Author Topic: Dell inspiron 530s upgrade  (Read 323 times)

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +231
    • Build a boat
Re: Dell inspiron 530s upgrade
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 07:28:47 AM »
+1
Pic's or it didn't happen.  :o

Sabb: oh when'd you get there!?
Sabb: That was embarrassing.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
Your HDD performance has nothing to do with how many FPS you would get in-game, as all of the data is loaded into your ram. The only effect a slow HDD has on you is your load times tend to be  longer. So as in-game performance goes, his GPU is the bottleneck of his system.

It matters if you do alot of compiling

he could always just get a second one when his fps drops below 60 while maxed out on games exc crytek games and m2033

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

he could always just get a second one when his fps drops below 60 while maxed out on games exc crytek games and m2033

OR....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 12:05:18 PM »
OR....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

uhhh NOPE

the gcf's have no affect on game load time lol...

the gcf's are just there if something gets corrupted etc it will replace it from the GCF

you want steam installed to an SSD or ramdisk, wouldnt be enough space on the RDisk though lol

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
uhhh NOPE

the gcf's have no affect on game load time lol...

the gcf's are just there if something gets corrupted etc it will replace it from the GCF

you want steam installed to an SSD or ramdisk, wouldnt be enough space on the RDisk though lol

One word... RamSan http://www.ramsan.com/products/31

But going back a bit.

I dont get why you guys always do this.

Your HDD performance has nothing to do with how many FPS you would get in-game, as all of the data is loaded into your ram. The only effect a slow HDD has on you is your load times tend to be  longer. So as in-game performance goes, his GPU is the bottleneck of his system.

Do I mention anything about compiling? I say your HDD performance has nothing to do with your ingame FPS.

Let me restate this, just incase you dont realize how obsurd this is.

Your HDD performance has nothing to do with how many FPS you would get in-game.

You know, a slow HDD also makes your things transfer slower   :o :o :o :o :o :o

All of you do this, lol coolz rants about it all the time. Someone makes a legitamate satement. Then someone makes some comment in reply that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and then they go off feeling like they win the argument.

Why yes, a faster hdd does have some effect on your compile times. Thats great! I'm glad. There is just a few problems that I have.

A. You quoted me, then stated your reply as if it invalidates my statement.
B. He never mentioned anything about wanting his computer to compile things fast.

So in the future, if you wish to add something, be clear in your reply.

This, is what you did.

While yes, while your hdd does not have a significant effect on your in-game fps. If he ever wanted to get into map design, his compile times could be helped with a faster HDD

See the difference? You need to be clear about what you are arguing when you reply to someone's statement.

Then of course I would argue back, that there are more effective ways to spend $200-$500 dollars to increase performance, than on a SSD. As they are currently too expensive to justify the increase in performance they offer. Even then, the bottleneck while you are compiling for the most part, isn't your transfer speed (unless your hdd is REAALLY slow) but your processor's computation speed.

But if he did want a SSD, go with a Crucial C300, as they are currently one of the fastest SSD's around yet still remaining at a relatively reasonable price.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
  • Linux UserWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
  • Respect: +331
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »

But going back a bit.

Do I mention anything about compiling? I say your HDD performance has nothing to do with your ingame FPS.

All of you do this, lol coolz rants about it all the time. Someone makes a legitamate satement. Then someone makes some comment in reply that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and then they go off feeling like they win the argument.

Why yes, a faster hdd does have some effect on your compile times. Thats great! I'm glad. There is just a few problems that I have.

B. He never mentioned anything about wanting his computer to compile things fast.

This, is what you did.

While yes, while your hdd does not have a significant effect on your in-game fps. If he ever wanted to get into map design, his compile times could be helped with a faster HDD

See the difference? You need to be clear about what you are arguing when you reply to someone's statement.

Then of course I would argue back, that there are more effective ways to spend $200-$500 dollars to increase performance, than on a SSD. As they are currently too expensive to justify the increase in performance they offer. Even then, the bottleneck while you are compiling for the most part, isn't your transfer speed (unless your hdd is REAALLY slow) but your processor's computation speed.

But if he did want a SSD, go with a Crucial C300, as they are currently one of the fastest SSD's around yet still remaining at a relatively reasonable price.

ramsan
Maximum Bandwidth: 3,072 MB/s

>maximum

but ssd's are as of now useless imo. for certain things useful but general stuff no

too expensive
Code: [Select]
for(;;) procrastinate = !procrastinate;Damn emoticons

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »

ramsan
>maximum

but ssd's are as of now useless imo. for certain things useful but general stuff no

too expensive

Notice the latency of the RamSan, It's measured in Microseconds.

Thats, ~ .000015 Seconds

While a very fast regular hdd measures it in Milliseonds or

~ .015 seconds

Whats that mean?

A RamSan 400 can perform 400,000 read/write IOPS( Imput/Output operations a second)

A 2x Samsung F3 in Raid 0 can perform 86 read/write IOPS

A Crucial C300 can perform 60,000 read, 40,000 write IOPS

RamSan's top of the line model, can perform

14,000,000 IOPS
160 TB of storage
Sustained random bandwidth of 140 Gb/s

Hows that for freaking fast?

All this is a 42U rack-mount :P
http://www.ramsan.com/products/73

Can someone send me one of these for Christmas?  ;D kthxbia
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
I've seen a lot of virus torrents with over 100 seeders. So that isn't exactly the most surefire way to select them.

At any-rate, this is not the topic to be discussing things like this, on-top of that this is against the rules of the forum. So if you guys have any legitimate suggestions for malaki's computer, let them be known. But if your only suggestion is OMG GO PIRATE THAT INSTEAD ITS MORE WIN. Then please don't bother, as discussions of that nature are against the rules of the forum.

I dont think the MPAA would track down coolz, throw his ass in jail to become bubba's next girlfriend if you dont bluntly shout-out: OH HAI GUYS, YOU SHOULD PIRATE XXX AND DOWNLOAD YYY. It was only a mere suggestion at the most,

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »

But going back a bit.

This, is what you did.

Rage? O.o

Offline YomoFox

• Windows UserLinux UserOld Forum MemberCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +700
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »
so btw power is ok? :o

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
topics merge'd