Author Topic: Application: KHMarie12  (Read 554 times)

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
Application: KHMarie12
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
Marie requested I review her application and post it if I felt it was acceptable; as you can see I felt it met specifications. ;)

I personally feel Marie would be a great asset to the community as an admin, and I give her my full recommendation.

Marie's Application:

†Name:
              Marie

†My Steam ID:
             STEAM_0:1:27116967

†Birthday:
             May 14

†About Me:
             Hello everyone, and thank you for reading my application! I am a sophomore in High school. My main interests include, but are not limited to: art, graphics, animating, a bit of piano, and swimming. I love dogs, and my favorite video game is Kingdom Hearts and the Final Fantasy series. I am fairly close with most people who are active daily on the servers, and enjoy talking and being apart of the activities that go on within it.

†I Began Playing:
             I have been apart of the rNd community since the summer of 2010, and registered on the forums, December 13th, 2010. I have been a VIP in this community since December 14th, 2011.

There was a decent down time I had in-between when I joined and my VIP app due to major computer issues, but since then I now have more than one computer, and do not see that type of issue happening again in the future.

†Times online:
             I am on every single day. On a school day I usually get on 3pm EST time and stay on till about 1-3am. During breaks or summer, I can be on 24/7 unless sleeping, or out.

†Location:
            East Coast, USA

†Servers I mostly play on:

•Wirebuild
           •Zombie Survival
           •Trouble in Terrorist Town
           •Minecraft

†Why I should be Admin:
           I have been an active part of the community for a while now, and though I may not always be able to act out my role as a VIP, every opportunity I get I take advantage of that responsibility I have. Saying that, I also take every bit of responsibility I have in very high regard. I take everything that I find to be important, seriously. Something I take in mind is that I have a past of being “too stubborn” about my opinion, which may or may not make people think I am like an unmovable statue. I can assure you, that I’ve realized fully that this position is a team, not a one-man show. I know when I should back down, if told otherwise, unless I know for a 100% fact this is not the case.

†Why I want to be Admin:
           I would love to be able to contribute and help the servers more than I do now. This community means a lot to me, and I’d love to be a person who represents it in the strongest way possible. I may not be the most tech-savvy person out there, but I can and will do anything I can to be useful. I also want to be someone anyone can come to for problems, not just related to the servers, but personally as well. I recently contributed some Admin banners (can be seen above Admins names where previous “Global Moderator” tag was) and am working on more projects with Coolz for rNd.

†Situations:
          After reading fellow members apps for inspiration, I have come to the conclusion that this particular part of the app can become a “copy-paste the rules” section. I would like to change that up a bit, and maybe bring up situations that seem a bit “unlikely” but have happened before in the past, and are important to understand how to handle. We all know the set rules that everyone must follow, and how to deal with that situation, but what about something a bit unusual?

Spoiler: Admin Situations (click to show/hide)

†Conclusion
         Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to read my application! It means a lot to me, and every response, negative or positive, means something to me. I am hoping you will find me to be an acceptable addition to the admin team, and if not, I completely understand. Again thank you. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:17:35 PM by Xrain »
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
Re: Application: KHMarie12
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »
You do have a great personality and I'm fairly sure that there wouldn't be any situations where you would base your opinion on a grudge or some other silly thing, from what I've seen you're very helpful and always try to contribute, however, I myself haven't seen you dealing with trouble in-game enough times to make a fair opinion on that, but I can't say that you're bad at it either, and while you may not be one of the most active members in-game but I'm pretty sure that you would come help if asked.

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:29:52 AM »
One of the most popular players in our community. Has a wonderful personality and extremely sociable. Can not seem to find anyone that can't get along with Marie. However i do have to agree with Prox with that i have really never seen Marie dealing with trouble in-game. Besides that, i think Marie is a great candidate for Admin.

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:32:59 AM »
With regards to the others' opinion of "never really see helping", I've talked with Marie about this several times. She's usually playing with other vips/admins, or simply is not called in-game to help. I can't say why because I don't know, but what I DO know is that she is always willing to help in-game, but rarely receives the opportunity to do so.

Having spent as much time talking as I have with her, I know she can handle this position. She possesses the drive and knowledge needed, and I can say personally that I trust her.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
Very viable imo, such a great help to the community and a fun person to be talking to.

I think should would be ready for position as admin.

