Poll

How do you feel about a eventually having a TF2 server?

Great! I've always wanted one.
I don't mind.
Eh not really all that interested.
Not a good idea.
I don't care either way.

Author Topic: I Think We Should Consider Hosting a TF2 Server  (Read 204 times)

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
  • Respect: +1837
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
I Think We Should Consider Hosting a TF2 Server
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
+1
Hello everyone, now I've mentioned a TF2 server in the past to Coolz and other members, but of course the biggest reasons for people generally straying away from hosting one was usually the fact that TF2 has "heavily saturated servers" and the fact that I am about 74.6% positive that we've hosted one before in the past (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not actually sure lol). None the less, I still believe strongly that us having a TF2 server would not only bring in a lot of new members since the game is still heavily popular and updated frequently, but I personally always find TF2 very entertaining to play casually (not to imply everyone else does); it'd be nice to actually have a server to go to regularly. I honestly don't know if hosting one is difficult or not, but I think it would be a worth while investment if it were to some day happen. I have people that ask me if rNd has a TF2 server quite often, and I always feel a bit disappointed having to tell them we don't.

My comments on the failure of the Dark RP server I've already made to plenty of people, and though I personally still believe it had great potential, I feel that a TF2 server is probably a much better option anyways and would more likely bring in people. For me gmod has lost a lot of the flavor that it used to have years ago, not saying that Fretta of course isn't enjoyable and that we should take that down, I just feel like if we could expand as a community to other games that have servers, we might also drawn in some more members. This is only a suggestion, and I don't expect anything to happen right away, especially after the recent host issue, but I do think it'd be something nice to think on and consider as a community for the future.

I don't think the fact that there are a lot of servers already out the for tf2 is something to be afraid of, as a gaming community we just all like to play fun games and have a good time. As long as that's happening, I think people will just come on their own. That's what happened with Fretta.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
Re: I Think We Should Consider Hosting a TF2 Server
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:54:02 AM »
Would fail faster and harder than Dark RP.

TF2 may have 3x as many players, but if I had to guess a lot of those people are probably people trading/doing their weekly idles.

TF2 seems like an odd place to get new members, feel like not many servers have communities just because it's a different type of game than Garry's Mod. TF2 is more competive, so there a little less fun, and talking from what I've experienced in the past. But that's just me.  It's why I still feel TTT is one of the best game modes for a community because there is so much interaction between players, because there needs to be.

I think one of the best things about Garry's Mod is that people can just drop in and play whenever they want, most games end quickly, you don't need to invest a lot of time for one round unlike TF2 where most the rounds last forever.

You also don't need as many players on Garry's Mod. If you get a 4+ people on any kind of garry's mod game, you can have a good time. You probably need at LEAST 8+ people for TF2.
Garry's Mod, sometimes people would go to empty servers and play on it(happens to Fretta quite often), that won't happen with TF2. No one is going to see the empty server and hope people join them. So we would need like 6 or something people on the server at all time playing it, not idling it, playing it. Because if the people aren't playing, it then the people who join will just leave because they have no one to play with.
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:22:50 AM »
Would fail faster and harder than Dark RP.

TF2 may have 3x as many players, but if I had to guess a lot of those people are probably people trading/doing their weekly idles.

TF2 seems like an odd place to get new members, feel like not many servers have communities just because it's a different type of game than Garry's Mod. TF2 is more competive, so there a little less fun, and talking from what I've experienced in the past. But that's just me.  It's why I still feel TTT is one of the best game modes for a community because there is so much interaction between players, because there needs to be.

I think one of the best things about Garry's Mod is that people can just drop in and play whenever they want, most games end quickly, you don't need to invest a lot of time for one round unlike TF2 where most the rounds last forever.

You also don't need as many players on Garry's Mod. If you get a 4+ people on any kind of garry's mod game, you can have a good time. You probably need at LEAST 8+ people for TF2.
Garry's Mod, sometimes people would go to empty servers and play on it(happens to Fretta quite often), that won't happen with TF2. No one is going to see the empty server and hope people join them. So we would need like 6 or something people on the server at all time playing it, not idling it, playing it. Because if the people aren't playing, it then the people who join will just leave because they have no one to play with.
The reason I say TF2 would be a better option, is because compared to gmod it has a much bigger player base, and more options already implemented in the game (hats, trading, custom maps etc) so that will already make people want to join servers, no matter if they're empty or not. The other thing is the random game mode button. I know personally if I'm bored that I go to that. Sends me to some random server to play on, I play for a couple of hours. Then I get off, since I'm not interested in joining other people's communities.

Also to note on both the competitive nature of the game and round time. TF2 is reeeeally not that competitive. I mean sure you can play it competitively,  but I mean hell back in the day people probably used to play Monkey Ball Adventure competitively. It's a game, people are competive, but it's also and extremely casual game, that some people go to just to enjoy for a couple minutes, hours, then leave. The rounds also only last as long as the person hosting it makes it. If you're in a 24/7 dustbowl capture the point server, then yeah the rounds more or less last forever.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 05:57:08 AM »
Last time we had a TF2 server it wasn't really all that populated if I remember correctly. And this was before when we had a rotation server and the server break.

