17 (39.5%)
No
10 (23.3%)
Not sure
4 (9.3%)
I don't care
12 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Bringing back Annonyboard  (Read 636 times)

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
Re: Bringing back Annonyboard
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43:56 AM »
+1
People can say whats on their mind, talk more freely without having to worry about what's going to happen to them next, they don't need to sugar coat words, it's also a very interesting board, if you guys could forget for a moment about all the spam and stupid shit and think about threads that were actually legitimate you'd see that too.

Okay that's all fine, but can you name a thread that had any significance in your view?
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
Okay that's all fine, but can you name a thread that had any significance in your view?
   I can't name a specific thread because of how long the board has been closed but I remember some threads about people expressing their opinions on possible admin promotions as well as those who were already promoted.
I think there was also a discussion about rnd community in general, there were quite a bit of legitimate stuff going on about other members along with shit posting of course and we also can all remember the retarded spam threads and uncalled offensive posts which caused drama and made community more displeased with each other or at least thats how it looked back then. Not that there were a lot of very important stuff going on there but there was quite a big deal of relatively important things on good and bad sides.

Offline Samo

• N3RDSLAYA2003
  • Windows User
    View More Badges!

• So smug. So sly.
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 06:00:58 AM »
Most, if not all, of the /ab/ shitposters have left RND since it was shut down
He's definitely right. It's very unlikely that we'll have so many shitposts as last time. Though at first I was against the idea, I wouldn't really mind it now. Maybe we could put it to proper use, that's if it can be set up easily and wouldn't cost anything extra for Coolz. Plus it can be taken down whenever. Might as well try it out.

Offline ٶȻhriʂ

• AIM, IT IS ABOUT PRECISION
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• THEY TALK ABOUT MY 1 TAPS
  • Respect: +394
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
Yeah Coolz,you could add something interesting to the site for once

:omgwtfband:

But i can agree with some of the posts,the anonyboard is interesting and probably wouldn't really be nearly as bad as it apparently was the first time it was added.BUT keep in mind some people would probably really want it to go and just shitpost a ton solely for it to get removed.
I think i have to go with Hideo on this one though,it would be nice if posts had an ID like on 4chan so that stupid shit like samefagging and spamming/shitposting could be less of an issue.

Offline jimonions

• the text below is true
  • Old Forum MemberWindows User
    View More Badges!

• the text above is not true
  • Respect: +589
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
+2
What I remember most about that board was feeling sorry for the people getting trashed on.
You cant reply to defend yourself because there's no incentive to have a proper discussion.
Also the bandwagon effect  pretty much drowns out any opposing points.

I haven't seen any much good come from it but it was somewhat entertaining.

Never posted anything in there either.

(JBanned) .:RND`=- DJ myppl8: if i eva become supa admin id ban moo and make hima guest

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
Well then let them have their fun, if they are like that then who cares? Of course the chances are great that at the moment of AB revival there will be much of that but I don't see it lasting for too long.
The people on the opposing side, clearly.

Of course you can say whatever you want, but if you care about the community and other people which is usually the case, that just isn't going to happen. People will worry about consequences and even if they speak, they will censor themselves as much as possible, so that in itself is a very positive thing that anonymity, it solves that problem.
My opinion on this is based off of what actually happened, and how likely I see it reoccurring. I don't see where your opinion is coming from, however.
In the past what I said was absolutely the case and no one did worry about consequences because there were none, and won't be any. Unless you mean having the board removed, which I wouldn't consider much of a consequence.

However I do believe I've mentioned that I don't care much if ab is back as much as I would have previously because I agree with you to an extent. I don't really think it would be nearly as bad as it was before because of key contributers who are no longer around. At the same time I don't doubt that a number of those people would frequent the board even though they're not involved in rnd if they heard about it being back. In fact I've heard from at least one person who may not have been the best influence on the board that they would do so even though they're not a part of rnd. But still, if no one pays attention to it then it wouldn't be a problem. I don't think people will be willing to do that once they're being gossiped about though.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
+1
If someone can't stand negative environment on the Internet because "muh feelings" then I believe they should work on that, negative environment is inevitable on the Internet. They could also just simply stay away from such places if possible.
A negative environment isn't inevitable when administrated.  You need personal accountability for that to happen though.

The people that are negative need to work out their own problems, not the victims.

