Author Topic: [ZS] Non-fatal Shots and Whom Gets the Kill  (Read 110 times)

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
[ZS] Non-fatal Shots and Whom Gets the Kill
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
I can't help but notice the following trend I, and others experience:

- I am playing either as a human or a zombie, and get hit.
- I successfully kill, or evade my opponent
- I avoid being shot, or beaten to death for a good few minutes
- I either suicide as a Zombie to change my class, suicide as a human for whatever reason [by using "kill" in console], or fall victim as human to #worldspawn, #func_door, or some other entity, NOT killed by a player [nor by falling off a cliff]
- The person who I evaded before, or killed, gets credit for killing me.

Why is that so?  I mean, I can understand if I was killed not too long [ 10 seconds to even a minute] after being shot from falling off a ledge trying to evade said person, or whatnot - said person causing my death through means other than a weapon - but for said person to get credit for killing me a good couple of minutes after last hitting me, assuming this analysis of what occurs is accurate of course, doesn't make sense since that long after the encounter you could be in another part of the map, facing different players [or none at all], where the previous actions wouldn't have any direct effect on you at that point in time.

Anybody else experience this, know what I'm talking about?  If it wasn't for the fact that XP likes BSODing like crazy, I'd go in with FRAPS and record this phenomenon... maybe that's what I'll do now.

If my analysis is correct, I would say cut the time down - if possible - that way something like a player getting credit for causing another player to fall to his/her death, or something like that, is possible - but after a predetermined time, let the player's stupidity, map flaws, game physics, or other players take the credit for killing said player when that is what happened. >_<
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:55:27 PM by Travelsonic »
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
Re: [ZS] Non-fatal Shots and Whom Gets the Kill
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
+1
I think its because some zombies like fast zombies can push you off ledges, and a certain lua command gives the kill to the zombie, even tho its the gravity that killed you.

Thank you Marie for the sprite.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »
Modified first post to make it .. erm .. more constructive if that is correct terminology [as is my intent].
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
+1
I think its because some zombies like fast zombies can push you off ledges, and a certain lua command gives the kill to the zombie, even tho its the gravity that killed you.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »

Not *exactly* what I meant, since that specific circumstance is not what I was addressing.

Offline memo3300

• Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• the measure of a man is what he does with power
  • Respect: +251
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
I can't help but notice the following trend I, and others experience:

- I am playing either as a human or a zombie, and get hit.
- I successfully kill, or evade my opponent
- I avoid being shot, or beaten to death for a good few minutes
- I either suicide as a Zombie to change my class, or fall victim as human to #worldspawn, #func_door, or some other entity, NOT killed by a player [nor by falling off a cliff]
- The person who I evaded before, or killed, gets credit for killing me.

Why is that so?  I mean, I can understand if I was killed not too long [ 10 seconds to even a minute] after being shot from falling off a ledge trying to evade said person, or whatnot - said person causing my death through means other than a weapon - but for said person to get credit for killing me a good couple of minutes after last hitting me, assuming this analysis of what occurs is accurate of course, doesn't make sense since that long after the encounter you could be in another part of the map, facing different players [or none at all], where the previous actions wouldn't have any direct effect on you at that point in time.

Anybody else experience this, know what I'm talking about?  If it wasn't for the fact that XP likes BSODing like crazy, I'd go in with FRAPS and record this phenomenon... maybe that's what I'll do now.

If my analysis is correct, I would say cut the time down - if possible - that way something like a player getting credit for causing another player to fall to his/her death, or something like that, is possible - but after a predetermined time, let the player's stupidity, map flaws, game physics, or other players take the credit for killing said player when that is what happened. >_<

If you are killed by #func_door you wont give a kill to someone.

I have tried it just yesterday... zombies got me down to 5hp and something that was moving killed me, no one got my kill.

also, i like it just like it is right now.

S[hes] Br[ok]en

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
If you are killed by #func_door you wont give a kill to someone.

I have tried it just yesterday... zombies got me down to 5hp and something that was moving killed me, no one got my kill.

Weird, the exact opposite has been happening to me, and I have observed it occur to others as well.  I will get on ZS with FRAPS running later tonight - after I get some class work done for my discrete math class - so if I see it, I CAN document it.

MAYBE some of it has to do with the map being played on?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:59:08 PM by Travelsonic »

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
And this bothers you why?

I like it the way it is...  Otherwise i just know human will troll IE, before they die instead of letting the zombies get a kill they will jump off a roof or something...

Offline Tomcat

• Your Argument is Inert
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Wat Do?
  • Respect: +503
    • Tomcat's blog
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »
This is why.

When it finds who killed the person the function jet made is that the entity who is the last one to touch the other entity gets stored and get's the kill

There is a simple way to fix this.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
And this bothers you why?

Because somebody who shot at me once and didn't kill me, and did not cause me to die through means of falling to my death or drowning [for example], should not get credit for killing me.  Only the person, or entity who did it should get credit.

When it finds who killed the person the function jet made is that the entity who is the last one to touch the other entity gets stored and get's the kill

Let me see if I have it right:

- Person A attacks person B
- That record - that person A last touched person B - is stored
- Person B later, without hitting other entities, or player dies by cause of suicide ["kill" in console] or another entity
- Instead of updating the previously stored information to reflect who or what killed you, that information is pulled out and processes as is

It seems like a very simple logic error to fix.  Assuming my analysis of how it works is correct, insert a step in the programming that updates the information about whom/what killed the now-dead [including console "kill" commands?], before processing it, instead of directly leaping into processing it.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:08:24 PM by Travelsonic »

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
Don't see the problem in this honestly ...

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »
[including console "kill" commands?], before processing it, instead of directly leaping into processing it.

Humans will just troll

"O noes bout to die "hits kill key" SUCKER zombies"

Offline Tomcat

• Your Argument is Inert
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Wat Do?
  • Respect: +503
    • Tomcat's blog
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
well

not excatly

but pretty close

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
well

not excatly

but pretty close

Drat.   :-*

What did I miss?  I mean, it seemed oddly worded the way you explained it, hence my "let me see if I got this right" thing.