Author Topic: Soliciting gamemode ideas  (Read 211 times)

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
Soliciting gamemode ideas
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »
I made the TTT mainly because I wanted to just start making stuff. It's a really fun feeling to create shit and see other people use it.

I started working on my own gamemode a while back, which was my own personal take on the dayz-survival style. I started to get overwhelmed though and couldn't satisfy myself. I would go back and completely re-write or change features even after completing them and would want to revise practically anything I made.

I figured it'd be better to start simple though, and try to lay out a proper framework for something people would find fun. It'd be a good practice for me too.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if any of you had an idea for a gamemode that you really wanted to see done. Could be something written from base, or mounted on fretta.

Don't feel constrained to what Gmod is capable of, it's changed a lot over the last couple years. You can do a lot more with it than you used to. It's not nearly as limited in its functionality. Seriously, pitch anything. I want to hear it.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
Re: Soliciting gamemode ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:45:50 AM »
I've always wanted to see something like a racing gamemode, which could either be skill-based (like Gran Turismo) or combat-based (like Mario Kart).  It would be fun to have a fast-paced game like that, with power-ups and stuff.  Another variation of this idea could be with airplanes, though that may be more of a combat-oriented game instead of a race.

Another idea I had was for a silly, stupid, simple game.  Pretty much, it's a FFA game where everyone spawns empty-handed across an arena, and scattered all over the place are objects of significance (Think an Easter Egg hunt).  The objective is to gather as many "eggs" as possible before the time runs out.  However, there's a twist: Some of the "eggs" may be launchable (Think a dodgeball in the dodgeball gamemode).  These are spawned less often, but once obtained, the player may launch it at someone else, and if it hits, the other player loses a portion of their "eggs".  As I said, this game would be pretty shallow, but it would also be fun because of the chaos and competitiveness (Think Pedobear Escape).

Out of the two ideas I provided right here, I think the easter egg hunt game would be the best because 1) it's a simple idea 2) it's hectic and fast-paced and 3) games already exist for those who want to race stuff.

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:40:13 AM »
I really want a stranded like gamemode, like winter survival, except less cold.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:39:04 PM »
Summer survival. Survive the steam sales.

On a serious note:

Tank vs. Tank combat?

Jet dog fighting? Helicopters?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I could provide more details if you're interested. Otherwise...

Offline Cable

• hi
  • Respect: +1085
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »

this could actually be a fun gamemode

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »
I've always wanted to see something like a racing gamemode, which could either be skill-based (like Gran Turismo) or combat-based (like Mario Kart).  It would be fun to have a fast-paced game like that, with power-ups and stuff.  Another variation of this idea could be with airplanes, though that may be more of a combat-oriented game instead of a race.
Have you ever been on a GMOD Racer server? You've implied that you knew about racing servers but I didn't know if you knew about it. I used to be active in one and it was pretty fun (Power Ups, upgrading armor/speed/bombs). I don't know if there's any active GMOD Racer servers, but it mostly fills what you want your proposed gamemode.

My idea for a racing gamemode is something like GMOD Racer but without the perma powerups (or with, I just think it would be in the better interest if races were mostly decided on skill, not how much money you've spent on your car), and maybe something like a skin or trail shop for your car using yomocoins. Instead of the perma powerups, I think a class system or allowicating points to increase or decrease speed, armor, etc. would be better. Also a record system would be mandatory, so record holders could flex their e-peen.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »
I've always wanted to see something like a racing gamemode
Gmod and source in general is exceptionally shitty with vehicle handling.

There was a fretta gamemode I made a map for a few years ago called G-Kart. It was supposed to be mario kart in gmod, but it wound up just being pretty bad because of how Gmod handles vehicle networking.

When you control a vehicle in Gmod, there's a massive lag that makes things incredibly unresponsive and really terrible when you need any sort of maneuverability. Basically your client sends an input response to the server, the server runs that, then returns the result to you. Vehicles are entirely serversided which causes a really stupid delay when you're trying to do anything.

That's just my personal opinion though, I don't know if the delay is as obvious or noticeable to other people. I've never scripted vehicles before, so that'd be a new experience. If you go with something like what Tiger Guy suggested, though, people would want to see something as in-depth as TDM cars used, which is a paid addon. Idk, racing games have never been my genre but if it's something that you think might kick off, then what would you guys suggest using for vehicles?

