Author Topic: English! You were supposed to learn it in first grade!  (Read 371 times)

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

Re: English! You were supposed to learn it in first grade!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »
Apparently its hard to learn a new language in the teenage years lol.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Mr. Franklin

• Old Forum MemberWindows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerDonatorCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• I'm addicted to sweet tea
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
Meh This will always be a problem Sanders in every community, do you know why? because we are typing on the internet and grammar isn't the most important thing to teenagers or other people
Quotes from friends:

.:~RND`=- coolzeldad -=: mah mouse is sqeakeh
.:~RND`=- Mr.Franklin -=: tweeeeek it

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfranklin1972
Prox: Thread status: memed.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
schnope

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »
native langauge is english

only language

inb4notmulticultural

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »
Take a brief segment of your lives guys and educate yourself. Stop looking like grammar trolls on the internet.

Ok here's how it goes for you guys.

There are three forms of the word there. They are homonyms. They go: There, their, and they're.

There is the easiest form to use, so fucket.

Their is used to indicate collective possession.
     "That whore is their whore."
     "I busted out my stereo on those niggas and played some base on their heads."
     "Fuck! My outpost just got hit by their attacks!"

They're is used as a shortened form of "they are," to indicate multiple subjects in a state of something. You all know this.
     "They're being assholes to me."
     "Hey bro, they're going to jack your shit if you dont lock your door."
     "What the fuck! They're sending so many damn zerglings!"

When you go to write a passage, and you don't know whether or not to use "their" or "they're", just do it like this:
     Is this motherfucking sentence trying to indicate possession? If so, put a their there.
     Can I replace the "the/re/ir/y're with "they fucking are"? If so, put a they're there, or a they are if you are writing some professional crap.

The few educated people in this galaxy might thing more highly of you if you take five and a quarter seconds to remember those simple rules.

NEXT: the apostrophe. People suck ass, and and so does this punctuation. You think you got it right? You probably still fuck it up from time to time so read this shit.

One simple rule to remember -- the " 's " indicates ownership. NOT FUCKING PLURALITY. If you want to say something is more than one, stay away from that key on your keyboard. You don't say "mattress'es", so dont say "pillow's" unless the pillows own something cause they are sentient lifeforms or something. Here is how you dont sound like a retard on the go:
     Does this thing own something? Am i trying to indicate that here? Put 's then
     Is it just more than one? Then don't you fucking touch that key.

Also, when you are trying to indicate both just tack the apostrophe on the end like " boys' ." In the case of some fucked up shit like "children" just put "children's." You guys know this.

Now its time for the hard motherfucker of the day. "It's." The apostrophe is the form for the contraction of it is. So same shit.
     If you are typing something and can replace the "its" with "it fucking is" then it is "it's". If not, stay away from the apostrophe.

Good job bitches. Please try not to make these mistakes on the internet, or nobody will take yo ass seriously.

Thank you.

"Hey bro, they're going to jack your shit if you dont lock your door."

dont

Your whole thread is invalid, motherfucker.

Offline Bovicide

• The enormous
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »

Your whole thread is invalid, motherfucker.

>Implying a typo unrelated to the specific grammar subject (that is, apostrophes used in conjunctions and plurals, not in contractions) of the post makes the lessons learned invalid.

Omissions of an apostrophe in contractions like don't or can't are common and acceptable in non academic settings, as there is no way to mistake the word "dont" for anything else. Shits different yo.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:54 PM »
>Does this thing own something? Am i trying to indicate that here? Put 's then

>"i"

You did the "dont" thing 3 times.

Offline Bovicide

• The enormous
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 01:13:13 AM »
>Does this thing own something? Am i trying to indicate that here? Put 's then

>"i"

You did the "dont" thing 3 times.

The problem with nazifagging on that is that it does not affect the meaning at all no matter what. Sure, capitalization is important, but i am not perfect. Just like that. However, when meaning can be changed, and reading can be made more difficult, I make sure to do the grammar correct. Here is another example of grammar fucking mistakes.

Were and we're. The first is expressing a past state of being, the second indicates the speaker or a group doing something. If you put one and mean the other it takes two readings to get the correct meaning.

You nitpick at things that do not affect the reading in the least. Im pointing out things that make reading harder for an educated english speaking person.

Before you completely disregard my post and point out the "im", it is another example of something that means the same thing no matter if it has the ' or not. Reading that is no more difficult than reading "i'm".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:18:35 AM by Sanders »

Offline [Valor]iPounce

• My Waifu
  • Old Forum MemberWindows UserLeague PlayerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Fun things are Fun
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
I english know k?

"ς๏๏lzєl๔ค๔": WE RACIST
"KHMarie12": Fapping
"KHMarie12": lolwat; coolzeldad: iPounce stop making me think that I'm being ddos'd
[10:28] LazerBlade1: give me the thing

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 07:42:18 AM »
The problem with nazifagging on that is that it does not affect the meaning at all no matter what. Sure, capitalization is important, but i am not perfect. Just like that. However, when meaning can be changed, and reading can be made more difficult, I make sure to do the grammar correct. Here is another example of grammar fucking mistakes.

Were and we're. The first is expressing a past state of being, the second indicates the speaker or a group doing something. If you put one and mean the other it takes two readings to get the correct meaning.

You nitpick at things that do not affect the reading in the least. Im pointing out things that make reading harder for an educated english speaking person.

Before you completely disregard my post and point out the "im", it is another example of something that means the same thing no matter if it has the ' or not. Reading that is no more difficult than reading "i'm".
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
    • The Vault
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:34 AM »
Meh This will always be a problem Sanders in every community, do you know why? because we are typing on the internet and grammar isn't the most important thing to teenagers or other people

/Thread.

Psst the irony of the "grammar" lesson you're giving then you spell "don't", "dont"

As for "i" not being capitalized it doesn't have to be, I've never seen anywhere stating you have to capitalize "i" it's just something that became personal preference among the mass' (IMHO)

NVM i was thinking of something else Lol (God I'm tired)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:15:33 AM by Shawn »

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
Shawn, don't even attempt posting here. Your capitalization is bad enough to make an English major consider suicide.

And for fuck's sake, just because Sanders doesn't have absolutely perfect grammar doesn't mean everything he says is bullshit.

Offline Shawn

View More Badges!

• The Vault
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »
Shawn, don't even attempt posting here. Your capitalization is bad enough to make an English major consider suicide.

Ya but thats because its the internet and i don't care about perfect grammar, this isn't a English class. The reason people are going on about the mistake he made is because he made a thread about grammar and fucked up on it himself.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »
Ya but thats because its the internet and i don't care about perfect grammar, this isn't a English class. The reason people are going on about the mistake he made is because he made a thread about grammar and fucked up on it himself.

So you're saying that if he's going to make a thread about horrible grammar, you expect complete perfection from him?

Offline Shawn

View More Badges!

• The Vault
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
So you're saying that if he's going to make a thread about horrible grammar, you expect complete perfection from him?

If someone is going to make a whole "lesson" about grammar because their tired of people doing it wrong then I expect said poster to have used proper grammar himself. Its not about perfection its about him wanting perfection from everyone else but then makes a typo like everyone else.