Author Topic: Dell inspiron 530s upgrade  (Read 329 times)

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
Re: Dell inspiron 530s upgrade
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
+2
Well everything looks quite excellent... except for two things...

First, your ram, It would certainly work just fine, but I can guarantee you will never ever come close to using all of that ram, unless you enjoy playing 4 high end games at once, having 200 tabs open in firefox, and running Highend CAD software all at the same time, on a regular basis, you will never see a return on your investment in all that ram.

I have 4 Gb, I do tons of multitasking, and I also run Memory intensive CAD software, and I still have yet to max out my ram. I have gotten close, but I was doing things that I'm pretty sure you wont be in your video-game playing. So if this is a gaming machine, you wont need all that much ram.

Go with 6 gb instead, it will be way more than enough for anything you would be doing with the computer --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Then take that money and either:

A: Reinvest it in a better video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500167

B: put that money back in your pocket

or
C: Even better than both, put it into a better CPU cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150&cm_re=35-106-_-35-106-150-_-Product and the previously mentioned upgraded video card.

If you make the changes to your ram and video-card I mentioned, you will be able to play just about any game on max everything. If you keep things as they are that 6850 will struggle in a few of the newer games to have butter smooth playback, and the extra ram wont give you a single extra fps.

But this is shaping up to be one ACE computer :dukenukem:

i cant reccommend buying software already on computer
are you building or is it prebuilt
wat?

He is building his own computer, and you kinda have to buy an operating system, otherwise your computer is just a box that uses electricity and blinks at you. I suppose you could go to linux, but WINE and the other emulators tend to be rather buggy at times, due to the complexity of the task they have to do.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:25:02 AM by Xrain »
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
  • Linux UserWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
  • Respect: +331
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 02:20:08 AM »

First, your ram, It would certainly work just fine, but I can guarantee you will never ever come close to using all of that ram, unless you enjoy playing 4 high end games at once, having 200 tabs open in firefox, and running Highend CAD software all at the same time, on a regular basis, you will never see a return on your investment in all that ram.

I have 4 Gb, I do tons of multitasking, and I also run Memory intensive CAD software, and I still have yet to max out my ram. I have gotten close, but I was doing things that I'm pretty sure you wont be in your video-game playing. So if this is a gaming machine, you wont need all that much ram.

Go with 6 gb instead, it will be way more than enough for anything you would be doing with the computer --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Then take that money and either:

A: Reinvest it in a better video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500167

B: put that money back in your pocket

or
C: Even better than both, put it into a better CPU cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150&cm_re=35-106-_-35-106-150-_-Product and the previously mentioned upgraded video card.

If you make the changes to your ram and video-card I mentioned, you will be able to play just about any game on max everything. If you keep things as they are that 6850 will struggle in a few of the newer games to have butter smooth playback, and the extra ram wont give you a single extra fps.

But this is shaping up to be one ACE computer :dukenukem:
wat?

He is building his own computer, and you kinda have to buy an operating system, otherwise your computer is just a box that uses electricity and blinks at you. I suppose you could go to linux, but WINE and the other emulators tend to be rather buggy at times, due to the complexity of the task they have to do.

:l i said software in general
tehre are otehr ways then buying from store
Code: [Select]
for(;;) procrastinate = !procrastinate;Damn emoticons

Offline Xrain

View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 03:33:26 AM »
:l i said software in general
tehre are otehr ways then buying from store

I recommend against pirating your operating system, it's just too much of an integral part of your computer, risking it's stability with questionable operating systems isn't the best Idea. If you truly can't afford to pay for it, go learn to use Linux.

And as for software he has on his existing computer, why yes it would be rather foolish to buy it all again. But your operating system sadly doesn't readily migrate. So save yourself some headache and spend the 89.99 on the operating system to get a full warranty, and not have to worry about M$ blacklisting the serial your using.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
~Coolzeldad~

~Minic~

Offline Malaka

• JMAN FAG JMAN FAG JMAN FAG JMAN FAG JMAN FAG
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
what do you mean about the software? will window 7 not work?
JMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN

Offline Xrain

View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »
what do you mean about the software? will window 7 not work?

