Author Topic: The fucking karma system  (Read 777 times)

Offline yoshi

• as I said, pretty nice.
  • Old Forum MemberWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +377
Re: The fucking karma system
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »
You bring up many valid points but I must reiterate: If its such a problem, why is it that our server is always consistently full of players?
There are many people (guests) that come here BECAUSE of our karma system.

Prove it.

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
+1
It has to be changed because these kind of threads ain't stopping. I don't understand why coolz haven't switched it back yet.
And no, I don't mind the perma karma system.

Then people are just going to make threads about all the RDMers and to bring perma karma back... so either way we're still going to have to deal with threads like this..

Prove it.

Lol? Just look at the server its ussally like always full... (atleast when i try to join)

I personally don't care what system we use I'm still going to have close to 1000 karma no mater what one since I don't shoot for no reason... and even if it switch's i can just kick/ban all the rdmers so its no problem for me BUT other members don't have that option just to ban rdmers and all that so i can see why others like the perma karma to reduce the amount of rdming...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:29:07 AM by Shawn »

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »
+1
Lol? Just look at the server its ussally like always full...

But what Yoshi is saying is to prove whether it is because of our karma system which Deacon appeared to say or imply, or for many reasons including community, players, maps, etc.
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
At this point I don't care what karma system we have. But know that if it switches to the previous karma system the admins or at least I won't bother much with managing the server as it gets quite ridiculous. And as of now when some people ask me to join the servers due to some really bad minge (but not hacker) I will still join but that won't be the case with the old system. It's simply retarded hard to manage that, but if that's what everyone wants I'm fine with that.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
You bring up many valid points but I must reiterate: If its such a problem, why is it that our server is always consistently full of players?
Yeah, at the same time I believe there was a hand full of regulars who quit TTT, like me, because of the horrid karma system.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 11:35:44 AM »
And as of now when some people ask me to join the servers due to some really bad minge (but not hacker) I will still join but that won't be the case with the old system. It's simply retarded hard to manage that, but if that's what everyone wants I'm fine with that.
As an admin, it is your duty to do so. You cannot avoid it. And if you think it's hard to manage for you then think about those people who make reports.

The servers weren't empty with the old karma system either.

Now why can't we put the old karma system for some time and see how it goes, we can always switch it back.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 11:44:53 AM »
Now why can't we put the old karma system for some time and see how it goes, we can always switch it back.

IMO this talk of permakarma vs fixed karma helps stagnate discussion, whenever people think about change they think abut this when there are other forms of change to the karma system that can be made - adding a means to reset karma, tweaking gains/losses, damage reductions, etc.
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
As an admin, it is your duty to do so. You cannot avoid it. And if you think it's hard to manage for you then think about those people who make reports.
The servers weren't empty with the old karma system either.

Yea okay Prox. I'm not meant to be RND's bitch. When something's that hard to manage there's simply no point. I'd like to see you be promoted, join every time someone complains about a tiny RDM or something like that and manage the servers thoroughly the whole time you're there. Eventually it gets to the point that the game's unplayable for you and you'll lose interest. That's probably half the reason a lot of admins go inactive so I'm simply not going to obligate myself to that. I'm not saying that I'm just going to ignore minges and hackers and shit though. Obviously if there's a clear hacker/rule breaker they're going to be dealt with if I'm there at the time. And keep in mind who has to manage the reports as well. That also gets to be a pain but I'm saying I'm willing to do that but I'm not going to really be nearly as strict on stuff probably as there will be a LOT of people causing issues even more so if the server gets temporary karma.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
Yea okay Prox. I'm not meant to be RND's bitch. When something's that hard to manage there's simply no point. I'd like to see you be promoted, join every time someone complains about a tiny RDM or something like that and manage the servers thoroughly the whole time you're there. Eventually it gets to the point that the game's unplayable for you and you'll lose interest.
I already do this, every time someone complains I join and usually there is no need to stay for long. But I think it's understandable since you're one of the few active admins/VIPs on the server. It wouldn't be this hard if there would be more.

