Poll

Should I continue working on my map?

Yes.
Ok.
No.

Author Topic: ttt_jail/prison/prisonbreak/jailbreak/idk yet  (Read 196 times)

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
ttt_jail/prison/prisonbreak/jailbreak/idk yet
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
+2
Ok.
A good while back, Tezuni made ttt_conspiracy.  It was awesome, and I decided to attempt map-making on my own, so he helped me configure and all that.  I started a map sometime last year (I forget exactly when...) that I haven't touched for a while.  I am contemplating whether or not I should continue it, or just scrap it.  I have a few screenshots I took (Not much detail. It's under construction.):

Like I said, if I decide to finish the map, I will improve detail/textures/etc.  As David Johnston, creator of de_Dust and some other maps, once put it, "Gameplay first, geometry second, perfect texture alignment third."  It's actually kind of neat, this guy was 16 when he made Dust.  He looked at the first pics from Valve of tf2, and he recreated the scene, and it became Dust. 

Anyways, back to my map.  My future plans:
  • Players will be able to punch out walls to reveal tunnels.  Some tunnels will lead nowhere, some will lead to a hub which goes outside, and some will have nice weps in them.
  • The Objective:  First, players need to gather items around the map that will act as a lock-and-key function.  For example, the need to collect a muffler, axle, and wheels for a car, then explosives, fuse, and detonator for a bomb to blow up a barricade.  Once both are completed, inno's win and the car drives away.  There will be sub-objectives, like, getting a wheel may need a keycard to open a jail gate, etc.
  • 3D Skybox:  I will make a 3D skybox that shows more of the jail complex.
  • A T-tester:  This will most likely be a security checkpoint.  However, the colors will be inverted.  Because the terrorists are "technically" bad-guys and the traitors are "technically" the good-guys, the light will be green for traitors and red for inno's.  There will be an instructions button, so people know this.
  • A bathroom: This will be pretty much like the ones in Nova Prospekt.
  • The storage area:  This will be in the large alley-way.  There will be a truck container backed up to a room that will look a bit like the storage room in ttt_shippingcenter_b1.
  • And now, my favorite part, the TELEPORTER:  I am not quite sure yet how I will incorporate this into the map design, but it will happen.  There will be a teleporter that teleports you (no way!) to a random set location, much like in ttt_arctic_complex.  These locations will be mainly 3 catagories:  Normal, Special, and Death. 
    • Normal:  Typical random location, such as in the cafeteria.
    • Special:  Location where there are special weapons, excluding traitor or detective weps.
    • Death (why i'm excited about this):  These locations will be just deathrooms.  For example, one would be a hallway.  The lights go out, and a spotlight is shining at the end of hallway.  A "Barney" (the dinosaur) texture comes out of the wall, and approaches you as the "i love you" song is playing.  He crushes you to death at the back of the hallway.  Another example is just a black-colored box with dust motes standing still, resembling outer space.  You suffocate.

I have come to a decision.  If I get 10 positive votes, I will begin throwing myself into overdrive to complete this map.  However, I will most likely post a few potentially idiotic questions.  If you would like to see my map, pm me or message me over Steam, and I will give you the .bsp.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:43:03 PM by Monorail Cat »

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

Re: ttt_jail/prison/prisonbreak/jailbreak/idk yet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »
Ok, here we go.  First question:  My map isn't compiling correctly anymore.  It worked fine yesterday.  I save the map into /garrysmod/garrysmod/maps, but the compiling doesn't find it (or something).  Here's the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
+1
Ok, here we go.  First question:  My map isn't compiling correctly anymore.  It worked fine yesterday.  I save the map into /garrysmod/garrysmod/maps, but the compiling doesn't find it (or something).  Here's the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Try to remake Brush 90497 (bad normal). It isn't compiling the rest of the map because the map isn't successfully passing the vbsp compile.

As for the rest of the map, it looks good. Only thing that I recommend (something that I notice about the overplayed maps on TTT) is to not have long hallways connecting main areas. It gives the traitor more opportunity to slip by.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Monorail Cat

• Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:54:46 AM »
Try to remake Brush 90497 (bad normal).

How do I find brush 90497?  Thanks for the tip!

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
+1
I think go to View > Go to Brush Number. No problem.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
Looking forward to this  :)

Msg me on Steam if you need any help.

Offline Monorail Cat

• Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
Looking forward to this  :)

Msg me on Steam if you need any help.

Thanks, I will.  And Alkaline, that was very helpful.  Thanks!