Windows 7 will work just fine, and nothing is wrong with your software.
~Coolzeldad~

~Minic~

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »
kickass pc you got there, nice to see you took our suggestions and not what you thought to be the best :D

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »
Wow awesome parts.
At this point only your Gpu is bottlenecking. Well compared to that 12gb ram and i6 950.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
Wow awesome parts.
At this point only your Gpu is bottlenecking. Well compared to that 12gb ram and i6 950.

Not really I would say if anything the HDD is bottleknecking lol

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
  • Linux UserWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
  • Respect: +331
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »

oh jesus i lululul'd

get a cheap 1TB harddrive
Code: [Select]
for(;;) procrastinate = !procrastinate;Damn emoticons

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »
Well in the past hdd was always a bottleneck regardless if it was a raptor. Now Ssds are way way way faster... But they cost as much as his ram alone.
Dont buy an ssd yet.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
I recommend against pirating your operating system, it's just too much of an integral part of your computer, risking it's stability with questionable operating systems isn't the best Idea. If you truly can't afford to pay for it, go learn to use Linux.

And as for software he has on his existing computer, why yes it would be rather foolish to buy it all again. But your operating system sadly doesn't readily migrate. So save yourself some headache and spend the 89.99 on the operating system to get a full warranty, and not have to worry about M$ blacklisting the serial your using.

I tend to choose the one with the most "numbers that are green" and has the most comments and actually read them. And right afterward immediately install virus-protection. Unless you choose a bad copy which only like 50 people are "sharing", then thats when the factor of your system getting fucked up comes in.

It's fine by me aslong as my hardware will support it, its a trusted copy picked by the site, and if the 400+ comments state so otherwise.

Actually, you just gotta take a good chance. But if you get a bad "copy". Then you can do what I did multipal times before, get a system restore backup from another store bought computer and use that. I never had any problems installing an OS backup that's only meant for my old, shitty, gateway laptop to my hard-drive a good 3 years back. So I guess you can resort to that method if you dont wanna buy anything.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:51:10 PM by Cake Faic »

Offline Xrain

View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
I tend to choose the one with the most "numbers that are green" and has the most comments and actually read them. And right afterward immediately install virus-protection. Unless you choose a bad copy which only like 50 people are "sharing", then thats when the factor of your system getting fucked up comes in.

It's fine by me aslong as my hardware will support it, its a trusted copy picked by the site, and if the 400+ comments state so otherwise.

Actually, you just gotta take a good chance. But if you get a bad "copy". Then you can do what I did multipal times before, get a system restore backup from another store bought computer and use that. I never had any problems installing an OS backup that's only meant for my old, shitty, gateway laptop to my hard-drive a good 3 years back. So I guess you can resort to that method if you dont wanna buy anything.

If you are spending over 1000 dollars on a computer, just don't be a cheap piece of crap and spend the 80 dollars on a new operating system. Then you don't have to pick the one with the most "green" comments.

If you are that cheap, go get Linux instead.

Your HDD performance has nothing to do with how many FPS you would get in-game, as all of the data is loaded into your ram. The only effect a slow HDD has on you is your load times tend to be  longer. So as in-game performance goes, his GPU is the bottleneck of his system.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:24:09 PM by Xrain »
~Coolzeldad~

~Minic~

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »
If you are spending over 1000 dollars on a computer, just don't be a cheap piece of crap and spend the 80 dollars on a new operating system. Then you don't have to pick the one with the most "green" comments.

If you are that cheap, go get Linux instead.

Your HDD performance has nothing to do with how many FPS you would get in-game, as all of the data is loaded into your ram. The only effect a slow HDD has on you is your load times tend to be  longer. So as in-game performance goes, his GPU is the bottleneck of his system.

...Green = Seeders, just to clarify.

Offline Xrain

View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
...Green = Seeders, just to clarify.

I've seen a lot of virus torrents with over 100 seeders. So that isn't exactly the most surefire way to select them.

At any-rate, this is not the topic to be discussing things like this, on-top of that this is against the rules of the forum. So if you guys have any legitimate suggestions for malaki's computer, let them be known. But if your only suggestion is OMG GO PIRATE THAT INSTEAD ITS MORE WIN. Then please don't bother, as discussions of that nature are against the rules of the forum.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:57:53 PM by Xrain »
~Coolzeldad~

~Minic~

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »

Shit nigga, I nearly came looking at that cooler.