I've never used the board myself, but I have seen nothing good come of it.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »
The people on the opposing side, clearly.
I can't understand whats the big deal about having someone on the Internet saying bad things about you especially if they are just false accusations that serve no other purpose but just "fuck around" .
My opinion on this is based off of what actually happened, and how likely I see it reoccurring. I don't see where your opinion is coming from, however.
In the past what I said was absolutely the case and no one did worry about consequences because there were none, and won't be any. Unless you mean having the board removed, which I wouldn't consider much of a consequence.
So you're saying that people did not learned anything from it, did not improved in any way and that some are just as careless and others just as easy to offend as they were 2 years ago? Looking back at the past events on AB and assuming that similar things would happen now, I just can't imagine them being nearly as bad now even if the comments would be even worse which is pretty difficult to imagine.

At the same time I don't doubt that a number of those people would frequent the board even though they're not involved in rnd if they heard about it being back. In fact I've heard from at least one person who may not have been the best influence on the board that they would do so even though they're not a part of rnd. But still, if no one pays attention to it then it wouldn't be a problem. I don't think people will be willing to do that once they're being gossiped about though.
Well that doesn't sound too good although I wouldn't jump on the conclusion that it would make a significant difference.

A negative environment isn't inevitable when administrated.  You need personal accountability for that to happen though.

The people that are negative need to work out their own problems, not the victims.

I've never used the board myself, but I have seen nothing good come of it.
You call the people who got offend by AB victims? They do not deserve to be called victims, I mean this isn't even a significant enough case for them to be refereed as victims. People who get killed in videogames could also be referred as victims then too. I mean look at this: they didn't get hurt, they did not lost anything of value and their reputation was not harmed for the most part as the more of such negative comments were made on the AB the more of credibility the board lost. The only thing that could have gotten hurt was their feelings. By not much. Personally I think this is like a cyber-bullying but to a much lesser extent and the fact that people just can't turn off the damn screen to avoid that, I mean it's ridiculous, not only they annoy themselves but by caring they even encourage those who want to fuck around and just don't care in general.

As regarding to the moderation of the board itself, I'm rather skeptical about that. I do not have the confidence that negative posts that refer to someone or something in particular wouldn't just constantly get removed even if they had legitimate content but then again I think we need to decide if we're going to bring this board back first, then we could talk about things like moderation.

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
You call the people who got offend by AB victims? They do not deserve to be called victims, I mean this isn't even a significant enough case for them to be refereed as victims. People who get killed in videogames could also be referred as victims then too. I mean look at this: they didn't get hurt, they did not lost anything of value and their reputation was not harmed for the most part as the more of such negative comments were made on the AB the more of credibility the board lost. The only thing that could have gotten hurt was their feelings. By not much. Personally I think this is like a cyber-bullying but to a much lesser extent and the fact that people just can't turn off the damn screen to avoid that, I mean it's ridiculous, not only they annoy themselves but by caring they even encourage those who want to fuck around and just don't care in general.

As regarding to the moderation of the board itself, I'm rather skeptical about that. I do not have the confidence that negative posts that refer to someone or something in particular wouldn't just constantly get removed even if they had legitimate content but then again I think we need to decide if we're going to bring this board back first, then we could talk about things like moderation.

I'm just pointing out flaws in your argument, not refering to any particular group here.  To blame people for getting bullied and then taking offense is fundamentally wrong.

It's best not to provide an environment where those things happen.

I'm interested in hearing more posotives instead "people should just deal with it" or similar "ignore-it" type philosophies.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
I can't understand whats the big deal about having someone on the Internet saying bad things about you especially if they are just false accusations that serve no other purpose but just "fuck around" .So you're saying that people did not learned anything from it, did not improved in any way and that some are just as careless and others just as easy to offend as they were 2 years ago? Looking back at the past events on AB and assuming that similar things would happen now, I just can't imagine them being nearly as bad now even if the comments would be even worse which is pretty difficult to imagine.
Well that doesn't sound too good although I wouldn't jump on the conclusion that it would make a significant difference.

You seem to often miss the whole point of what I'm saying. I said that I don't think re-adding ab would be a big deal but I don't think it'd be worth it either, and I've stated that many times. You're exaggerating what I'm saying or refusing to acknowledge it.
The whole point of this is that no, it's not the end of the world clearly, but people shouldn't have to deal with it when there's in my opinion (as well as others) absolutely no benefit to it. Especially when it's just more work for coolz to add it back only for it to possibly be removed again.

I would like to know why ab is so important for this thread to have to come up nearly every month though... By now I would have expected people to drop it with all the constant conversations on this just for it to get denied once again. I view ab as a pretty minor addition if that, don't you?

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
I'm just pointing out flaws in your argument, not refering to any particular group here.  To blame people for getting bullied and then taking offense is fundamentally wrong.

