Author Topic: Remove the respect system entirely  (Read 658 times)

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
Re: Remove the respect system entirely
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
I really don't understand why we even have a respect system, it will never truly reflect what type of person you are/acting like. Other trolls could +1 other trolls and really the respect system has absolutely no point unless everyone in the community is mature enough to not rage and only +1/-1 other people when they deserve it.

The respect system has no purpose and really wont make any difference whether or not it stays. The current respect system cannot be relied on due to the people who troll by -1'ing and people who +1 each other for no reason. Even with the only +1 system your only solving half the problem, people will still show how unreliable the system is by +1'ing unnecessarily.

Really the root of the problem is trolls, and ignorant people who +1/-1 without reason, however you cannot rid the internet/community of trolls and idiots. I think the +1/-1'ing should be left to moderators only.

The entire idea of a respect system is to see how helpful/trollish people are, people in this community have shown not everyone can handle the responsibility of dictating how a post is helpful/not. People should only +1 when a post is helpful, NOT funny/humorous/cool, and only -1 when the post is trolling/spammed/similar.

tl;dr: you better have fucking read this, its about you.

I agree, i think only Admin's/Moderator's should be given the privilege to +1/-1 under the circumstances. They became an admin/moderator for a reason, so they should be mature enough not to boost/troll people with this ''privilege''
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:06:41 PM by thecat100 »

Thank you Marie for the sprite.

Offline accelleon

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• OS Dev is the black magic of programming.
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 07:20:50 AM »
Limit each user to a single +1 every 10 minutes would help prevent boosting.

Its not about the extremely high respect from boosting. It was that the person unnecessarily +1'd a post.
The whole point of my long post was to point out that its not the boosting/trolling but how the respect system is still used incorrectly.

The entire idea of a respect system is to see how helpful/trollish people are, people in this community have shown not everyone can handle the responsibility of dictating how a post is helpful/not. People should only +1 when a post is helpful, NOT funny/humorous/cool, and only -1 when the post is trolling/spammed/similar.

I've seen people +1 just because they agree on a subject, that isn't what its for. Moderators should be the only people able to +1/-1 mainly because they have proven themselves to be mature enough to handle the job of moderating a forum. The community however has +1'd for silly reasons that the +1 wasn't meant for. I can be sure most people with respect above 100 weren't that helpful to deserve it. I can also be sure people who weren't trolled but still have respect below -50 probably didn't do that much spamming/insulting to deserve it.

Ill use your post of the +1 only system as an example. At the time of writing its +4, however I see nothing helpful about your post, you were simply stating your opinion/idea and since 4 people agreed they +1'd.

The point is the community as a whole has shown they can't use the respect system correctly, now its the moderators turn.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:23:56 AM by accelleon »
I'm back and playing gmod again!

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 07:38:33 AM »
Its not about the extremely high respect from boosting. It was that the person unnecessarily +1'd a post.
The whole point of my long post was to point out that its not the boosting/trolling but how the respect system is still used incorrectly.

I've seen people +1 just because they agree on a subject, that isn't what its for. Moderators should be the only people able to +1/-1 mainly because they have proven themselves to be mature enough to handle the job of moderating a forum. The community however has +1'd for silly reasons that the +1 wasn't meant for. I can be sure most people with respect above 100 weren't that helpful to deserve it. I can also be sure people who weren't trolled but still have respect below -50 probably didn't do that much spamming/insulting to deserve it.

Ill use your post of the +1 only system as an example. At the time of writing its +4, however I see nothing helpful about your post, you were simply stating your opinion/idea and since 4 people agreed they +1'd.

The point is the community as a whole has shown they can't use the respect system correctly, now its the moderators turn.

I don't know about everyone else, but I earned my respect. I don't really +1 or -1 people unless I strongly disagree, or it was just a generally stupid or useless post.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:54 AM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I earned my respect. I don't really +1 or -1 people unless I strongly disagree, or it was just a generally stupid or useless post.
Top 10 Post Voters

SabbathFreak
Death M.D.
Pryvisee
Frank
gamefreak

LOL RIGHT

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
Bro my ratings are totally legit, don't hate son.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline accelleon

View More Badges!

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 09:00:10 AM »
fucking

I can be sure most people with respect above 100 weren't that helpful to deserve it.

can you people read. i even italicized so that people DON'T go and argue "i earned my respect"

that is what im talking about. the respect system isn't about whether you disagree/agree its how helpful someone is to the community. and -1'ing for a stupid or useless post isn't correct either. if its generally harmful/insulting another member/spam, etc. then yes -1. but its by no means an opinion.

oh another example, frank -1'd thecat100's post even though there was nothing harmful/spammy about it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:10:48 AM by accelleon »

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
Then mabe put a limit on how many votes you can give in a day?
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline accelleon

View More Badges!

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Then mabe put a limit on how many votes you can give in a day?

death said that earlier, like i said in an earlier post:

people use the system incorrectly, and the community as a whole pretty much invalidated any meaning the respect system had in the first place.
the +1 again should be used for helpful posts.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
    View More Badges!

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
+1
fucking

can you people read. i even italicized so that people DON'T go and argue "i earned my respect"

that is what im talking about. the respect system isn't about whether you disagree/agree its how helpful someone is to the community. and -1'ing for a stupid or useless post isn't correct either. if its generally harmful/insulting another member/spam, etc. then yes -1. but its by no means an opinion.

oh another example, frank -1'd thecat100's post even though there was nothing harmful/spammy about it.
He's got something harmful, his fucking writing. And I'd also -1 many other posts. They make me want to take my eyes off with a fucking tea spoon.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
I was about to say that you're all fucking retards, then I realized that I started this thread .__.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
    View More Badges!

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »
I was about to say that you're all fucking retards, then I realized that I started this thread .__.
What goes around, comes around.

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
+1
You're all fucking retards.

There you go, AZNfreak.

Offline Shawn

View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
I just don't use the respect system...

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
    View More Badges!

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
You're all fucking retards.

There you go, AZNfreak.
You are all a fucking retard.

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
He's got something harmful, his fucking writing. And I'd also -1 many other posts. They make me want to take my eyes off with a fucking tea spoon.

P-S srry for bad spelling, im more of a french then english.

Thank you Marie for the sprite.