Author Topic: Life Advice  (Read 179 times)

Offline Infinimint

• Respect: +68
    • United Development
Life Advice
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »
+1
Well guys, I need a little advice. The past few months I've been horribly depressed for a number of reasons. Primarily because I've been in two car accidents and am now in horrible debt. On top of that, my grades have gone to shit and that itself has also made myself and my family argue. I have few friends because I live in a military family and we move so much. so I tend to never make long-lasting relationships with people because it hurts too much to let people you care about go. Also, the best friend I currently have moved to another city earlier last year, so I don't have anyone to hang out with.  This is just the beginning to a list of issues that I'm not going to delve deeper into. So now that I've introduced the cause, let me talk about the effects.

I have a friend who I've always cared about (this isn't the same one who moved). You guys don't know who she is so don't try to guess. Ever since I met her I've always gone out of my way to show how much I care for her, as a friend. I've never tried to make a gesture that I've wanted to be more than friends or anything like that. I've always gotten all of my friends gifts every Christmas and for their birthdays because friends typically do that kind of stuff. This friend is different. Instead, I typically get nothing back in return. I've never asked for anything besides a simple picture. I've only asked for that one thing because I know she wants to have a career doing that and I know it's what she loves to do and what she's very good at. I've never gotten one even though it's the same thing I ask for every holiday. Which I've typically ignored until now.

What makes now different was that it was my birthday a few days ago. Just like Christmas, I asked for nothing from nobody. I'm in debt from my parents so I don't feel that it is right of me to ask for anything. Despite this, my parents went out of their way trying to make my birthday special, since I turned 18, without spending much money since they knew I'd be upset if they did. All of my friends wished me a happy birthday, even people I barely knew remembered. Except this one friend. She and I used to talk much more, but being at different schools and in different grades, we still talk frequently, but not nearly as often. We also rarely hang out. Well, she forgot. I talked to her for a while when I saw her, and she didn't mention it. As I left I said, "Happy Birthday Infinimint?" (using my real name, of course), and she's like, "Oh, I forgot." and just kept walking. She never messaged me, texted me, called me, facebook'd me, or anything regarding it. It was like she could care less. Despite all I had done for her in the past. Even now, she has yet to say anything about it.

At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but it was pretty upsetting. Y'know, friends who care about each other, typically do things like that. Why is it that when I go out of my way for her, she doesn't return the favor? Now, before any of you think it, I don't like her like that. I'm just a friend, and I'd like it to stay that way. However, overhearing her talk the other day, she made me sound like a rapist while talking with her family saying something along the lines of "I don't want to be alone around him."... What? I'd understand if I was some sort of weirdo, but being a trusted friend, I took it really offensively. After talking it over with her, she said it for reasons which I'm not going to mention, but for the most part she apologized and everything continued along fine.

Still, I wondered, why was it that she treated me like this? What had I done? I've talked to her about her relationships and tried to give her advice, as well as many other things trying to be helpful. She and I have had very similar events happen in relationships and are very like-minded. It turns out, that like myself, she is pretty depressed. The only difference being that she has been depressed for three years, much much longer than myself. I've tried my best to talk her through this, but she doesn't seem to care what I have to say. No matter what I do to try to make her feel better, I almost always do something wrong, in some way, it would appear.

In case anyone has been wondering why I've been gone, it is because I'm selling my computer. As well as my car. As well as anything I have left that is valuable. I need to pay of my debts, and several thousands of dollars is quite a pretty penny. I've been working almost nonstop (aside from this week), and yet I get paid next to nothing. On top of that, I have more and more bills adding up all the time. At work, I have to take a lot of shit from my coworkers and do all the jobs they don't want to in a sorry attempt to impress my managers. Thus far, it hasn't changed anything. While taking a break from gaming and what I enjoy most, programming, I've seen a lot. I've found that my family truly cares for me much more than I've thought, and that there's much more I can be doing than sitting in front of a computer all day. I've been seeking to find stability, but instead I'm finding clarity.

Back to the friend. I've been pretty upset with her lately with some of the things she's said to me and about a recent incident which isn't appropriate to mention in this context. Today, I confronted her saying that I'd like to take a break in out friendship because I felt it was unmutual and one-sided. It really hurt to tell her that, but I felt that for my own sake, I needed to. I've been an emotional wreck lately and the way she's been making me feel isn't helping. Is it wrong to tell her that? She said that she "no longer feels anything" due to the depression and that that's why she's done what she's done, but is that good enough justification? She's said it in the past, and as much of an ass I feel like saying it, I feel she's almost using it as a crutch.

She can tell me anything and I listen. I've tried to help her and talk her through the depression, but she doesn't listen. I try to give her advice regarding guys in the hopes that she'll find someone to make her happy. I've asked her to hang out all the time because I know she likes being with friends. I've tried to do everything I can and it seems like it's never enough. It hurt very badly to tell her what I said, but I feel that if I don't at least take a small break, I'm gonna overreact and say something worse. The last thing I'd want is for something crazy to happen like that. Is this wrong? Have I gone too far?