It's best not to provide an environment where those things happen.

I'm interested in hearing more posotives instead "people should just deal with it" or similar "ignore-it" type philosophies.
Let's try to keep the discussion without "muh feelings" logic involved
I mean look people this community isn't full of children, people here can handle themselves and we don't even know for sure how it would be like if AB would be brought back all we can do is speculate so saying that it will be just as bad and everything will go exactly the same so we shouldn't bring it back is just wrong.

You seem to often miss the whole point of what I'm saying. I said that I don't think re-adding ab would be a big deal but I don't think it'd be worth it either, and I've stated that many times. You're exaggerating what I'm saying or refusing to acknowledge it.
The whole point of this is that no, it's not the end of the world clearly, but people shouldn't have to deal with it when there's in my opinion (as well as others) absolutely no benefit to it. Especially when it's just more work for coolz to add it back only for it to possibly be removed again.
Just as I may fail to understand what you're saying you also seem to not understand the benefits of it as well. Also keep in mind that I'm not the only one supporting it as well.

I would like to know why ab is so important for this thread to have to come up nearly every month though... By now I would have expected people to drop it with all the constant conversations on this just for it to get denied once again. I view ab as a pretty minor addition if that, don't you?
Clearly there are people who would like having it back including me and as minor as it may seem, it looks like there is a good amount of people who think that all the negative stuff that could possibly be said there would be a big deal. Personally I don't think it's a huge addition but it's something that we don't have at all on these forums.

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »
I mean look people this community isn't full of children, people here can handle themselves and we don't even know for sure how it would be like if AB would be brought back all we can do is speculate so saying that it will be just as bad and everything will go exactly the same so we shouldn't bring it back is just wrong.
Just as I may fail to understand what you're saying you also seem to not understand the benefits of it as well. Also keep in mind that I'm not the only one supporting it as well.
Clearly there are people who would like having it back including me and as minor as it may seem, it looks like there is a good amount of people who think that all the negative stuff that could possibly be said there would be a big deal. Personally I don't think it's a huge addition but it's something that we don't have at all on these forums.
It's minor enough in my opinion that these threads just become a nuisance. I almost feel like making a suggestion thread to delete this suggestion thread every time it comes up every month just to be ironic. And you're right, I don't understand the benefits because the only notable one is that it allows better discussion or w.e because people don't have to be careful about what they say, which I strongly disagree with.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
It's minor enough in my opinion that these threads just become a nuisance. I almost feel like making a suggestion thread to delete this suggestion thread every time it comes up every month just to be ironic.
I do not think that it would succeed.
And you're right, I don't understand the benefits because the only notable one is that it allows better discussion or w.e because people don't have to be careful about what they say, which I strongly disagree with.
You strongly disagree with the benefit of allowing better discussions and letting people act more freely in it?

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
It's minor enough in my opinion that these threads just become a nuisance. I almost feel like making a suggestion thread to delete this suggestion thread every time it comes up every month just to be ironic. And you're right, I don't understand the benefits because the only notable one is that it allows better discussion or w.e because people don't have to be careful about what they say, which I strongly disagree with.
Are there even any active issues between other members at this point?

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
+1
Are there even any active issues between other members at this point?
Nothing like previously of course. But it's not only about how our members would react. Like I said in a previous post which I don't care to repeat.

I do not think that it would succeed.You strongly disagree with the benefit of allowing better discussions and letting people act more freely in it?
I'm obviously not doing that as I choose to view and reply to this thread, it was sarcasm.
I'm obviously not saying I strongly disagree with "the benefit of allowing better discussions and letting people act more freely" as obviously for one that's your opinion of what it allows and as I previously said:

in my opinion if you have something that you cant say with your identity known, then its not worth saying to begin with
Personally after genuinely considering it, I can only come up with negative motives for anything to strictly only be able to be said anonymously.

Here's a point that hasn't been mentioned however, which might allow you to understand another bit of where I'm coming from. Every time anyone ever has recommended adding back this board it has never once been for reasons like "it was/could be a really fun board" or "it allows us to connect as a community" or "more people will enjoy the website/forums." Instead, it has only ever been "it allows people to say stuff without anyone knowing who it is" and reasons why that's good.Since I personally disagree with that, I can only think of negative reasons for wanting this and negative outcomes.

I'll be totally honest, if any of the reasons I first mentioned were actually the reason people wanted ab I would either care so little as not to post anything, or maybe even support adding it back. Even after being pressured for a reason ab would benefit us I don't believe I saw a single reply mention anything along those lines.