Author Topic: Clarification of rules regarding killing out of suspicion  (Read 291 times)

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
Re: Clarification of rules regarding killing out of suspicion
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »
The problem is that everyone's "good reasons" to kill a suspected traitor is different. Someone who plays more textbook TTT may only kill someone if they see them shooting someone else without reason or if multiple people have called them a T and then died.

Some people, like me, play a style of TTT that is highly based on intuition. Sometimes I just know that someone's a traitor. That doesn't mean I KOS them immediately, but it means that I'm more willing to shoot them if they do traitorious things. It's a very high-risk/high-reward style of playing TTT and I enjoy playing like that, since it still puts me on the edge after 5 years of playing TTT.

As you may assume, I don't really have a problem with how ursus plays. It's a very on the edge playstyle, opposed to playing the good boy innocent. If ursus fucks up and kills an inno, their karma will go down and say "you should probably think more before you shoot someone on suspicion, ya dingus!". If ursus kills you on suspicion and it turns out you're a traitor, tough shit man. Even if YOU think you did nothing wrong, ursus's anecdotal evidence may prove that you have a 90% chance of being a traitor and kill you before you kill anyone else.

It may be bullshit that you get shot by someone for what you think is not enough evidence, but it adds more variety to TTT. If ursus's and my playstyle was deemed banable, it would remove a lot of fun out of TTT and make it the utimate Good Cop game.

Even I dial down my instincts too, though. Sometimes I see how someone just looks around 5 seconds after the round starts and I'm almost 100% sure it's them because after 5 solid years I can get in their head, but I'm not trying to punish people for not having a total poker face when they play. Since the rules don't let you kill that soon, I just follow them and wait. If I kill someone it's going to generally be because I have a sound enough reason to believe they've actually done something that I'm allowed to kill them for, and that's fairly easy to achieve if you're even vaguely smart.

Offline Loke

• Click Click
  • Windows UserCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• Boom
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
For me, TTT has gotten to the point where I wait till someone shoots me then I blow their head off.

People can't aim worth shit so really its just wait till you get shot.
Allah's Snackbar is best food place.

Offline Mr. Franklin

• Old Forum MemberWindows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerDonatorCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• I'm addicted to sweet tea
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »
From my personal experience with TTT over the years, the biggest factor when it came to RDM was killing without any reason or cause. You can see that one is the definition of the other, and you can see in the rules state that one or two RDM's in a round is acceptable. The obviousness when it comes to RDM is mass RDM, in which the person is kicked for that action. Now i agree that killing out of suspicion in the rulebook is too vague, and we need to change it, to a more understanding and defined rule. The rule itself doesn't need to include what counts as suspicion, but it should include an example that we have all seen, to state the issue of the rule.
Quotes from friends:

.:~RND`=- coolzeldad -=: mah mouse is sqeakeh
.:~RND`=- Mr.Franklin -=: tweeeeek it

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfranklin1972
Prox: Thread status: memed.

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »
Sometimes I see how someone just looks around 5 seconds after the round starts and I'm almost 100% sure it's them-

This is what I'm talking about.  It's not nearly enough of a "good reason" to kill someone because they simply *act* suspicious by moving their mouse.  This is why people will say things like "Oh, you look like you're getting ready to shoot everyone!" but then not kill that person.  There just simply isn't enough of a "good reason". 

-If I kill someone it's going to generally be because I have a sound enough reason to believe they've actually done something that I'm allowed to kill them for

It seems to me that the occasion on Peach's Castle I described didn't have a "sound enough reason" for me to be killed.

If ursus kills you on suspicion and it turns out you're a traitor, tough shit man. Even if YOU think you did nothing wrong, ursus's anecdotal evidence may prove that you have a 90% chance of being a traitor and kill you before you kill anyone else.

This is the core of the problem.  Unless I made a traitorous act (avoiding fighting against a KOS, destroying hp station, running with un-ID'd body, etc), *I* didn't do anything wrong, and the only way to know I'm the traitor is by deduction, which obviously can't really happen when 15 people are still alive.  This entire problem is because of extremely subjective opinions on whether or not there is enough proof to kill someone, and this is why the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »
This entire problem is because of extremely subjective opinions on whether or not there is enough proof to kill someone, and this is why the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Think about it this way.

Do these people kill you as frequently when you're actually innocent? Are you being targeted? Or is it only your traitor rounds that you lose from this level of play?

