Author Topic: DayZ - a Zombie Survival modification for Arma 2  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
DayZ - a Zombie Survival modification for Arma 2
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:33:20 PM »
+5
DayZ - The Survivors

Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is Day Z - This is your story.

Some of you /v/ and /vg/ fags might have heard of this already. DayZ is an open world, player driven mod for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. The closest comparison I can think of, in terms of gameplay, is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. You get hungry, thirsty, can bleed, break bones, and you find better gear and items by looting houses and buildings throughout the entire map.

I've been playing the mod for the last four days or so, and got the game (<3 gamefreak) exclusively FOR the mod. I managed to convince a few people I know to buy the game too, and I know they've been enjoying it as well.

Let me start off by explaining all the major features of the game.

World
  • Map is xbox huge (225km2). It literally takes an hour to travel from one corner to another.
  • Weapons and Items are persistent. Say you set up a tent somewhere in the wilderness. When you come back, it'll still be there.
  • Lots of places to explore. I've played for close to 50 hours now, and I've only explored two of the nine major cities.
Vehicles
  • Boats, Cars, and even Huey's if you're determined.
  • They take a large effort to construct, and you generally can't do it alone.
Zombies
  • Similar to 28 weeks later or Left 4 Dead.
  • Are extremely fast, but easy to kill.
  • Have realistic hearing, with degraded eyesight. Keep that in mind when you decide to shoot, as if you fire a high-caliber gun in a city, you could literally alert every zombie in the vicinity.
Inventory/Items
  • You start off with a nub-tier pistol.
  • Primaries are rather easy to find, if you know where to look.
  • The farther north you travel, the better guns you'll find.
  • You have limited inventory and backpack space (again, similar to Stalker).
Karma/Humanity System
  • Humanity system similar to Fallout's karma.
  • No penalties or advantages, people with negative humanity just spawn with a different skin.
  • Designed to make it easier to spot out the PKers.
  • Gain humanity by healing others, mending wounds of others, or killing bandits.
  • Lose humanity by killing other survivors.
Servers
  • Average of 50 players per server.
  • Multiple servers, across many different countries.
  • Items are saved to a global database. If you pick up a rifle in Cherno on US1, and you join EU3, you'll spawn in the same location you logged off with the same items.

If you plan to get the mod, here are some simple installation instructions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm hoping this thread can be used to arrange group ups and shit. We already have about four people from RND playing this. It really couldn't hurt to have more.

Maybe we can actually get a camp set up somewhere with enough people.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
Re: DayZ - a Zombie Survival modification for Arma 2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »
Was waiting for you post this up, lol!

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:26 PM »
fuck yes.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »

I was extremely lazy, and having too much fun in-game to take the time to make it. Heh.

So far, the only people in RND to buy this solely for the mod are Me, Axule, Franklin, and Juan.

If we can start a band of 6-ish people, we could probably start securing permanent housing up in the north, granted we can organize ourselves enough.

Also, here's a map of the world.

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-chernarus/map-of-chernarus_en.html

This could also be a "post your story thread" considering you could write a book on your adventures here.

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
XD so was i....
Anyway, i was planning on making a video tutorial for my Youtube but got sidetracked by the game xD...
Tomorrow i might do it, also if we can get (like snivy said) 6 people i think i can make lets plays or something because this game is SOOO freaking amazing, also its in Alpha so we are very excited for the upcoming updates..

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline Bovicide

• The enormous
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
If you get too attached to your stuff beware, you face:

RIGHT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

Offline Ἆxule

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »
Let me give this:

After I got the mechanics of the game down and such, I started to head father in the mainland. I've only ever gone farther in solo because Snivy and the others always were to far from me to bother.
My tactic was to follow a road heading north and hit a few cities. For me, to reach all the way to the NW Airfield, it took about 2hrs, with a little bit of a detour due to bad direction. With the cities I hit on the way, I got extremely nice supplies. However, the three times I've gone to the NW Airfield, I've ended up dying.

The first time was a brand new experience for me. I wasn't fully aware that people would camp there forever. When I go to the edge of the Airfield getting to enter in, I see a dude. We end up finding out we're friendly and start to walk in. The moment we step out of the forest line, this dude get's taken out by a sniper. I start sprinting off in the opposite direction and miss like four or five shots. I really wanted to get this guy, so I started to walk around the long way so I could flank him. I get lucky like three more times with him missing shots before he finally gets me. Not wanting to give this guy my gear, I force close once he makes me pass out and bleed out in another server.

The second time was by a zombie. Of course at first, I was able to get revived by Sanders and Snivy. However, it turns out an hour or so later, my character didn't save. So when I rejoin, I'm back to where I was when I was bleeding to death.

The third time I was extremely more careful. I went around the whole forest line to make sure there weren't any snipers hiding there. Once I finished, I started crawling into each hanger. Once I reach the watch tower, I alert the horde and head to the top. Up there, I find a survivor who has killed a bandit. I tell him I'm friendly and all is good. We start killing the zeds who come up and all until he decides to throw a nade down below. I wasn't aware it was a grenade until I was dead...

So yeah, moral of the story, you'll more than likely die at the NW Airfield.

If you get too attached to your stuff beware, you face:

RIGHT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

Yeah, I've spent majority of my time playing this game walking all the way up to NW Airfield and dying there. It is annoying as hell. I've learned to just avoid it and head back down to the coast once I've gotten decent supplies.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:17:49 PM by Ἆxule »

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
So yeah, moral of the story, you'll more than likely die at the NW Airfield.

You'll die almost anywhere.

The average player lifespan is only four hours, after all.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »
I fucking hate my shitty economy. This looks like I'll QQ my eyes out. You guise should have a srs journal for this.

"Day 1:

I... killed a survivor. When I returned from the city, I found someone lurking inside my tent. I shouted at him, but he just shot back. He missed, I... I didn't..."

Offline Ἆxule

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »

Moral of the story *correction*- Don't expect to survive in the NW Airfield while doing it solo

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
I fucking hate my shitty economy. This looks like I'll QQ my eyes out. You guise should have a srs journal for this.

"Day 1:

I... killed a survivor. When I returned from the city, I found someone lurking inside my tent. I shouted at him, but he just shot back. He missed, I... I didn't..."

PFFFT.

A daily journal is crazy. Every hour you're alive is a blessing.

I don't think any of us have had our characters for longer than a few hours.

It's not that bad though, cause you gradually learn where things are, which roads to take, etc.

You could spend the first 10 hours playing the game trying to find your first primary weapon, but once you know where to look and how to get there, you could find another in half an hour.

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• POENIS
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »

I lived about 24 hours ( in all about 15 hours of gameplay) just to get assfucked by 9 zombies and bleed to death lol

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline Bovicide

• The enormous
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
Thanks to some careful planning and good companions, ive been around for ~8 hr with current save. When i least expect the asspain i know it'll hit from a renegade ladder.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
Thanks to some careful planning and good companions, ive been around for ~8 hr with current save. When i least expect the asspain i know it'll hit from a renegade ladder.

Those fucking ladders.

Make sure you always carry morphine around. God fucking damnit.

I think three of my lives were ended because of them. They're possibly the biggest boss in the entire game.

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• POENIS
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »
+2
Those fucking ladders.

Make sure you always carry morphine around. God fucking damnit.

I think three of my lives were ended because of them. They're possibly the biggest boss in the entire game.

I warned you about ladders bro.

I told you man
I TOLD you About  ladders!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:57:01 PM by Juan_Ambriz »

THANKS CRYPTO BB