Author Topic: Questions about Mapping with hammer.  (Read 109 times)

Offline SheepsAholy

• Respect: +10
Questions about Mapping with hammer.
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »

Ok firstly, I'd like to say I have played with hammer editor slightly creating water slopes working doors and working lights (with buttons for on|off). But I do have questions that I'd like to ask that may or may not be of help to other RnD mappers and especially helpful to myself.

-What exactly is considered a small, medium, large, extra large size map.
if you see 2560 x 2560 x 120 (x,y,z) do you consider that a medium or large, what kind of size measurements would you consider those categories so planning can be done.
Answer: (Mephis)
1 unit - cabel
8 units - a simple wall
16 units - Truss, concrete wall
24 units - Massive concrete wall

-How exactly to make slow opening, fast opening doors.
I know how to make a normal door but how would I make like a gate to a fort or a metal slow closing door (I figure its using a func_ something to tell a part of the map to move in a direction at a certain speed)
Answer: In the properties menu, go to the option that says speed. Experiment with that untill you get the desired speed. (Hotgreensoldier)

-Elevators, traitor testers for ttt gamemodes, ttt traps (floating red hands like on minecraft to break the glass).
enough said
Answer:
TTT Mapping: http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide
(Mehis)
Elevator: (Mehis)
I may add more questions to this original post if I think of or run into any problems and really appreciate any information, pictures, videos, links that you provide.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:12:45 AM by SheepsAholy »

Offline Hotgreensoldier

• I think.. I think I won't see you again after all
  • But maybe..Maybe I'm fighting for different reason
  • Respect: +235
Re: Questions about Mapping with hammer.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »

In the properties menu, go to the option that says speed. Experiment with that untill you get the desired speed.
<08:17:05> "RND Faggot": <17:16:21> "Nautilus": where
<17:16:24> "Nautilus": where u goin
<17:16:26> "[Valor]iPouncă‚‹": niggatown

Moo: general tishipants

Offline Mehis

• lolbai
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
+1
Well, you can really guess by yourself is the map too big. Just, don't go over the grid.
It doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is how many entitys it uses and is it optimized.

TTT guide

http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide

Elevator

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:52:16 PM by Peetah »

Offline SheepsAholy

• Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »

And don't make these kind of stupid threads where you ask something simple. There is 100% chance of finding a tutorial to all of your problems you listed so far.

dude, really? I'm sure there is but there is no need to be so offensive and immature you could of easily said, "If you want a quick answer you can use google to help you out, there's all kinds of information. on what you listed."

anyways thanks hotgreen I'll try it out and thanks for the link for the ttt stuff and the video mehis.

edit- about the mapsize mehis I just wanted to get a basic knowledge of like what is small medium large and x-large so I could map it on a grid before doing the process of mapping.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:56:31 PM by SheepsAholy »

Offline yoshi

• as I said, pretty nice.
  • Old Forum MemberWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +377
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »
Well, you can really guess by yourself is the map too big. Just, don't go over the grid.
It doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is how many entitys it uses and is it optimized.

TTT guide

http://ttt.badking.net/mapping-guide

Elevator

And don't make these kind of stupid threads where you ask something simple. There is 100% chance of finding a tutorial to all of your problems you listed so far.

GOOGLE

Yo, that was just dick.

Offline Tomcat

• Your Argument is Inert
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Wat Do?
  • Respect: +503
    • Tomcat's blog
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline Mehis

• lolbai
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
dude, really? I'm sure there is but there is no need to be so offensive and immature you could of easily said, "If you want a quick answer you can use google to help you out, there's all kinds of information. on what you listed."

Sorry if i said it in aggressive way, but i just said that you don't have to make seperate threads where you ask something small.

edit- about the mapsize mehis I just wanted to get a basic knowledge of like what is small medium large and x-large so I could map it on a grid before doing the process of mapping.

1 unit - cabel
8 units - a simple wall
16 units - Truss, concrete wall
24 units - Massive concrete wall

Remember to keep things clear. Work with the grid.