.:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers

Technology (Read Only) => Mapping => Topic started by: Monorail Cat on April 02, 2013, 01:40:08 PM

Title: ttt_jail/prison/prisonbreak/jailbreak/idk yet
Post by: Monorail Cat on April 02, 2013, 01:40:08 PM
Ok.
A good while back, Tezuni made ttt_conspiracy.  It was awesome, and I decided to attempt map-making on my own, so he helped me configure and all that.  I started a map sometime last year (I forget exactly when...) that I haven't touched for a while.  I am contemplating whether or not I should continue it, or just scrap it.  I have a few screenshots I took (Not much detail. It's under construction.):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like I said, if I decide to finish the map, I will improve detail/textures/etc.  As David Johnston, creator of de_Dust and some other maps, once put it, "Gameplay first, geometry second, perfect texture alignment third."  It's actually kind of neat, this guy was 16 when he made Dust.  He looked at the first pics from Valve of tf2, and he recreated the scene, and it became Dust. 

Anyways, back to my map.  My future plans:

I have come to a decision.  If I get 10 positive votes, I will begin throwing myself into overdrive to complete this map.  However, I will most likely post a few potentially idiotic questions.  If you would like to see my map, pm me or message me over Steam, and I will give you the .bsp.
Title: Re: ttt_jail/prison/prisonbreak/jailbreak/idk yet
Post by: Monorail Cat on April 03, 2013, 06:00:21 AM
Ok, here we go.  First question:  My map isn't compiling correctly anymore.  It worked fine yesterday.  I save the map into /garrysmod/garrysmod/maps, but the compiling doesn't find it (or something).  Here's the log:

Post by: Alkaline on April 06, 2013, 04:30:59 PM
Ok, here we go.  First question:  My map isn't compiling correctly anymore.  It worked fine yesterday.  I save the map into /garrysmod/garrysmod/maps, but the compiling doesn't find it (or something).  Here's the log:

Try to remake Brush 90497 (bad normal). It isn't compiling the rest of the map because the map isn't successfully passing the vbsp compile.

As for the rest of the map, it looks good. Only thing that I recommend (something that I notice about the overplayed maps on TTT) is to not have long hallways connecting main areas. It gives the traitor more opportunity to slip by.
Post by: Monorail Cat on April 07, 2013, 05:54:46 AM
Try to remake Brush 90497 (bad normal).

How do I find brush 90497?  Thanks for the tip!
Post by: Alkaline on April 07, 2013, 09:55:52 AM
I think go to View > Go to Brush Number. No problem.
Post by: TehHank on April 07, 2013, 03:31:57 PM
Looking forward to this  :)

Msg me on Steam if you need any help.
Post by: Monorail Cat on April 07, 2013, 04:11:10 PM
Looking forward to this  :)

Msg me on Steam if you need any help.

Thanks, I will.  And Alkaline, that was very helpful.  Thanks!