Author Topic: The fucking karma system  (Read 777 times)

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
The fucking karma system
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
Pure and simple, it sucks.

It is easy to lose insane amounts of karma even for killing a lower karma RDMer, and it takes way too long to regain that karma.  Lately the RDMing situation has been really terrible, and my karma has gone from 960 or so, to the 300s, to the 200s, to the 600s, back to the 200s, to the 10s.

Or give VIPS or admins a way to reset or fix karma...
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
Re: The fucking karma system
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
Been gone over millions of times.

I'm one of the more vocal speakers against the karma system, I think I've made a good five threads. Nothing is going to change it.
Miami's Finest

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
Why can't we ever come to a compromise?

I too think its horrible, the very short times I've played these past two weeks (due to being distracted for map making lol) I get shot, shoot back and it's a Innocent.

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
I disagree, of course. I feel that it is not hard to differentiate between an RDMer and a T, and that if you hold your fire for just a second longer you will maintain your karma. That being said, you do lose karma based on the amount of karma the person you killed has. Killing a 1000 karma player when you have 1000 karma results in a loss of 400 karma.

Which is not enough to render you worthless. Less effective, yes, but not unplayable. You will be back to 850 in 3 rounds if you don't injure any more comrades.

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
I think the karma system does a great job of punishing people who are careless and also makes players think before shooting someone. It's just that traitor-baiting totally ruins it if the person committing it has high karma.

Even if my karma took a beating and went to the 200s, I can spend at least 20-30 mins to bump it up to the 600s where I can actually deal significant amounts of damage. Most other TTT servers barely scratch your karma for accidentally killing an innocent and it's like playing shoot-out as opposed to avoiding suspicious people and using the scoreboard feature that lets you mark who you trust.

A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »
Uh, how do other TTT servers thrive that don't use same horrid karma system we use?

Offline Deacon

• DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »
Uh, how do other TTT servers thrive that don't use same horrid karma system we use?

Different players
Different communities.

AKA, the same reason ours thrives.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:50:13 PM »
I think the karma system does a great job of punishing people who are careless and also makes players think before shooting someone. It's just that traitor-baiting totally ruins it if the person committing it has high karma.

Honestly, I'd rather just ban constant RDMers instead of trying to deal with people tip-toeing around the technicalities behind T-Baiting.

I had way more fun with the temp karma system we had before than with the perma karma we have now.

We also had a more enjoyable playerbase before than we do now.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »
After all these threads nobody wants to change the damn karma system at least temporary? I don't think we needed to make this many threads to implement permanent karma system, so why is not switched back? 

Offline This Cactus

• Windows UserApple UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• im gey~ | I'm just an average kid who likes gaming
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:54 AM »
The same topic all over again.
Thanks gamefreak!

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:55:33 AM »
The same topic all over again.

I wonder why.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Samo

• N3RDSLAYA2003
  • Windows User
    View More Badges!

• So smug. So sly.
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
It won't be changed, you just have to deal with it. Everybody else has. I quite like the system myself.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
It won't be changed, you just have to deal with it. Everybody else has. I quite like the system myself.
It has to be changed because these kind of threads ain't stopping. I don't understand why coolz haven't switched it back yet.
And no, I don't mind the perma karma system.

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 07:34:14 AM »
I like what Pidda's TTT server does: 

- 100 karma for each round you go without hurting team mates [or killing]
- Mass penalties for RDMing [2 kills brings you down to 0 karma, and you don't start dealing more than 10% damage until the 500s or so]
- The ranking system is different - instead of guest/Reg/VIP/Admin, they have user/Respected/Operator/Moderator/Admin, and everyone can vote kick, vote ban, but Moderators and above can REALLY reset karma.  Moderators and above can SLAY players, a feature MANY other TTT servers have that would be good for dealing with RDMers [problem once? slay, continued problem?  slay until ragequit or bans]

Honestly, you can't say "nobody" wants change, since you see right here that people want different types of changes - making this claim absolutely retarded.  Why do many people keep making threads about it if its not an issue, people who have been here for a while and happen to be good players?  More importantly, how does it make ANY sense to not have any avenue where somebody kicked in the balls karma wise for dealing with an RDMer can get his or her karma fixed?

Being contempt with the problem doesn't make it not a problem.  Maybe people stopped caring because of the inactivity in addressing the issue, and any hostility towards change.

There ARE serious problems, and things that put this server at least slightly behind others in terms of efficiently dealing with RDMers and players having their karma fucked.  Bitching about others bringing it up, or telling people to ignore it doesn't fix that.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:38:56 AM by Travelsonic »
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Deacon

• DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »
I like what Pidda's TTT server does: 

- 100 karma for each round you go without hurting team mates [or killing]
- Mass penalties for RDMing [2 kills brings you down to 0 karma, and you don't start dealing more than 10% damage until the 500s or so]
- The ranking system is different - instead of guest/Reg/VIP/Admin, they have user/Respected/Operator/Moderator/Admin, and everyone can vote kick, vote ban, but Moderators and above can REALLY reset karma.  Moderators and above can SLAY players, a feature MANY other TTT servers have that would be good for dealing with RDMers [problem once? slay, continued problem?  slay until ragequit or bans]

Honestly, you can't say "nobody" wants change, since you see right here that people want different types of changes - making this claim absolutely retarded.  Why do many people keep making threads about it if its not an issue, people who have been here for a while and happen to be good players?  More importantly, how does it make ANY sense to not have any avenue where somebody kicked in the balls karma wise for dealing with an RDMer can get his or her karma fixed?

Being contempt with the problem doesn't make it not a problem.  Maybe people stopped caring because of the inactivity in addressing the issue, and any hostility towards change.

There ARE serious problems, and things that put this server at least slightly behind others in terms of efficiently dealing with RDMers and players having their karma fucked.  Bitching about others bringing it up, or telling people to ignore it doesn't fix that.

You bring up many valid points but I must reiterate: If its such a problem, why is it that our server is always consistently full of players?
There are many people (guests) that come here BECAUSE of our karma system.