Author Topic: What Would be a the Best Investment for Building a New Computer?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
Well, I'm thinking of building a new computer, because I have a shitty Acer.
Basically, I want to build it from scratch, but I have no experience, and have no idea what to buy, and I thought I'd ask the forums before researching around a bit.
So what do you guys think the best investment to starting to build a new computer would be? (I'm looking for good parts for a really good computer, depending on the price)

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
Re: What Would be a the Best Investment for Building a New Computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
(Lol 1337 post count)

Depends which direction you'd want to go.

AMD gives you more bang for your buck, but is a bit less efficient than Intel.

IMO (And I'm sure most would agree) AMD would be the way to go, but it's up to you.

It also depends on what you want to spend, and what kind of rig it will be used for.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +231
    • Build a boat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
AMD + ATI Rig.

Not AMD + Geforce or Intel + ATI or Intel + Intel or Intel + Geforce or AMD + Geforce/Intel, k?

Jus, AMD + ATI. You will <3 urself. You get more bang for the buck, like death said.

Sabb: oh when'd you get there!?
Sabb: That was embarrassing.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
What's the approximate price range for these?

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Build a boat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
What's the approximate price range for these?
Well it depends. I built mine for around 350-400 dollars. I get a 80+ fps on mw2 and 60+ on black cops all on ultra and maxed out. On Garrys mod it depends on the map.

Also, my specs and such are located on my steam community page. If you want to build a rig like mine, just check it out.

Offline Devie

• I got eight figures
  • Like I'm skatin in the winter
  • Respect: +1040
    • Twatter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
+1
OH! I too will build a brand new computer! :D

I'm making this shit PINK bitchesssss.

I figured - my college gives me extra money I didn't use from my scholarship and financial aid around 800 the next couple of months plus a new job - I'll be making this in ... well, I give it about a year LOL Cuz I'm going for the top of the line shit and I get miiiiiiiiiiiiinimum wageeeeee plus I pay for other shit like gas and food daily :/

You should go top of the line as well sabbath. As in... top of the line epic rig.

But, I'm starting with the simplest shit that no one gives a crap about like a keyboard and mouse, and two 21 inch monitorz - plus speakers with subwoofer - the one I have now is quite small and I need extra big subwoofer for that sexy heavy bassline.

Then after that, I'll probably wait a bit and gather money >_> Then purchase a powerful motherboard and work from there - I was thinking about MSI motherboards since MSI never failed me....

That's all I got so far LOL.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:01:25 PM by Devie ♥ »

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »

I figured - my college gives me extra money I didn't use from my scholarship and financial aid around 800 the next couple of months plus a new job - I'll be making this in ... well, I give it about a year LOL Cuz I'm going for the top of the line shit and I get miiiiiiiiiiiiinimum wageeeeee plus I pay for other shit like gas and food daily :/

You should go top of the line as well sabbath. As in... top of the line epic rig.

But, I'm starting with the simplest shit that no one gives a crap about like a keyboard and mouse, and two 21 inch monitorz - plus speakers with subwoofer - the one I have now is quite small and I need extra big subwoofer for that sexy heavy bassline.

Then after that, I'll probably wait a bit and gather money >_> Then purchase a powerful motherboard and work from there - I was thinking about MSI motherboards since MSI never failed me....

Haha, I was considering something similar. All the monitor, speakers, keyboard, etc shiz doesn't matter to me though lol. I like all the basic shiz when it comes to keyboard and mouse, and I'm completely happy with the speakers and monitor I already have.
My birthdays coming up soon though, and I'm just asking for money, so I nid know what part would be best to invest in first.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »

Top of the line is overdoing it IMO.
You're spending thousands of dollars for Something that will be a fraction of that in literally a couple months.

I feel its easier to buy something thats cheap, can run any game on max settings, and switch it out every year or so, as opposed to spending 10x more on a rig that will last you 3-5 years.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Moo

• Respect: +413
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
my graphics card is 15 dollars, mobo 40, hd is stolen, cdrom is stolen, stole mouse and keyboard from school, monitor is 17inch, 40 dollars, ram is 40 bucks, cpu is 50 bucks

Offline Devie

• I got eight figures
  • Like I'm skatin in the winter
  • Respect: +1040
    • Twatter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Top of the line is overdoing it IMO.
You're spending thousands of dollars for Something that will be a fraction of that in literally a couple months.

thousands? Who said thousands? Doesn't have to be thousands for it to be top of the line >_>
Gotta know where to look, where to buy and gotta know how to find deals.

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
+1
Honestly, AMD's top of the line chip is currently getting destroyed by the new SandyBridge i5-2500K

Even if you were to overclock the Phenom X6 to 4.2 GHz It still doesn't even come close to the i5 in its stock form sadly.

The i5-2500K Also can reliably overclock to ~5 GHz putting it past the stock i7 SandyBridge range.

So if you want some good bang for your buck

That computer would play any game you could possibly want of it.

And if you have a bit more cash than $895 upgrade to a 470, 560, or at the high end 570.

(I'd shell out the extra $75 :link: for the 560 if I were you. It would allow you to play new games at max graphics for a few years yet.)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/25/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1gb-review/1
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »
Honestly, AMD's top of the line chip is currently getting destroyed by the new SandyBridge i5-2500K

Even if you were to overclock the Phenom X6 to 4.2 GHz It still doesn't even come close to the i5 in its stock form sadly.

The i5-2500K Also can reliably overclock to ~5 GHz putting it past the stock i7 SandyBridge range.

So if you want some good bang for your buck

That computer would play any game you could possibly want of it.

And if you have a bit more cash than $895 upgrade to a 470, 560, or at the high end 570.

(I'd shell out the extra $75 :link: for the 560 if I were you. It would allow you to play new games at max graphics for a few years yet.)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/25/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1gb-review/1
Damn, thanks for the help.

Also, my current computer is over 1k so you know my price range lol.

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
a
Dayum, that actually makes me tempted to finally get a good tower.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »
+1
Intel I3 530, some Asrock mobo, GeForce GTS450 1GB, 2GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz, some DVD burner, and no HDD nor monitor.

Around 700 dollars. Feels batman to be in Argentina.

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Build a boat
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
+1
But wait. Isn't the sandy bridge the processor that lets intel access your shit? Like they can destroy the computer with one touch of a button. I won't buy one of those just for that. That's some scary shit.