Author Topic: The fucking karma system  (Read 777 times)

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
Re: The fucking Karma system!
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
This thread is so silly.

I think we can all agree that aside from being a Traitor, having low karma is hardly any fun. I generally am Traitor only once per map.

So lets say I witness someone kill three people, or perhaps someone throw an incendiary into a crowded room, maybe even shoot the detective several times, or if I get attacked out of the blue. Being the skillful-sometimes player I am I go out and I kill them because that obviously was a Traitorous act! But oh wait, they were an Innocent and they left a minute after they died! Now I have low karma and can't really do shit against Traitors.

That is the biggest problem I have with the system, right there. RDMers.

RDMers!

Can I please lose a lot less karma when I kill an Innocent who leaves two minutes after their death but before the round ends?

There is no way to determine that.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
Re: The fucking karma system
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »
Hey, hey. How about we have both perma karma and temp karma servers running at the same time? Lock and sticky the thread for the time being and we can reopen the debate later when we have actual scenarios instead of arguing the implausibilities of the hypothetical
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:45:46 PM by Rocket50 »

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
  • Respect: +18
Re: The fucking Karma system!
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »
There is no way to determine that.

There isn't?

Let me get this straight:
There is no possible way to lower the amount of karma I lose based on if the player (Innocent) disconnects 10 seconds after I kill him?
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
Hey, hey. How about we have both perma karma and temp karma servers running at the same time? Lock and sticky the thread for the time being and we can reopen the debate later when we have actual scenarios instead of arguing the implausibilities of the hypothetical
How about we let travelsonic make the call on locking...since it's his thread ya know.

But on the other hand, keep it open for further debate.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »
I'm only going to lock it if Travel asks me to. Or if it turns into a completely shitstorm type deal.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
I'm only going to lock it if Travel asks me to. Or if it turns into a completely shitstorm type deal.

Sonic shouldnt be able just to close the thread on a whim anymore. The arguments have pretty much gone personal and it would make more sense if impartial mods decided when it would be the right time to lock instead of OP feeling that, "omg, I feel bad now for destroying the community with my thread...."

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »
Sonic shouldnt be able just to close the thread on a whim anymore. The arguments have pretty much gone personal and it would make more sense if impartial mods decided when it would be the right time to lock instead of OP feeling that, "omg, I feel bad now for destroying the community with my thread...."
na
There's really nothing wrong with the thread. RND debate.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
na
There's really nothing wrong with the thread. RND debate.

#typicalRND

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »
+1
I don't necessarily want to lock this thread but I want to say that I have considered the scenarios and that the permanent karma system will stay.

The system helps prevent end round RDM as well as provide some sort of incentive for those who want to work for their 1000 karma.

However, I am considering changes to lessen the karma loss (but not increase the gain).

A little while before I shutdown the servers in February I joined TTT quite a few times to really get a fresh feel for the system and game play.

During that time I didn't find a problem with the system personally. Even if I made a mistake I would stick it through and get my karma score back up fairly quickly. However I understand not all players are the same and that it might be appropriate for small modifications to karma loss.

I have not yet decided on the exact amount change but I don't believe it needs to be that drastic.
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
I don't necessarily want to lock this thread but I want to say that I have considered the scenarios and that the permanent karma system will stay.

The system helps prevent end round RDM as well as provide some sort of incentive for those who want to work for their 1000 karma.

However, I am considering changes to lessen the karma loss (but not increase the gain).

A little while before I shutdown the servers in February I joined TTT quite a few times to really get a fresh feel for the system and game play.

During that time I didn't find a problem with the system personally. Even if I made a mistake I would stick it through and get my karma score back up fairly quickly. However I understand not all players are the same and that it might be appropriate for small modifications to karma loss.

I have not yet decided on the exact amount change but I don't believe it needs to be that drastic.
does that mean you wont remove 400 karma per map change

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
does that mean you wont remove 400 karma per map change
That would really be a bad decision if he did.

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »
One of the biggest things that pisses me off:

It SEEMS like this scenario exists:

Hill RDMer -> karma drops -> work to rebuild karma -> get karma really high -> kill another RDMer, same fashion as before, same reason -> karma drops 2-3x as much.

Seriously, it feels like after rebuilding your karma, killing another teammate RDMing or not, gets you hit with a double whammy, and it pisses me off.  I didn't rebuild my karma for it to drop 2-3x as fast for killing a high karma RDMer in the same fashion as what caused it to drop in the first place.

EDIT: And can we stop acting like perma, temp karma is the only frame of debate this can take, the only area that is/can be discussed on this matter, permakarma or not is irrelevant, it is the values for gain or loss, REGARDLESS of permakarma or not, that is making me, and others, royally pissed.
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
One of the biggest things that pisses me off:

It SEEMS like this scenario exists:

Hill RDMer -> karma drops -> work to rebuild karma -> get karma really high -> kill another RDMer, same fashion as before, same reason -> karma drops 2-3x as much.

Seriously, it feels like after rebuilding your karma, killing another teammate RDMing or not, gets you hit with a double whammy, and it pisses me off.  I didn't rebuild my karma for it to drop 2-3x as fast for killing a high karma RDMer in the same fashion as what caused it to drop in the first place.

EDIT: And can we stop acting like perma, temp karma is the only frame of debate this can take, the only area that is/can be discussed on this matter, permakarma or not is irrelevant, it is the values for gain or loss, REGARDLESS of permakarma or not, that is making me, and others, royally pissed.

Thank goodness I'm not alone here, I completely agree with you. I don't mind perma-karma, I mind RDMers costing me karma. That seems to be the hardest point to get across in nearly every karma thread I post in.

EDIT: Damn. Eight pages full of -blam!-. I think you should start over and make that crystal clear.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:23:03 AM by Eion Kilant 739 »
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
+2
I think karma should reset every 1-2 days, or maybe even at random intervals.

RDM rounding wouldn't be an issue with that.