Offline Yellow Killer

• Windows UserCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• It's a YellowCoin, not a YomoCoin.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »
I have been around with Marie ever since she has joined the community, all I can say is that she would a great candidate for admin. She is friendly, she helps the community, and many people know her well.  :thumbsup:
Remember to yellow when I kill you.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
While I agree with a lot that was said here, and that I'm not against a promotion, I just feel that there are others who should be promoted before her. Right now, there are other candidates who are much more active on the servers themselves, and do a lot more in terms of helping control and manage them.

Marie is indeed a very friendly and approachable person, which is why she makes a good candidate for admin, but right now we don't have very much administration on the actual servers. Ruben has been playing more recently than almost every admin we have, and if one of the other candidates were promoted, they'd be able to help him out.

With regards to the others' opinion of "never really see helping", I've talked with Marie about this several times. She's usually playing with other vips/admins, or simply is not called in-game to help. I can't say why because I don't know, but what I DO know is that she is always willing to help in-game, but rarely receives the opportunity to do so.

And this is what I'm talking about. She's waiting for someone to come and ask her for help as opposed to taking the initiative and actually helping manage the servers. We have other candidates who actively hunt out people causing trouble, and who are actually really good at it. They don't wait for someone to start complaining about someone causing problems, they stop the problems before they even arise. Those are the ones who we should be trying to promote at the moment.

tl;dr, I'm okay with a promotion, but not until other, more viable candidates are promoted.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
While I agree with a lot that was said here, and that I'm not against a promotion, I just feel that there are others who should be promoted before her. Right now, there are other candidates who are much more active on the servers themselves, and do a lot more in terms of helping control and manage them.

Marie is indeed a very friendly and approachable person, which is why she makes a good candidate for admin, but right now we don't have very much administration on the actual servers. Ruben has been playing more recently than almost every admin we have, and if one of the other candidates were promoted, they'd be able to help him out.

And this is what I'm talking about. She's waiting for someone to come and ask her for help as opposed to taking the initiative and actually helping manage the servers. We have other candidates who actively hunt out people causing trouble, and who are actually really good at it. They don't wait for someone to start complaining about someone causing problems, they stop the problems before they even arise. Those are the ones who we should be trying to promote at the moment.

tl;dr, I'm okay with a promotion, but not until other, more viable candidates are promoted.

Admin is not strictly an server administration position. VIP definitely is, but admin is a different position.

If that were the case Minic, jimonions, yomo, and myself would have no reason to be admin. Each however has their own contribution, Minic helps coolz with alot of the back-end server management stuff, Jim creates maps for the servers, yomo handles relations with the Japanese side of the community. Each has contributed much more than what I have detailed here. But on the whole they aren't all that active in the servers themselves.

Along this similar vein Marie has redone individual banner for all the admins, as well as helping coolz with some other projects not yet announced.

An admin is more of a community manager than anything else. Each admin has something unique to contribute to the servers, while at the same time doing what they can to share the administrative load involved in running the community.

The admin powers are simply a way to remove restrictions in order to expand the help we are able to provide the community. The powers aren't the end goal, simply a tool in the chest.

Admin is not a position where we make a list arranging how good of admins they would be and select from the top. There is no quota for how many admins we need, each admin is to the best of our ability considered independently from the other candidates.

While it would be nice to have some more admins that are very active in patrolling the servers, in my experience nearly all the admins start out that way, but over time everyone's patrol time slowly decreases until it settles to a much lower amount. It's just the nature of the system. We don't pay our admins for their time. Because of this I am very hesitant to recommend promoting admins solely on their attendance of the servers themselves.

I still stand by my recommendation for Marie, I think her abilities in what she could contribute on the community management side far outweighs her more sporadic attendance of the servers.

I of all people am an example of an admin who can't hunt around the servers all the time for ner-do-wells. I simply have too many responsibilities in my life to make that kind of time commitment. While at the same time I still do everything in my power to better the community.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »
Admin is not strictly an server administration position. VIP definitely is, but admin is a different position.

Admin is not a position where we make a list arranging how good of admins they would be and select from the top. There is no quota for how many admins we need, each admin is to the best of our ability considered independently from the other candidates.

You completely misunderstood my post.

I wasn't saying she wasn't a bad candidate, nor did I say I was against her promotion. I never said she had to be policing the servers to get my vote. I said that there are other candidates out there right now that, in a way, need the promotion. They've been doing everything we haven't, and yet, everyone is so eager to promote Marie right away. She isn't one of those people.

Plus, it's not like her being a VIP has stopped people from treating her like an admin anyways.