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:32 AM »
I also wanted to bring this up since this was a good point that Yoshi made to me while I was talking to him.   The point of our community is to have fun. Yes getting members is great, but in the beginning do you really think thats what was on everyone's minds? No, it was about just having a good time and hanging out with friends. If the server doesn't work out, oh well, but at least we are changing things up a bit. We are a server dedicated to playing cool games, so we should go out of our way to find games other than gmod, this may be a reused idea but since the last time we had one I'm sure things have changed.

Like the fact that the game is free, which means anyone can play.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:16:16 PM by ○ Marie ○ »

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
+1
Yeah sure, its a pretty casual game and very fun in bursts with friends. I still remeber when we did that rNd TF2 match which was hella fun.

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
+1
The reason I say TF2 would be a better option, is because compared to gmod it has a much bigger player base, and more options already implemented in the game (hats, trading, custom maps etc) so that will already make people want to join servers, no matter if they're empty or not. The other thing is the random game mode button. I know personally if I'm bored that I go to that. Sends me to some random server to play on, I play for a couple of hours. Then I get off, since I'm not interested in joining other people's communities.

Also to note on both the competitive nature of the game and round time. TF2 is reeeeally not that competitive. I mean sure you can play it competitively,  but I mean hell back in the day people probably used to play Monkey Ball Adventure competitively. It's a game, people are competive, but it's also and extremely casual game, that some people go to just to enjoy for a couple minutes, hours, then leave. The rounds also only last as long as the person hosting it makes it. If you're in a 24/7 dustbowl capture the point server, then yeah the rounds more or less last forever.
"and more options already implemented in the game (hats, trading, custom maps etc) so that will already make people want to join servers"
But that's on every server, so why would this even matter? Also every server has it's own purpose, to idle or to trade, or  to actually play.

And it's more competitive than Garry's Mod, I mean sure, people won't be making strategy's and shit, but they probably won't be focused on casually talking as well.

I also wanted to bring this up since this was a good point that Yoshi made to me while I was talking to him.   The point of our community is to have fun. Yes getting members is great, but in the beginning do you really think thats what was on everyone's minds? No, it was about just having a good time and hanging out with friends. If the server doesn't work out, oh well, but at least we are changing things up a bit. We are a sever dedicated to playing cool games, so we should go out of our way to find games other than gmod, this may be a reused idea but since the last time we had one I'm sure things have changed.

Like the fact that the game is free, which means anyone can play.
"If the server doesn't work out, oh well, but at least we are changing things up a bit."
It would just waste's coolz time to do it. I don't know how long it would take exactly, but it would just suck if he put hours of work into it and no one ever went on it. I just see Dark RP 2.0.

One last thing I want to bring up, I'm part of another community(steamgifts) which has about 100-500 active forum users(and that's just forum users), they tried making a TF2 server awhile back, and even that failed, no one was ever on it really, think the most I saw on was like 4 people. I guess you could argue that the forum members aren't as close as rNd members are, which is true, but still, I'm pretty sure besides maybe the first day or so of the server being up, it would never have people on it. It'd be easier for us all to just hop on a random dead server to play.

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
+1
"and more options already implemented in the game (hats, trading, custom maps etc) so that will already make people want to join servers"
But that's on every server, so why would this even matter? Also every server has it's own purpose, to idle or to trade, or  to actually play.

And it's more competitive than Garry's Mod, I mean sure, people won't be making strategy's and shit, but they probably won't be focused on casually talking as well.

"If the server doesn't work out, oh well, but at least we are changing things up a bit."
It would just waste's coolz time to do it. I don't know how long it would take exactly, but it would just suck if he put hours of work into it and no one ever went on it. I just see Dark RP 2.0.

One last thing I want to bring up, I'm part of another community(steamgifts) which has about 100-500 active forum users(and that's just forum users), they tried making a TF2 server awhile back, and even that failed, no one was ever on it really, think the most I saw on was like 4 people. I guess you could argue that the forum members aren't as close as rNd members are, which is true, but still, I'm pretty sure besides maybe the first day or so of the server being up, it would never have people on it. It'd be easier for us all to just hop on a random dead server to play.

Why would it being competitive be a bad thing lol? It's a game that has two teams, of course it's going to be competitive? You could say the same when playing Sniper Wars, Dodge Ball, any other game mode that has two teams. Does that mean people are going to rip each others throats out playing: no. You can play competitively while the game is casual, it's actually not that hard. It's like playing a normal game of League of Legends, yah it's competitive, you want to win, but at the end of the game it doesn't really matter that much to you since it's just a normal game, you're just playing to have fun.