From your posts, it seems like you just hate losing T-rounds from the high skill ceiling and you want to bring it down.

It's kind of like when people complain about smurfs in CSGO, saying that they should be banned for not playing at their level.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »
+1
Remember when you could, as an innocent, alt+E stealth ID an unidentified body so the traitors don't know that you know that person is dead, giving you the edge in process of elimination?
Remember when you could elect to not take the traitor test?
Remember when you could stand in a damn doorway?

Well if we declare anyone's subjective suspicions as a valid license to kill, people like ursus will continue to be detrimental to overall gameplay and just murder you when they want to take a guess.
Suspicion should only serve to guide you towards potential evidence you find by following your hunches, i.e. you follow a player and catch them in the act.
If a staff finds that there was no tangible evidence, it should be a rule they are cleared to take appropriate action.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
Well if we declare anyone's subjective suspicions as a valid license to kill, people like ursus will continue to be detrimental to overall gameplay and just murder you when they want to take a guess.

How often are you innocent when someone just "takes a guess"?

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 06:21:32 PM »
Since we seem to love the CS:GO analogy, think about it this way.  When doing overwatch in CS:GO, you MUST have sufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt.  Sure, this person may have appeared to be following some guy through a wall, but that was once, so it was maybe a fluke.  If there was not sufficient evidence to convict him, you would say "Insufficient Evidence" and pass on. 

Applying this to TTT: Just because someone refuses to test for innocence, or stands in a doorway, doesn't make them a traitor.  Sure, it means you should watch them more closely, but you shouldn't take action because there is INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE to kill him.  I believe you need evidence beyond reasonable doubt when you decide to kill a traitor.

On another note, it seems that the idea of metagaming is present.  When playing with the common group of TTT gamers, I guess you'll eventually be able to catch on to the tiny behavioral differences of a person when they are Traitor.  This should have absolutely no effect on your judgement of the person.  In TTT, it's completely unfair to determine one's innocence based on the fact that you *think* you know how they normally act. 

I believe that because of the fickle nature of this problem, here is my proposal for a solution:  When someone kills a traitor under questionable circumstances, he should have to explain his reasoning, and the members present should decide whether or not it was a valid reason.  If it was a valid enough reason, the subject may continue as is.  However, if there was INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE, the subject gets a warning.  From then on during the session, if the subject breaks any rules or has another questionable kill reviewed as INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE, he gets kicked.  If the subject returns and continues his/her pattern, they get a temporary ban, and so on.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »
When someone kills a traitor under questionable circumstances, he should have to explain his reasoning, and the members present should decide whether or not it was a valid reason. 

It really does seem like you're just upset because you're not a very good traitor. All the complaints have been over losing T rounds, while none of them have been over getting falsely killed as an innocent.

You keep saying "I shouldn't be caught as a traitor because I didn't do anything traitorous", but if that was actually the case you'd be dying as much as an innocent than you would as a traitor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Monorail Cat

• Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
It really does seem like you're just upset because you're not a very good traitor. All the complaints have been over losing T rounds, while none of them have been over getting falsely killed as an innocent.

You keep saying "I shouldn't be caught as a traitor because I didn't do anything traitorous", but if that was actually the case you'd be dying as much as an innocent than you would as a traitor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I see I should have stuck with my former wording.  At first I was going to say "when someone kills another person", but decided that if it was inno-inno murder, we would follow the pattern I laid out anyways.  I will edit it so that the rest of the community doesn't get confused by my poor choice of words.

Also, stop trying to direct this ordeal at me.  I have not once, through this entire damn thread, given any names, to help show that this isn't a personal problem.  It has been happening to other players, and that's why it's a problem.  So stop trying to taunt me.  I'm not making a thread that's describing how I'm "upset because I'm not a very good traitor". 

Also your overwatch analogy is terrible. Don't try comparing a crowd-sourced process for permanently banning people to a murder-mystery gamemode where rounds last less than ten minutes and the only penality for falsely killing someone is losing a round.
So, you claim that my analogy is a poor one.  How?  Isn't that kind of the process we are supposed to go through when we kick people?  Actually, I think it's exactly the process we go through.  We look at some sort of argument/dispute/problem, and we review it, and then make a vote for all of the members to decide if the person should be kicked or not. 

It's kind of like when people complain about smurfs in CSGO, saying that they should be banned for not playing at their level.
Now, I ask you: How is this related?  I'm not complaining about people who think they're better than everyone else at the game completely dominating me, because from what I can tell, I'm doing pretty good.

