Author Topic: Oh, lord.  (Read 243 times)

Offline Seb

Re: Oh, lord.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »

Yes, but my gripe is that its unnecessary. What about MW3 or MW2 was too lighthearted that they needed to include the killing of innocents? Yes, we know that happens. We don't need to see.

Then there will be an option to skip it. Just like in MW2.
Miami's Finest

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
Then there will be an option to skip it. Just like in MW2.

And who actually presses 'skip' when the game tells you that this content is too hardcore for you and that we won't penalty you if you pussy out

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »

Yes, but my gripe is that its unnecessary. What about MW3 or MW2 was too lighthearted that they needed to include the killing of innocents? Yes, we know that happens. We don't need to see.

I could care less about the killing of innocents in MW2, and in GTA:IV I will lol at some of the glitches dead pedestrians will get themselves into.

They're not real. It's just a collaboration of pixels on the screen. You actually don't kill anyone in real life. The AI don't have a life of their own, they don't come home to a family with kids or anything, unless it's the Sims. Half the time they're just programmed to walk around/seek cover/and just follow a motion path.

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
I could care less about the killing of innocents in MW2, and in GTA:IV I will lol at some of the glitches dead pedestrians will get themselves into.

They're not real. It's just a collaboration of pixels on the screen. You actually don't kill anyone in real life. The AI don't have a life of their own, they don't come home to a family with kids or anything, unless it's the Sims. Half the time they're just programmed to walk around/seek cover/and just follow a motion path.

Right, but the intention is to make you feel bad. "How DARE those terrorists blow up that little girl and her family while they are on vacation?! I'M GOING TO KILL THEM ALL!!!" It's unnecessary propaganda. We aren't exactly going to betray our morality halfway through the game and start fighting for the Russians. Just saying.

Offline Shawn

View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
    • The Vault
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
We aren't exactly going to betray our morality halfway through the game and start fighting for the Russians. Just saying.

If the option was there some people would.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
:/ I'm kind of in the middle of this issue. Sure it's like HOLY SHIT AN INNOCENT CIVILIAN JUST GOT BLOWN UP but also it's like meh, this happens everywhere.

Offline Mr. Franklin

• Old Forum MemberWindows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerDonatorCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• I'm addicted to sweet tea
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
It's a game, and game are evolving into movies, pretty much.
Quotes from friends:

.:~RND`=- coolzeldad -=: mah mouse is sqeakeh
.:~RND`=- Mr.Franklin -=: tweeeeek it

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfranklin1972
Prox: Thread status: memed.

Offline Deacon

• DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
Thanks for actually, you know, talking with me about this Rocket. Lets clarify some things.

Never tell your password to anyone.
Rocket50: before i counterargue
Rocket50: are you arguing that dramatic scenes in a games or bad
Rocket50: or
Rocket50: just the shit ones in carl of duty
Rocket50: because im confoosed on your position .-.
Deacon: the ones in call of duty
Rocket50: and i suspect everyone is thinking that too
Deacon: specifically the one where you mow down a bunch of russian civillians
Rocket50: that youre against all drama
Rocket50: in shooters
Rocket50: Call of duty's civilian killing scenes is for media attention :l
Rocket50: Its just realllllllllly stupid
Deacon: well thats the thing. there can be drama. There can be soldiers dying alongside you. Guys that die before you can save them. thats enough drama. I don't need to pretend I'm a father recording the death of my 5 year old daughter in London.
Deacon: I agree
Deacon: but people try to defend it
Rocket50: im not defending the CoD massacres
Deacon: which is why i'm confused
Rocket50: uhh
Deacon: why people were arguing with me
Rocket50: better restate that position
Rocket50: of yours
Rocket50: :l
Rocket50: cake face thinks youre against drama as well
Deacon: i thought it was self-explanatory, given the OP. But I'll just post this chat

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
I'm just going to say that
It is possible to have emotional drama
without having to show some random family getting blown up by a bomb.

Heavy Rain Gameplay - Cut FInger Off
(For those of you that haven't played Heavy Rain, Ethan Mars, the guy here, has to cut off the top part of his end finger to get a clue that will help lead him to his son. You can chose NOT to do it, but at the same time, you won't get a clue to the whereabouts of your son, and could end up in you not being able to save him.)
This is just an example of something that really did impact me, and how something so minuscule in concept, can leave such a big impact. The equivalent to this game would be showing the Origami Killer drowning his victims, by forcing their heads under the water. We don't need to actually see the kids being killed, just the knowledge of it is enough.

As Deacon said, "well thats the thing. there can be drama. There can be soldiers dying alongside you. Guys that die before you can save them. thats enough drama. I don't need to pretend I'm a father recording the death of my 5 year old daughter in London."

Come now, it's obvious IW is just doing it for media attention. There was ABSOLUTELY no reason for it to be in the game.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:27:14 PM by Snivy M.D. »

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Deacon

• DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
Come now, it's obvious IW is just doing it for media attention. There was ABSOLUTELY no reason for it to be in the game.

This was my point all along. Sorry for confusion.

Also this was done really well....although whoever made the video probably should have given the viewer a bit of background first cause i'm lost.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
This was my point all along. Sorry for confusion.

Also this was done really well....although whoever made the video probably should have given the viewer a bit of background first cause i'm lost.

Edited the post.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
I'm just going to say that
It is possible to have emotional drama
without having to show some random family getting blown up by a bomb.

(For those of you that haven't played Heavy Rain, Ethan Mars, the guy here, has to cut off the top part of his end finger to get a clue that will help lead him to his son. You can chose NOT to do it, but at the same time, you won't get a clue to the whereabouts of your son, and could end up in you not being able to save him.)
This is just an example of something that really did impact me, and how something so minuscule in concept, can leave such a big impact. The equivalent to this game would be showing the Origami Killer drowning his victims, by forcing their heads under the water. We don't need to actually see the kids being killed, just the knowledge of it is enough.

As Deacon said, "well thats the thing. there can be drama. There can be soldiers dying alongside you. Guys that die before you can save them. thats enough drama. I don't need to pretend I'm a father recording the death of my 5 year old daughter in London."

I think im going to be sick...

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
Sweet mother of mercy.  ???

I think im going to be sick...

Also this was done really well....

In other words, fuck IW.

They try to be dramatic and edgy by showing the player something that SHOULD be traumatic, like a young girl getting blown up by a chemical bomb.

Yet something so simple as cutting off the tip of your pinky finger is executed so well, that even people who haven't played the game can feel what Ethan has to go through to save his son.

Seriously, people are just idiots when they try to defend MW3 by going "HURR THIS IS WHAT AKTUALLY HAPPENZ PEOPLE NEED TO SEE DIS."

I'm trying to think of other games that pulled these sort of thing well too, but none of them deal with realistic scenarios.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:30:39 PM by Snivy M.D. »