I really doubt a vanilla TF2 server is something incredibly difficult to put up, now I've never hosted one myself so I can't talk from experience, but the fact that it's a free game and again, "relatively casual" I doubt that it's difficult. I also as stated in the original post, said that if he would rather not host the server himself, for one reason or another, but people were interested, I could host it on his behalf to take weight off of him.

And to address your last comment, I would not have suggested a TF2 server without having a decent amount of people who would be interested in being active and play in one (Usually people with around +500 hours give or take) so I am not just saying "hey let's just put up this server" without having an actual player base that'd be interested, I am not here to waste peoples time. If that's how you feel about "dead TF2 servers" then you can say the same for literally anything; our Fretta server currently has no one on it at the moment, we'd better shut it down and go to some other random dead server right? It's not about that, sure you're using resources to run a server but it's about people going into a server run by their community, and playing some games. Don't you think Coolz would have shut down the gmod server completely by now if he thought it was just a waste of time and resources? People aren't always on it 24/7, but when people are on it they're having a good time.

I'm not asking for a TF2 server to go up right away, I'm saying this is a good idea to think about, because it's something a lot of people could take part in and is something that is host-able, unlike League.

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
+1
Why would it being competitive be a bad thing lol? It's a game that has two teams, of course it's going to be competitive? You could say the same when playing Sniper Wars, Dodge Ball, any other game mode that has two teams. Does that mean people are going to rip each others throats out playing: no. You can play competitively while the game is casual, it's actually not that hard. It's like playing a normal game of League of Legends, yah it's competitive, you want to win, but at the end of the game it doesn't really matter that much to you since it's just a normal game, you're just playing to have fun.

I really doubt a vanilla TF2 server is something incredibly difficult to put up, now I've never hosted one myself so I can't talk from experience, but the fact that it's a free game and again, "relatively casual" I doubt that it's difficult. I also as stated in the original post, said that if he would rather not host the server himself, for one reason or another, but people were interested, I could host it on his behalf to take weight off of him.

And to address your last comment, I would not have suggested a TF2 server without having a decent amount of people who would be interested in being active and play in one (Usually people with around +500 hours give or take) so I am not just saying "hey let's just put up this server" without having an actual player base that'd be interested, I am not here to waste peoples time. If that's how you feel about "dead TF2 servers" then you can say the same for literally anything; our Fretta server currently has no one on it at the moment, we'd better shut it down and go to some other random dead server right? It's not about that, sure you're using resources to run a server but it's about people going into a server run by their community, and playing some games. Don't you think Coolz would have shut down the gmod server completely by now if he thought it was just a waste of time and resources? People aren't always on it 24/7, but when people are on it they're having a good time.

I'm not asking for a TF2 server to go up right away, I'm saying this is a good idea to think about, because it's something a lot of people could take part in and is something that is host-able, unlike League.

I'd argue the most competitive a game is, the less fun it can be at times. You'll still be having fun, but not as much fun as goofy fun as Garry's Mod is.  I wouldn't say Dodgeball is the same at all, especially because the rounds end so quickly and it just gets so chaotic. Sniper Wars is a better example, but then again most people don't even like sniper wars, so I'd feel like that would be proving my point. lol

If it's simple, it probably would be fine for coolz to do, but I still feel like it would just be Dark RP 2.0.

So far with the poll it seems not too many are interested, but maybe that will change, can always try to invite old members to it I guess.
As for Fretta, I can of already addressed that in an already post. It takes far less people to enjoy a game of Fretta/most Garry's mod games than it does a game like TF2 players. Anyone can convince 3 of their friends to go play Fretta, but for TF2, you have to get 7 others just to have a 4 v 4 going. And we have troubles quite often getting a game of 8 for L4D.

Not trying to be a party pooper or anything, I'd just hate to see your guys put hours of time into something, and then it all goes to waste.

Offline Cable

• hi
  • Respect: +1085
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
Changed my vote

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »
I'd suggest removing options from the poll to get a better result in who wants a server and who doesn't want a server... besides "Great! I've always wanted one." all the other options are pretty much "meh" even the "I don't mind." option doesn't really state someone wants to play or not. Even 3 options would be better

1, yes i want a server
2, i might play
3, nope GTFO
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:31:05 AM by Shawn »

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
I'd suggest removing options from the poll to get a better result in who wants a server and who doesn't want a server... besides "Great! I've always wanted one." all the other options are pretty much "meh" even the "I don't mind." option doesn't really state someone wants to play or not. Even 3 options would be better

1, yes i want a server
2, i might play
3, nope GTFO

The first and second option both technically are "yes" one is just a "I've wanted it" and the other is "I wouldn't mind having it"

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
The first and second option both technically are "yes" one is just a "I've wanted it" and the other is "I wouldn't mind having it"
fair enough Lol

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:38:28 AM »
+1
Well we had a Blast yesterday playing Nightmare Haloween MVM as a casual blast.