Author Topic: Reduce all weapon damage by 50% on stronghold.  (Read 734 times)

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
Re: Reduce all weapon damage by 50% on stronghold.
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »
Just want to say to everyone saying the AK is way OP

The ak is a 2 shot kill and the MP5(default gun) is a 3 shot kill seems pretty balanced to me.

and considering you have to buy the AK -1 to shot to kill seems fair.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »
/me, sitting in the corner, raises his hand.

NO. SIT THE FUCK BACK DOWN.

/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline YoBI

• Respect: 0
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
You should all read this to further understand the relationship between balance and skill ceilings.

http://zandagamedesign.blogspot.com/2011/03/metaphor-for-skill-vs-imbalance.html

I don't think that an inexperienced player base should be advocating balance changes so soon.
Even if you think the Deagle and AK-47 are the guns that requires the least amount of skill, that doesn't necessarily mean they need to be nerfed.
Discuss!

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
You should all read this to further understand the relationship between balance and skill ceilings.

http://zandagamedesign.blogspot.com/2011/03/metaphor-for-skill-vs-imbalance.html

I don't think that an inexperienced player base should be advocating balance changes so soon.
Even if you think the Deagle and AK-47 are the guns that requires the least amount of skill, that doesn't necessarily mean they need to be nerfed.
Discuss!

Raise the price of AK to 600 (in relation to the M4) and make the recoil 0.8 instead of 0.4, and it should be fine.

As for Deagle, it's just a magnum. The only difference is that the Deagle does about 200 damage in one shot.
Drop it to 90 (30 in code), give it a cone of 0.01.

Also, the more expensive SG550 is actually worse in fire rate and damage to the 600$ cheaper G3.
Give the SG less recoil and a faster fire rate.

Scout is too underpowered. 45-75 damage variable is worse than most of the assault rifles. 81-102 (27-34 in code) seems fair. Headshots are always a kill, and there's a 9.5% chance of a one-shot kill, regardless of location.

Auto Shotty should fire six pellets at 28 damage each, making it more "accurate" in a way, and have a recoil of 6 instead of the m3's 5, giving it more of a kick, while still dealing equal amount of total damage assuming all the pellets hit.

Mp5 cone should be increased to 0.012, making it less accurate than the assault rifles.

Galil recoil should be reduced to 0.5 (from the current 0.6). (compared to the AK's 0.4).

Make UMP cost 900$, while the P90 is 1200$.

Make the AUG and the SG550 a bit more dynamic. Reduce AUG clip size to 20, while reducing recoil to 0.8, and leave SG550 as it is.

Make AWP do a variable damage of 96 to 120, giving it a 83% chance of one-shotting.

Secondaries are fine, but I think the glocks recoil should be equivalent to the USP, it's currently almost twice it's recoil atm.

Now when you read this YoBI, keep in mind I play as one of those annoying people who stay in one building and AWP the shit out of everyone else. I have no personal bias towards these weapons except for the sniper rifles and the TMP. If you still want to criticize me of just being bad at the game, and wanting to make them weaker/powerful, then fine. It just shows how much of an immature twat you are, and that you can't take anyone going against what you say.

These are just crucial errors that didn't appear to have been thoroughly investigated during development.

I'm not trying to go against your opinion, but you need to keep in mind that you were just a small testing group. Now that the gamemode is public, and ESPECIALLY becuase it just WENT public, theres bound to be a lot of balancing issues that weren't seen as a problem.

Look at any other major developer who releases a multiplayer game. Using blizzard for this example, when they first released the Starcraft 2, the first few updates were almost solely tweaking classes, units, all of that for multiplayer play. Getting the opinion of just a couple of people is fine, but if you're releasing something to such a broad audience, you can't just go to them and go "NO ITS FINE THE WAY IT IS", especially when anyone has the ability to modify it.

