.:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers (Read Only) > Projects

Soliciting gamemode ideas

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tiger Guy:

--- Quote from: Monorail Cat on September 30, 2015, 12:45:50 AM ---I've always wanted to see something like a racing gamemode, which could either be skill-based (like Gran Turismo) or combat-based (like Mario Kart).  It would be fun to have a fast-paced game like that, with power-ups and stuff.  Another variation of this idea could be with airplanes, though that may be more of a combat-oriented game instead of a race.

--- End quote ---
Have you ever been on a GMOD Racer server? You've implied that you knew about racing servers but I didn't know if you knew about it. I used to be active in one and it was pretty fun (Power Ups, upgrading armor/speed/bombs). I don't know if there's any active GMOD Racer servers, but it mostly fills what you want your proposed gamemode.

My idea for a racing gamemode is something like GMOD Racer but without the perma powerups (or with, I just think it would be in the better interest if races were mostly decided on skill, not how much money you've spent on your car), and maybe something like a skin or trail shop for your car using yomocoins. Instead of the perma powerups, I think a class system or allowicating points to increase or decrease speed, armor, etc. would be better. Also a record system would be mandatory, so record holders could flex their e-peen.

Deathie:

--- Quote from: Monorail Cat on September 30, 2015, 12:45:50 AM ---I've always wanted to see something like a racing gamemode

--- End quote ---
Gmod and source in general is exceptionally shitty with vehicle handling.

There was a fretta gamemode I made a map for a few years ago called G-Kart. It was supposed to be mario kart in gmod, but it wound up just being pretty bad because of how Gmod handles vehicle networking.

When you control a vehicle in Gmod, there's a massive lag that makes things incredibly unresponsive and really terrible when you need any sort of maneuverability. Basically your client sends an input response to the server, the server runs that, then returns the result to you. Vehicles are entirely serversided which causes a really stupid delay when you're trying to do anything.

That's just my personal opinion though, I don't know if the delay is as obvious or noticeable to other people. I've never scripted vehicles before, so that'd be a new experience. If you go with something like what Tiger Guy suggested, though, people would want to see something as in-depth as TDM cars used, which is a paid addon. Idk, racing games have never been my genre but if it's something that you think might kick off, then what would you guys suggest using for vehicles?

--- Quote from: Monorail Cat on September 30, 2015, 12:45:50 AM ---Another idea I had was for a silly, stupid, simple game.  Pretty much, it's a FFA game where everyone spawns empty-handed across an arena, and scattered all over the place are objects of significance (Think an Easter Egg hunt).

--- End quote ---

That might make an interesting fretta gamemode if you add in a few more powerups and stuff. I'm going to wait and see if coolz winds up updating to Nox's version of fretta though.

--- Quote from: TehHank on September 30, 2015, 08:40:13 AM ---I really want a stranded like gamemode, like winter survival, except less cold.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: blαh2355 on September 30, 2015, 06:39:04 PM ---Summer survival. Survive the steam sales.

--- End quote ---

Has a hunger games gamemode already been done? It always reminded me of Winter Survival, a time limited FFA where the goal was to be the last survivor. That might be pretty fun to make. Maybe have features for spectators to "help" the living players based on their own performance.

--- Quote from: blαh2355 on September 30, 2015, 06:39:04 PM ---Tank vs. Tank combat?

Jet dog fighting? Helicopters?

--- End quote ---

Again, vehicles are pretty awful to do in Gmod. Airborne vehicles are even worse. Tanks might not be so bad, but are you just thinking about seeing WoT inside Gmod?

Tiger Guy:
Yeah, there was a pretty noticible lag when you pressed a key to turn/start/stop and when the vehicle actually stopped. The gamemode was fun for what it was worth though. Definately the best use of vehicles in GMod that I can think of.

Monorail Cat:

--- Quote from: Tiger Guy on September 30, 2015, 07:22:35 PM ---Have you ever been on a GMOD Racer server? You've implied that you knew about racing servers but I didn't know if you knew about it. I used to be active in one and it was pretty fun (Power Ups, upgrading armor/speed/bombs). I don't know if there's any active GMOD Racer servers, but it mostly fills what you want your proposed gamemode.

--- End quote ---
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Yeah, this is mainly what I was thinking of when I wrote my suggestion, but my idea was for a less complex, more Fretta-friendly version.  And regarding the handling and goofiness of vehicles, I expected that would be the case, which is another reason I'm more in favor of my other idea (which is original, BTW).

I want to describe what I think of when I think Fretta, and just bear with me, you'll see where I'm going with this:  I always think of Fretta as the place to go to play minigames.  Garryware, dodgeball, deathrun, gamemaster, bomb tag, poltergeist, etc. are all very fast-paced and quick games that usually have very short rounds.  I believe that minigames like these make what Fretta is, because they are too short to have their own dedicated server that only runs them (with the exception of Deathrun, obviously), but are also long enough to be fun for the time they're played. 

--- Quote from: blαh2355 on September 30, 2015, 06:39:04 PM ---Summer survival. Survive the steam sales.

--- End quote ---
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Now, relating this back to the discussion:  Regarding the idea of a survival gamemode, I believe the only way it would work is for it to be somewhat persistent and quicker.  Those games usually take a while, because you need to gather materials, build a base, survive, etc.  This is why Sledbuild, Winter Survival, Stronghold, and Hungergames have rather long time limits.  It takes time to accumulate resources, build, survive.  On Fretta, when gamemodes like Slenderman are chosen, it's common for players to leave because they get bored of doing the same thing over and over, and having to wait long periods of time to respawn (I'm not saying this always happens.  Sometimes, players actually accumulate on those gamemodes).  This is what worries me about a survival gamemode- the players that put a lot of time and effort into surviving, just to be killed off, will not want to sit and spectate for the rest of the game.

So, if there was a way to make a survival game fast-paced enough to maintain interest and also keep the dead players occupied, then I think it would be pretty awesome to see.  Which, going back to my suggestion, is why I believe a quick and easy game would be favorable.

--- Quote from: ホロ on September 30, 2015, 07:40:08 PM ---That might make an interesting fretta gamemode if you add in a few more powerups and stuff.

--- End quote ---
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Other ideas for powerups may be:

* "Roll-the-Dice" style powerups in TF2, for example, something that makes you move fast, or makes you toxic so that if someone runs into you, they lose "eggs", or something that makes you smaller, or move slower, etc.
* something like "gravity" which makes "eggs" within a larger radius get collected by you,
* maybe a freeze-ray that will freeze someone for a few seconds if it hits,
* a timed invisibility upgrade,
* or maybe even something that blurs or inverts other player's screens (Think the ink squid in Mario Kart)
This is what I'm able to come up with right now, but I could probably think up more.

coolzeldad:
FYI guys, I have that racing gamemode I made for fretta that some people got to test a bit, it's functional but it lacks features that I have planned...

I'm planning to get it to a point where it's ~90% and release it, if I can get a solid block of development time.

That said, I wouldn't mind a different version either! :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version