So let me rephrase myself,

I don't have any problems with Marie as an admin, but there are others who SHOULD be promoted before her, due to what they're bringing to the table. We need more server administration. Not community management. I'm not saying we can't have more, but priority of the promotions should be focused on getting more people actively monitoring the servers, because for what they're doing, they need admin for. For what Marie HAS BEEN doing, admin isn't something that's an immediate necessity.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:05:05 AM by Fleet Commander Hanyuu »

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:32:53 AM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright guys,

While you are giving an opinion on the value of Marie as admin - that's fine, but Snivy you can't sit there and say what the community needs or not, as it's not really your place, this is an admin application and it's a place to post your opinions about the admin, with which you might disagree. But lets allow other opinions to also be posted, not attempt to speak for everyone, and not derail the potential of the application.

Like I said in the admin meeting, what matters in an admin is what I see them capable of contributing. Being an admin removes that reliance on only server administration, as seen with many of the current admins that we have - that have found ways to make large and unforgettable contributions to the servers without actually playing them.

This is what we went over in the admin meeting and I will hopefully see other people's comments on this application. ( Please PM with larger arguments to avoid derailing the application's potential )
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:31:36 AM »
I hope you guys promote based on actual contribution to the servers than popularity.

Marie can help with projects without being admin, but server administration is WAY more efficient if you're admin.

I'll make a full post explaining myself later.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
I hope you guys promote based on actual contribution to the servers than popularity.

Marie can help with projects without being admin, but server administration is WAY more efficient if you're admin.

I'll make a full post explaining myself later.

I hope you know that if I were to promote solely based upon popularity there would already be promotions and we also wouldn't have more than half of the admins we have now.

Realize that I promote based on a few reasons and that I already explained that in the previous post.

Not actually being an admin I don't see how you could even begin to judge what is available to the admins and what makes what more efficient for them.

Please continue to make opinions on the application and not on my style of promotion as I have already explained myself.
 ▲

pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
I hope you know that if I were to promote solely based upon popularity there would already be promotions and we also wouldn't have more than half of the admins we have now.

Realize that I promote based on a few reasons and that I already explained that in the previous post.

Not actually being an admin I don't see how you could even begin to judge what is available to the admins and what makes what more efficient for them.

Please continue to make opinions on the application and not on my style of promotion as I have already explained myself.
What I meant to say is that she shouldn't be promoted because she has more charisma and charm, than let's say Prox. While he's done way more admin-like stuff than Marie has (he has contributed to 57 bans according to sourcebans to Maries 4/ he has posted 67 report threads to Maries 0(a good majority of them being approved too)), he isn't getting as much consideration because he isn't as smooth as her. I just don't think it's fair to him in my opinion.

Okay, so back to the actual topic of discussion.

These are my pros and cons of Marie

Pros: Cares about servers.
Friendly most of the time.
Is one of the most popular people in the community.

Cons: Hasn't really done that much admin-like stuff.
Stubborn to change opinions once she has made one.

While she is a good person, I believe that Juan and Prox have done more to be promoted. She's more of an entertainer than an administrator. It wouldn't be fair to them if she got promoted and they didn't.

She is definitely an alright candidate, she just isn't the best one around in my opinion.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline coolzeldad

View More Badges!

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
What I meant to say is that she shouldn't be promoted because she has more charisma and charm, than let's say Prox. While he's done way more admin-like stuff than Marie has (he has contributed to 57 bans according to sourcebans to Maries 4/ he has posted 67 report threads to Maries 0(a good majority of them being approved too)), he isn't getting as much consideration because he isn't as smooth as her. I just don't think it's fair to him in my opinion.

Please actually read what I say before you post the exact same thing you said, this is not about how I promote - your opinions on her are fine.

Also keep in mind approachability is an important thing when you represent the community, which is part of your responsibility as an admin.

I can see how you could speculate, but how would you know how much consideration each admin is getting, I have never talked to you about this.

You also don't have to quote statistics to me, I am the one that has made them available.

But you're right, I am also considering Prox based upon his high level of help with reports and moderation.
 ▲

pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
I personally remember Marie from the first time she joined the community, those good ol times in Zombie Survival... Anyway, while she has not been really active around the servers, she still helps whenever she gets the call of duty, and while she has not really been around to hand bans, she is still extremely helpful on the forums and the overall community she is obviously a great artist and has done many contributions to the servers, I trust her a lot because of previous discussions we have had together and is overall an easily approachable person. Personally I would love to see her as an admin in this community, I just wish I could see her a bit more active on the servers themselves but as Xrain said I think I've only seen Jim on TTT about once in my years here.. That being said Marie is a well trusted member and would do well in the position of admin :thumbsup:

THANKS CRYPTO BB