Yes, I read the readme. Yes, I know that roaringcow/devs worked on balancing the weapons for a long time. That doesn't instantly make it perfect though.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:50:52 PM by Snivy M.D. »

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
Look at any other major developer who releases a multiplayer game. Using blizzard for this example, when they first released the Starcraft 2, the first few updates were almost solely tweaking classes, units, all of that for multiplayer play. Getting the opinion of just a couple of people is fine, but if you're releasing something to such a broad audience, you can't just go to them and go "NO ITS FINE THE WAY IT IS", especially when anyone has the ability to modify it.
Well,
Blizzard quickly fixes things because there's people making a living off playing StarCraft II professionally, and for them it's really important to see everything balanced.
And yes, blizzard pretty much exclusively balances their games for the highest level of players.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
So as it turns out both Sabb and Jman enjoy calling me a faggot among other things...
Please just let the flaming end with that.

As for the Deagle, while strafing with an automatic weapon I find 9 times out of 10 I can take them out.
It's a powerful weapon, but it has its downsides as I've mentioned before, low mag size and a firing animation that blocks your view.
The TMP is a good equivalent to the Deagle due to its extremely high firing rate, and in many situations I use the TMP over Deagle.
I tl;dr's beyond this point cause this is just stupid.
Again, I said I have never called you a "pussy", "faggot", etc directly, because I know there's no point to it. Yes, I've discussed in team chat of how annoying you are. Congratulations on your find, which I never denied. The fact that you went to get the logs from Roaring really shows how juvenile and ignorant you are, going through logs reading all the shit we've said just so that you could prove a point on a pretty useless argument.
Anyways, I'm sorry for derailing the thread and blah blah but this is the best place if any to discuss this really. Also, my opinions on the weapons still change. Mainly though, if anything is to be changed, deagle REALLY needs to. Idgaf about realism, it's a game, it's meant for fun, but the weapon REALLY takes away from the game. It is quite cheap having people just running around killing everyone before you even have a chance to look around. It's too powerful, too accurate, too fast of a firing rate, etc. I really think it needs to be changed. As for auto and awp, I still find them quite unfair, but a lot of people use it and don't seem to want to give it up, so I don't see that going anywhere. Whereas, the deagle is quite undeniably cheap. (I know YoBi, a lot of thought was put into the weapons, it was very well tested blah blah you all did a great job you're amazing etc, but that doesn't really make any sort of a difference. Btw, I know it seems like I'm saying that the game mode is horribly thought out or w.e, but I think quite the opposite. I love it. Just think thee could be a few tweaks here and there based off my opinion.)

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline yoshi

• as I said, pretty nice.
  • Old Forum MemberWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +377
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »
Ignore my rage
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:41:16 PM by SHYoshi »

Offline YoBI

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
I tl;dr's beyond this point cause this is just stupid.
Again, I said I have never called you a "pussy", "faggot", etc directly, because I know there's no point to it. Yes, I've discussed in team chat of how annoying you are. Congratulations on your find, which I never denied. The fact that you went to get the logs from Roaring really shows how juvenile and ignorant you are, going through logs reading all the shit we've said just so that you could prove a point on a pretty useless argument.)

L 10/09/2011 - 15:14:58: "Sabb<106><STEAM_0:0:32011794><Team>" say "such a faggot"
L 10/09/2011 - 15:15:03: "YoBI<281><STEAM_0:0:20250964><Team>" say "cry more"
L 10/09/2011 - 15:15:04: "YoBI<281><STEAM_0:0:20250964><Team>" say "its cute"

That was directly calling me a faggot outside of team chat, but I guess calling you out makes me juvenile.
I'll be happy to drop this though, if you'll stop taking so many pathetic little shots at me in your posts.
Just let it go.

This was most certainly not the best place to bring up all of this because it's entirely irrelevant.
You could've made a new thread or better yet messaged me personally, which I suggest you do if you still feel the need to continue

Now when you read this YoBI, keep in mind I play as one of those annoying people who stay in one building and AWP the shit out of everyone else. I have no personal bias towards these weapons except for the sniper rifles and the TMP. If you still want to criticize me of just being bad at the game, and wanting to make them weaker/powerful, then fine. It just shows how much of an immature twat you are, and that you can't take anyone going against what you say.

Why do you think I'm still criticizing you for being bad?
But you didn't know how many shots the MP-5 takes to kill someone, the base damage values in the weapons folder aren't the end result. The MP-5 is a 3 shot kill anywhere but the head.
Quit being so dramatic.

And not wanting AK-47s to be able to take people out across the map is biased towards AWPs for what it's worth, but I don't think bias is playing a huge role here.