This scoreboard has been brought up before, and I'd like to go back to it to help people understand that this isn't me, or anyone else, whining about skill.  Now, doing some fancy math stuff, I found that the average Score/Minute of the top 10 players is 1.272, and has a standard deviation of 0.204.  As you can see, I am above the average Score/Minute of the top 10.  So please, leave people's personal skill out of this discussion.  It is irrelevant, and will only cause unrelated arguments like this.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:55:46 PM by Monorail Cat »

Offline ๖Ϝцzsioᴎ

• Windows UserLinux UserCat LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +379
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
+1
I do this shit frequently, even on the old server and no one has said shit, seems to me that you're just a tiny little bit rustled at the circumstance. The way you worded it sounded like you straight up said "HE RDMED ME ADD RULE ABOUT THIS PLS" was just a tad silly. TTT is about taking risks, finding out who the traitor is, and who isn't.

Sorry that I bring this up, but on TTT_Airship someone stated that he saw you walk out of a room that he thought was where you killed someone. There was a shot, a scream, then a sound of body hitting the floor.

Things like that shouldn't seem to be an issue, but you made it become one and had the whole server listen to you two bickering
If you kill someone and they turn out to be an innocent, tough shit, that's what harsh karma is there for.

Offline ursus

View More Badges!

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »
I'm just going to reply to everything. Read all of this and watch the video before you reply to it.

When doing overwatch in CS:GO, you MUST have sufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt.  Sure, this person may have appeared to be following some guy through a wall, but that was once, so it was maybe a fluke.  If there was not sufficient evidence to convict him, you would say "Insufficient Evidence" and pass on.

In what way is Overwatch comparable at all to TTT? You need evidence beyond a reasonable doubt because Overwatch is a metagame element that permanently bans convicted players. If you make the wrong choice, that person could potentially never be able to play again. How is TTT at all like that? There isn't even permadeath. Not just that, but in TTT you know for sure that at least 1 out of every 4 players is a traitor. In Overwatch, the question is not "which 25% of these players is hacking?" The question is "Is this specific person hacking or not?" You're really grasping for straws here.

Applying this to TTT: Just because someone refuses to test for innocence, or stands in a doorway, doesn't make them a traitor.  Sure, it means you should watch them more closely, but you shouldn't take action because there is INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE to kill him.  I believe you need evidence beyond reasonable doubt when you decide to kill a traitor.

When people refuse to test, about 80% of the time I kill them. There's literally no reason for an innocent to refuse a (portable) traitor test, unless they're trying to bait the detective into killing them. Even on map testers, with the custom weapons you can shoot a traitor through the door if SHTF. If 90% of everyone who refuses to test is a traitor, that's good enough for me. If you're a traitor and you keep getting killed because you refuse to test, you should be staying away from the testers in the first place. The portable tester exists so detectives can corner a traitor who's about to kill them and know for sure if they're actually traitor or just an innocent baiting them into losing karma. If you want a game where you have to collect concrete evidence before you can even make accusations, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is under $20 on Amazon.

On another note, it seems that the idea of metagaming is present.  When playing with the common group of TTT gamers, I guess you'll eventually be able to catch on to the tiny behavioral differences of a person when they are Traitor.  This should have absolutely no effect on your judgement of the person.  In TTT, it's completely unfair to determine one's innocence based on the fact that you *think* you know how they normally act. 

It's absolutely fair. Have you heard of professional poker before? Literally every good game has a metagame. In any situation where human behavior is present, that behavior can be analyzed for extra information. Asking someone to just ignore any behavioral cues they may notice is basically saying "Even if you're reasonably sure this person is a traitor because of the way they're acting, you should give them a chance to do something first so everyone has equal fun." That's not how you make games fun, that's how you reward bad players. Again, it just sounds like you just want easier traitor rounds.

When someone kills a traitor under questionable circumstances, he should have to explain his reasoning, and the members present should decide whether or not it was a valid reason.

Why do only innocents have to explain themselves? Again, it sounds like you just want to put more uncertainty on the innocent side so that the traitors have an easier time. You're asking innocents to prove that they didn't RDM, but you're going out of your way to make sure that traitors have every possible advantage and only catastrophic failure can get them killed.

From then on during the session, if the subject breaks any rules or has another questionable kill reviewed as INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE, he gets kicked.  If the subject returns and continues his/her pattern, they get a temporary ban, and so on.

