prove than RDM, much harder to ban for, and generally more of a pain in the ass to deal with. RDM is obvious when committed, and can be proven 100% conclusively with a two console commands and 1-2 screenshots.

I disagree, of course. I feel that it is not hard to differentiate between an RDMer and a T, and that if you hold your fire for just a second longer you will maintain your karma. That being said, you do lose karma based on the amount of karma the person you killed has. Killing a 1000 karma player when you have 1000 karma results in a loss of 400 karma.

Which is not enough to render you worthless. Less effective, yes, but not unplayable. You will be back to 850 in 3 rounds if you don't injure any more comrades.

You're judging everyone else by impossibly high standards.

To gain 250 karma in 3 rounds is impossible, unless you kill a niggerload of traitors. You're throwing out an absolute best-case scenario as a fact, which can't be called anything other than bullshit.

Let's throw out an ACTUAL common scenario:

1. You have 1000 karma, and kill someone else with 1000 karma, you now have 600 karma. Congratulations.
2. After just losing 400 karma for killing a single person, which, as we've established, is bullshit: You're paranoid as fuck. If you're like me and most other players, you won't shoot anyone at all if you can help it.
3. You gain 35 karma per round. After one round, your karma is 635. 670. 705. 740. 775. 810. 845. That's seven (7) rounds, Deacon.
4. Actually, that's wrong. Before the temp servers, it was 30 karma per round. 630, 660, 690, 720, 750, 780, 810, 840. Eight rounds.

Now, let's assume you kill two people by accident. Before any of you say that this is implausible, I'd like to pre-emptively stop you to tell you that you're an asshole. Once you've killed one person, someone's going to attack you. Since you're in a rush from just having killed someone, you're going to instinctively shoot that person too. After losing 800 karma, in our BEST-CASE scenario you're at 200 karma. If your karma was at 800 or 850, congratulations -- You're now at sub-100 karma. It's going to take you exactly 56 rounds of doing precisely nothing to reach 850 karma. At six rounds per map, that's 9 maps of nothing. If you kill one wrong person, congratulations. You get to start over. If each round takes about 5-10 minutes, which they generally do, that's 4.6 to 9.3 hours. An average of seven hours of punishment for killing two people at 1000 karma.

Now, before anyone argues that I just used the worst-case scenario as my prime example, stop right there again. Congratulations: You're also retarded. From killing one person when both parties have 1000 karma, that's still eight rounds of waiting which equates to anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes of waiting. For one person.

Just for the sake of killing the next 5 minutes, I'm going to do some more math:

If you kill someone who has just mistakenly killed someone with 1000 karma and they were prudent enough to have 1000 karma beforehand, you're losing 40% of 600 karma. That's 240. You're now at 860. If you're a new player, and you were already at 850 karma, you're now sitting at a comfortable 610 karma. You've just lost 8 rounds of playing time for not checking a body until you're back to standard karma.

If you're that guy in the previous scenario who was at 1000 karma and just killed someone at 1000 karma (Keep in mind, you could be killing that person for anything from shooting at the ground around your feet to shooting you in the foot, or dragging around a freshly dead corpse), people just saw you kill someone. If you're the main character in the previous scenario, you're going to kill that person. What happens if you fail? Assuming everyone here starts with 1000 karma, the ONE PERSON WHO HAS ONLY KILLED PEOPLE WHO WERE ATTACKING THEM just fell into our near-worst-case scenario, and has 200 karma.

Either way, my point summarized is: The karma system does not forgive or forget. If someone mass RDMs and gets banned for a week, their karma does not get reset. Their karma never resets. They are forced to waste hours of time on our server for the sole purpose of being able to play again.

Of course, there's no karma penalty for baiting. If you bait someone who isn't particularly sharp and is just on the server to have fun, they're the one who loses out. Even if the damage logs show one person shooting another person once, that's not nearly enough to ban someone. The only time baiters get banned is when they do it so overtly and with every sort of carelessness that it's impossible not to notice. Our karma system offers nothing but sore punishment for those who lack what you thick-headed pricks try to pass off as "common sense," and fails to actually punish those who abuse it. The only solution to this problem is to have more active admins and VIPs. I don't know about the  rest of whoever still has any sense of respect, but I'm not going to waste my time being the only one who cares about keeping the server as clean as possible.

Really, though. I'm not mad just for the sake of being mad. I'm mad because nobody has put forth an actual reason why our current karma system is more practical than the old one. If you can, then by all means do so. I'll take back this entire post in the morning all for the sake of one person being sensible.