That's probably half the reason a lot of admins go inactive so I'm simply not going to obligate myself to that.
If that's the reason why so much admins are inactive, then it is very disappointing. Everyone who applies for this status must be able to deal with troubles on the servers, if they can't, they shouldn't apply at all.

And keep in mind who has to manage the reports as well.
That is a good thing obviously. But why do you assume that there will be so much more trouble than there already is? Of course if there would be more active higher ranked members then it could be reduced to a minimum but then again, the karma system can be switched back.

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
I already do this, every time someone complains I join and usually there is no need to stay for long. But I think it's understandable since you're one of the few active admins/VIPs on the server. It wouldn't be this hard if there would be more.
If that's the reason why so much admins are inactive, then it is very disappointing. Everyone who applies for this status must be able to deal with troubles on the servers, if they can't, they shouldn't apply at all.
That is a good thing obviously. But why do you assume that there will be so much more trouble than there already is? Of course if there would be more active higher ranked members then it could be reduced to a minimum but then again, the karma system can be switched back.
I assume there will be so much more trouble because it was horrible before permanent karma and have no reason to believe it would be any different.
But still, applying for admin doesn't mean applying for a role as RND's bitch. You aren't really expected to go in-game every time someone complains, you're just expected to moderate the servers while you're in them. So no, it is not "my duty" or any other admins', and is not "unavoidable."

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
I assume there will be so much more trouble because it was horrible before permanent karma and have no reason to believe it would be any different.
But still, applying for admin doesn't mean applying for a role as RND's bitch. You aren't really expected to go in-game every time someone complains, you're just expected to moderate the servers while you're in them. So no, it is not "my duty" or any other admins', and is not "unavoidable."
Helping the servers out does not = being RND's bitch. So you're saying that if you have some spare time and someone requests your help you ignore them? But since you're the only active admin on the servers, I guess it could get irritating.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
+1
I decided to play TTT yesterday, and the server just seemed to be a crock of shit. I can't imagine anyone calling our playerbase "good" in any way.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
I decided to play TTT yesterday, and the server just seemed to be a crock of shit. I can't imagine anyone calling our playerbase "good" in any way.

Elaborate, please - I mean, I notice issues, and wonder if anybody else is irritated by the sme / simila ones.

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Helping the servers out does not = being RND's bitch. So you're saying that if you have some spare time and someone requests your help you ignore them? But since you're the only active admin on the servers, I guess it could get irritating.
Lol I'm not saying that at all, please read and understand everything I'm saying. I said that IF TTT went to temporary karma again, I would be joining when players ask me to a lot less. As of now I still join if I'm not in the middle of something when someone has an issue that I think I should deal with. No helping the servers doesn't make an admin RND's bitch and that's not at all what I'm saying, I help the servers when I can. But a LOT of players ask me to join constantly at times often for issues that really don't need me to join to manage. If the servers went back to temporary karma there would be a lot more unruly players and people would be asking me to join even more so. The "not being RND's bitch" thing is referring to that where no one's expected to constantly join every 10 minutes off and on because people complain.
Again though, I really don't care what karma system we have. Reverting to the old system probably actually would attract a player base that I'm more fond of, but it would also mean a lot of minging and such. So I'm just warning that if the system does go back to temporary karma of the most likely issues and my response to them. Though if there's complaints of hackers and more serious issues and such I still will join if I'm not busy, but I'm probably not at all going to join when people just complain about RDM because there will most likely be RDM every other round if not more.

EDIT:
Elaborate, please - I mean, I notice issues, and wonder if anybody else is irritated by the sme / simila ones.
I do have to agree with gamefreak but I'd rather not go into detail. I'm sure he would like to any ways lol.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
Well how about the temporary karma system gets applied and then we will see who's right and who's wrong.