Is our server a courtroom? You are literally suggesting to ban everyone and anyone who chooses to play the game on a more complex level than you'd like. If you were saying this because you want to crack down on ghosting, sure, but all I read here is "I don't like it when people play the game better than me, and the only way I can solve this problem is by punishing them outside of the game." Just make a conscious effort to be a smarter traitor.

Also, stop trying to direct this ordeal at me.  I have not once, through this entire damn thread, given any names, to help show that this isn't a personal problem.  It has been happening to other players, and that's why it's a problem.  So stop trying to taunt me.  I'm not making a thread that's describing how I'm "upset because I'm not a very good traitor". 

You don't need to give names to single someone out. Anyone who plays on the server knows you're very obviously talking about me. My point:

I do this shit frequently, even on the old server and no one has said shit, seems to me that you're just a tiny little bit rustled at the circumstance. The way you worded it sounded like you straight up said "HE RDMED ME ADD RULE ABOUT THIS PLS" was just a tad silly. TTT is about taking risks, finding out who the traitor is, and who isn't.

Sorry that I bring this up, but on TTT_Airship someone stated that he saw you walk out of a room that he thought was where you killed someone. There was a shot, a scream, then a sound of body hitting the floor.

Things like that shouldn't seem to be an issue, but you made it become one and had the whole server listen to you two bickering
If you kill someone and they turn out to be an innocent, tough shit, that's what harsh karma is there for.

As you may assume, I don't really have a problem with how ursus plays. It's a very on the edge playstyle, opposed to playing the good boy innocent. If ursus fucks up and kills an inno, their karma will go down and say "you should probably think more before you shoot someone on suspicion, ya dingus!". If ursus kills you on suspicion and it turns out you're a traitor, tough shit man. Even if YOU think you did nothing wrong, ursus's anecdotal evidence may prove that you have a 90% chance of being a traitor and kill you before you kill anyone else.

It may be bullshit that you get shot by someone for what you think is not enough evidence, but it adds more variety to TTT. If ursus's and my playstyle was deemed banable, it would remove a lot of fun out of TTT and make it the utimate Good Cop game.

It's a playstyle that's very obviously associated with me, and you're trying to get it outlawed because you'd rather change the rules of the game than adapt to it.

So, you claim that my analogy is a poor one.  How?  Isn't that kind of the process we are supposed to go through when we kick people?  Actually, I think it's exactly the process we go through.  We look at some sort of argument/dispute/problem, and we review it, and then make a vote for all of the members to decide if the person should be kicked or not. 

Since you want to take the high ground here, I went through my demos to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG5zXkB0lf0#

Do you see the discrepancy here? Nevermind that you changed your analogy from Overwatch to kicking people in TTT, which are two other completely different things, but in that round you threatened to kick me for making a vaguely rude joke at worst. You even go completely silent in the video when Deathie calls you out on it, which tells me you're aware that it's unjustified and you don't care. You even shot me because of a false KoS from the traitor without asking a single question or checking any bodies, which is also completely opposite to the way you've been saying we should all play in this thread. It's really obvious that you making this thread has almost nothing to do with actual fairness, and more to do with you wanting to vindicate yourself after pushing the issue to an embarrassing extent.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:03:19 AM by ursus »

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 10:12:31 PM »
  I believe you need evidence beyond reasonable doubt when you decide to kill a traitor.

ya i have to disagree I've played on servers that used a rule like that and you want to know how the game play happened? basically everyone circle jerking around the detective until he said you can kill this person... no thanks was no fun at all..

As for you getting killed it could be for any number of good reason that you may or may not be aware of.. for example i once knew a guy that only use a certain weapon when he was the T so anytime i saw him with it i knew he was a traitor no questions asked, you can argue thats not a good reason but since i played with him for so long i know his habits.. After you play with people for a awhile you pick up the way they play their rounds... Maybe the guy has played with you before and noticed you only grab a sniper when you're a traitor who knows...

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 11:53:09 PM »
if you did anything to signify yourself as a traitor and somebody kills you for it, you should suck it up to be honest. the game is to kill everybody as a T, not to prove your death was just
Miami's Finest

Offline ursus

View More Badges!

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 12:02:41 AM »
if you did anything to signify yourself as a traitor and somebody kills you for it, you should suck it up to be honest. the game is to kill everybody as a T, not to prove your death was just

time to break this old bad boy out