Another idea I had was for a silly, stupid, simple game.  Pretty much, it's a FFA game where everyone spawns empty-handed across an arena, and scattered all over the place are objects of significance (Think an Easter Egg hunt).

That might make an interesting fretta gamemode if you add in a few more powerups and stuff. I'm going to wait and see if coolz winds up updating to Nox's version of fretta though.

Has a hunger games gamemode already been done? It always reminded me of Winter Survival, a time limited FFA where the goal was to be the last survivor. That might be pretty fun to make. Maybe have features for spectators to "help" the living players based on their own performance.

Tank vs. Tank combat?

Jet dog fighting? Helicopters?

Again, vehicles are pretty awful to do in Gmod. Airborne vehicles are even worse. Tanks might not be so bad, but are you just thinking about seeing WoT inside Gmod?

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »
Yeah, there was a pretty noticible lag when you pressed a key to turn/start/stop and when the vehicle actually stopped. The gamemode was fun for what it was worth though. Definately the best use of vehicles in GMod that I can think of.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:57:37 PM »
Have you ever been on a GMOD Racer server? You've implied that you knew about racing servers but I didn't know if you knew about it. I used to be active in one and it was pretty fun (Power Ups, upgrading armor/speed/bombs). I don't know if there's any active GMOD Racer servers, but it mostly fills what you want your proposed gamemode.

That might make an interesting fretta gamemode if you add in a few more powerups and stuff.

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:33:02 PM »
FYI guys, I have that racing gamemode I made for fretta that some people got to test a bit, it's functional but it lacks features that I have planned...

I'm planning to get it to a point where it's ~90% and release it, if I can get a solid block of development time.

That said, I wouldn't mind a different version either! :thumbsup:
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 12:21:24 AM »
So, if there was a way to make a survival game fast-paced enough to maintain interest and also keep the dead players occupied, then I think it would be pretty awesome to see.  Which, going back to my suggestion, is why I believe a quick and easy game would be favorable.

Really, is hunger games a thing? You could have an entirely separate "game" for the spectators to tip the scales for the remaining living players.

FYI guys, I have that racing gamemode I made for fretta that some people got to test a bit, it's functional but it lacks features that I have planned...

I totally understand if you want to keep it as a solo project you want to work on, but I'm always down to collaborate on something  :present:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:23:05 AM by ホロ »

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »

Mhmm very fun :) pretty sure LDT has there server up still

I'd like a post apocalyptic survival gamemode WITHOUT ZOMBIES! Lol

Offline Monorail Cat

• Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:25:43 AM »
Really, is hunger games a thing? You could have an entirely separate "game" for the spectators to tip the scales for the remaining living players.

I misread your post earlier, leading me to believe that there actually was a Hunger Games gamemode.  I don't know if there is or not, but it may be an interesting game to add to Fretta, if it was fast-paced enough.  And I actually kinda like the idea that spectators could be "sponsors".  Maybe there could be some sort of built-in minigame where they get points, and use those points for buying stuff for the "tributes"?

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 06:25:53 AM »
I misread your post earlier, leading me to believe that there actually was a Hunger Games gamemode.  I don't know if there is or not, but it may be an interesting game to add to Fretta, if it was fast-paced enough.  And I actually kinda like the idea that spectators could be "sponsors".  Maybe there could be some sort of built-in minigame where they get points, and use those points for buying stuff for the "tributes"?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Have you seen that game that's been making waves with streamers, where the audience can use the chat to affect what levels, powerups, and challenges the streamer has to face? I think it was called Choice Chamber.

Something like that might be cool for spectators. And I was thinking more of a standalone game than a fretta one. You could contain rounds to being only 15 minutes, with the green-fog thing from H1Z1 forcing people into a fight. As the time goes on, the map gets smaller and smaller until there's only one person left standing.

Offline Loke

• Click Click
  • Windows UserCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• Boom
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »

Spend yomocoin for gifts. If the person you spent yomocoin on wins you gain yomocoin.

Also yomocorp game mode. Sit in front of a popcorn machjne doing ddos protection
Allah's Snackbar is best food place.