Author Topic: "Black and Blue Screen of Death"  (Read 138 times)

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
"Black and Blue Screen of Death"
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
I just got home from work, and wanted to check a few things before I started homework.
I went to Minecraft first, just to check up on a few things, and during that time, my left monitor (also main) just went black. The right one was still working fine however, so I'm not sure.

It wouldn't shutdown itself, so I turned off the power. Turning it back on, it still wouldn't work, so I decided to turn off everything and let it rest.

After about 10min or so, I turned it back on and it all seemed to work just fine. But, after jjoining minecraft again, the screen showed the "Blue Screen of Death", and now I'm letting it rest a bit more hoping it works.

Any idea what's going on?

Offline Samo

• N3RDSLAYA2003
  • Windows User
    View More Badges!

• So smug. So sly.
  • Respect: +158
Re: "Black and Blue Screen of Death"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 04:07:45 AM »
Probaly your Drivers or the fact that Minecraft/Java is a bitch on your CPU. Even in the menus. While running my bukkit server and playing the game, I got the same problem. Its only happened once though...

Offline Ἆxule

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »
Well I let it sit for a bit, and it seems to work fine again.
/lock I suppose

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »
NOPE.

Share specs.

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
Not sure if its the certain bug I am aware of, but its quite common.

Unplug all USB and devices except your mouse and keyboard.
Restart your computer.
If you are running legit windows, try run a windows update.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline WarEclipse™

• Hello, I'm WarEclipse.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
The Black Screen of Death (BSoD[1] or BlSoD) is generally a colloquialism used for the black error screen displayed by some operating systems after encountering a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down to prevent damage. It's basically like a Blue Screen of Death.

Windows 3.x --the black screen of death is the behaviour that occurred when a DOS-based application failed to execute properly. It was often known to occur in connection with attempting certain operations while networking drivers were resident in jury. (Commonly, but not exclusively, it was seen while the Novell NetWare client for DOS, NETX, was loaded.)

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 also display a Black Screen of Death when the operating system cannot boot. This is usually due to a missing file. This also happens when the user enables file compression on all files and the operating system compresses. Often the user must reinstall Windows, if the missing file is critical to the boot process. However, more often than not the boot screen will inform the user of the missing file. If the operating system is compressed, it will not be able to boot, even into safe mode.
In late 2009 several new reports of the Black Screen of Death in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 emerged. At first several claims pointed at a Windows Update. It was later recanted by Prevx as an erroneous report. Microsoft reported that no security update was causing the issue, and it may be tied to malicious software, or malware. In other cases, the black screen of death was replaced with the Blue Screen of Death. When you get the black screen of death, it may be possible that the computer has overheated.
Early builds of Windows 8 feature a black screen of death, in place of the traditional blue screen, that appears to indicate a Stop error. The Windows 8 black screen of death is simplified compared to the previous blue screen, omitting instructions that the user is recommended to take.

A black screen can be encountered on the Nintendo GameCube if the game disc is dirty or damaged or if there is an internal problem with the system. The message that displays on-screen is "An error has occurred. Turn the power off and check the Nintendo GameCube instruction booklet for further instructions."
Upon its international release on March 2011, users of the Nintendo 3DS have reported getting a black screen of death error when playing certain games. In response, Nintendo has advised consumers to download the latest firmware update to alleviate the problem.
A black screen of death can be found on a Playstation if a disc is damaged and/or dirty. The BlSOD can also be triggered if a pirated Playstation 2 game is inserted.

It's possible you need to update your video card...or even get a new one. But either way, it's obviously a Video/card type of problem.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:39:10 PM by WarEclipse™ »

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
The Black Screen of Death (BSoD[1] or BlSoD) is generally a colloquialism used for the black error screen displayed by some operating systems after encountering a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down to prevent damage. It's basically like a Blue Screen of Death.

Windows 3.x --the black screen of death is the behaviour that occurred when a DOS-based application failed to execute properly. It was often known to occur in connection with attempting certain operations while networking drivers were resident in jury. (Commonly, but not exclusively, it was seen while the Novell NetWare client for DOS, NETX, was loaded.)

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 also display a Black Screen of Death when the operating system cannot boot. This is usually due to a missing file. This also happens when the user enables file compression on all files and the operating system compresses. Often the user must reinstall Windows, if the missing file is critical to the boot process. However, more often than not the boot screen will inform the user of the missing file. If the operating system is compressed, it will not be able to boot, even into safe mode.
In late 2009 several new reports of the Black Screen of Death in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 emerged. At first several claims pointed at a Windows Update. It was later recanted by Prevx as an erroneous report. Microsoft reported that no security update was causing the issue, and it may be tied to malicious software, or malware. In other cases, the black screen of death was replaced with the Blue Screen of Death. When you get the black screen of death, it may be possible that the computer has overheated.
Early builds of Windows 8 feature a black screen of death, in place of the traditional blue screen, that appears to indicate a Stop error. The Windows 8 black screen of death is simplified compared to the previous blue screen, omitting instructions that the user is recommended to take.

A black screen can be encountered on the Nintendo GameCube if the game disc is dirty or damaged or if there is an internal problem with the system. The message that displays on-screen is "An error has occurred. Turn the power off and check the Nintendo GameCube instruction booklet for further instructions."
Upon its international release on March 2011, users of the Nintendo 3DS have reported getting a black screen of death error when playing certain games. In response, Nintendo has advised consumers to download the latest firmware update to alleviate the problem.
A black screen of death can be found on a Playstation if a disc is damaged and/or dirty. The BlSOD can also be triggered if a pirated Playstation 2 game is inserted.

It's possible you need to update your video card...or even get a new one. But either way, it's obviously a Video/card type of problem.
most of that is not even relevent except for the last few words.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:26:02 PM by Supertoaster »

Offline Ἆxule

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
None the less, This is a new video card, and I'm almost certain it's up to date.

Offline hotdog

• woof woof buns
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »
drivers first, mem test next, then the sad face may be a psu or gpu