These are just crucial errors that didn't appear to have been thoroughly investigated during development.

I'm not trying to go against your opinion, but you need to keep in mind that you were just a small testing group. Now that the gamemode is public, and ESPECIALLY becuase it just WENT public, theres bound to be a lot of balancing issues that weren't seen as a problem.

The development of Stronghold coincided very closely with the community, actually. RoaringCow would make make and test changes on his personal server and then implement them to the public one.

The server was very popular and had a wide range of players during the development.
It isn't like suddenly after release issues are going to pop up because more people are playing. Your server is the exact same environment that was being looked at for balance by RoaringCow for weeks.

Actually, Starcraft 2 patches are subject to extensive internal testing, followed by public betas and process of revision before finally being implemented. This is why the patch cycle seems to take so long.
They also cater to the high level players almost exclusively when making balance changes to the game.
And their system works, Starcraft 2 is a pinnacle of competitive RTS balance. They've managed to achieve a level of balance that took an entire expansion and months of patches to achieve in the original game, although it's not quite up to Brood War yet.

I didn't go, "NO ITS FINE THE WAY IT IS." That is my position, but I've been trying to explain my reasoning and address the concerns of other players.
Of course anyone can modify the guns, but that's no reason to object to arguing against their reasons for doing so.

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
+1
Ok, I'm done with this shit.

Its our server, the gamemode was made publicly available, we'll do what we want.

Everyone needs to stop arguing about pointless shit, and this thread needs to be locked.

Offline YoBI

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Ok, I'm done with this shit.

Its our server, the gamemode was made publicly available, we'll do what we want.

Everyone needs to stop arguing about pointless shit, and this thread needs to be locked.

Just when the conversation is shifting back towards balance you want to lock the thread?
No on really agrees on what needs to be done to the weapons, should they just guess?

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
How about this, IMO,

• This thread should be locked
  • According to snivy's damage counts, I think it's fine as is and needs no change
  • This thread caused more problems than solving

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
Raise the price of AK to 600 (in relation to the M4) and make the recoil 0.8 instead of 0.4, and it should be fine.

As for Deagle, it's just a magnum. The only difference is that the Deagle does about 200 damage in one shot.
Drop it to 90 (30 in code), give it a cone of 0.01.

Also, the more expensive SG550 is actually worse in fire rate and damage to the 600$ cheaper G3.
Give the SG less recoil and a faster fire rate.

Scout is too underpowered. 45-75 damage variable is worse than most of the assault rifles. 81-102 (27-34 in code) seems fair. Headshots are always a kill, and there's a 9.5% chance of a one-shot kill, regardless of location.

Auto Shotty should fire six pellets at 28 damage each, making it more "accurate" in a way, and have a recoil of 6 instead of the m3's 5, giving it more of a kick, while still dealing equal amount of total damage assuming all the pellets hit.

Mp5 cone should be increased to 0.012, making it less accurate than the assault rifles.

Galil recoil should be reduced to 0.5 (from the current 0.6). (compared to the AK's 0.4).

Make UMP cost 900$, while the P90 is 1200$.

Make the AUG and the SG550 a bit more dynamic. Reduce AUG clip size to 20, while reducing recoil to 0.8, and leave SG550 as it is.

Make AWP do a variable damage of 96 to 120, giving it a 83% chance of one-shotting.

Secondaries are fine, but I think the glocks recoil should be equivalent to the USP, it's currently almost twice it's recoil atm.

I still think these changes should be made.

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Just when the conversation is shifting back towards balance you want to lock the thread?
No on really agrees on what needs to be done to the weapons, should they just guess?

Honestly, none of us even have the power to change this. Suggestions can't even be considered until coolz gets some spare time. He hasn't even played the damn gamemode yet.

So until then, these threads are just shitstorms. I'm tired of shit flying everywhere.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
So until then, these threads are just shitstorms. I'm tired of shit flying everywhere.

If people didn't make unrelevant posts, it wouldn't be like that.

Offline YoBI

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
Honestly, none of us even have the power to change this. Suggestions can't even be considered until coolz gets some spare time. He hasn't even played the damn gamemode yet.

Well then now is a perfect time to get a consensus on what does or doesn't need to be changed, no?
And hopefully the shitstorm is over, or at least dying down.