I hope she can learn to forgive me.

What do you guys think? Did I go to far? Any advice is welcome, but please keep this thread serious and leave shitty jokes and noncontributing comments elsewhere.

TL;DR: If you don't want to read the above, find another thread to post in.

EDIT: The reason I posted here and not on another website is that 1) some of you guys actually know me (and if you don't, that's fine too), and 2) I know that some of you guys can give me better responses than what you'd find on other sites or communities.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:53:41 PM by Infinimint »

Offline saivon

• Break the sound barrier, cause a sound boom
  • Windows UserDog LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Break the time barrier, cause a time boom
  • Respect: +195
Re: Life Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
+2
Tbh, I think you did do the right thing to take a break, just give it some time and I'm pretty sure things will get better bro, and so sorry to hear about the car accidents and if you don't mind me asking if it's not too off topic did the person/yourself get injured ?

Offline Infinimint

• United Development
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
Tbh, I think you did do the right thing to take a break, just give it some time and I'm pretty sure things will get better bro, and so sorry to hear about the car accidents and if you don't mind me asking if it's not too off topic did the person/yourself get injured ?

Thankfully no injuries. However, with both my car and my parent's car wrecked, it's put a lot of stress on my parents having to drive everyone around everywhere. Especially since my sister, her fiance, and their son moved in with us. Everyone needs to go somewhere and nobody has any way to get there. I know things will get better eventually, but in the meantime, it's pretty much just sucked.

The most annoying part about the accidents was that I couldn't have done anything to change either one. The first one was from my tires spinning out and hydroplaning (it was freezing rain) causing a t-bone from a huge pickup-truck. I was found at fault and had to pay damages. The second was because my parents car was in the garage at a weird angle and when I backed it out I was looking behind myself to check for people and cars and such and the edge of the garage just barely caught the front quarter panel and ripped it, the front bumper, and the headlight, to shreds. I have to pay for that as well, of course. It's unfortunate, but it happens. Life goes on.

Offline saivon

• Break the sound barrier, cause a sound boom
  • Windows UserDog LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Break the time barrier, cause a time boom
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
+1
That sucks, really sorry to hear again and I'm pretty sure it gets better and maybe something beneficial will happen to you soon, super sorry to hear )):

Offline Infinimint

• United Development
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
+2
That sucks, really sorry to hear again and I'm pretty sure it gets better and maybe something beneficial will happen to you soon, super sorry to hear )):

I also broke my phone (still works, but the glass is cracked pretty bad), have been getting less hours at work, got really sick recently (which I'm gonna have to go to the doctor for to see what the issue is since it might be something really really bad if it is what my mom and I think it is), have been getting more homework and projects, and to be honest, I really haven't been myself lately because of all of it, which really disgusts me.

I know that others have it worse, however, so I think that's enough self-pity for now. Things will get better, I just need to be patient.

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »
+2
One of the things I've learned in life, is that you can't give people advice unless they ask. Also doesn't help when you are depressed the brain sometimes shuts out what people are saying and what's going on, it's weird and doesn't make any sense really..

The whole birthday situation kinda makes her sound like a bitch. Also weird that she doesn't want to be alone around you.
You can continue to be friends with her, but if she doesn't want to hang out or whatever maybe it's just to part ways. Friendships come and go. It's a sad part of life, but it's life.

A shame things are so shitty for you right now. Hope all goes better for you.
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:02:58 AM »
+3
One of the things I'd like to say, m8, is that TRUE, clinical, physiological depression can't be helped in most cases. It's a chemical imbalance.
Secondly, I, having been the one to sustain a one-way friendship, also think that it was the best you could do. It was either that, Or staying in position and exploding on her (in the not cool way).
About school, wrecks, and debts, it's just something you'll have to endure. You have all the right to self pity, be sad, and bitch about it in the world, but since it will only make it worse, I suggest doing it slightly. The traveling life is definitely a tough one, but if you've come so far, there's only going forward. The good thing about rock bottom, is that everything after is better. I've been there, and I can guarantee it.

Take my comments as you will, and make the best of them. Sorry and good luck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:05:16 AM by Frank »

Offline ·UηİŦ··

• eeeeeeeeeee
  • Windows UserApple UserOld Forum MemberLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Exit left.
  • Respect: +389
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »
+2
I'll be honest as much as I can right now without being all tl;dr and 'weird'.

Also I agree with everyone in here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the same time, following everyone else's replies, it didn't seem like I needed to respond... but I figured I may as well because it indeed has been a while since we talked.

Offline Goat

• Windows UserDog LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +178
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »
+3
I'll be honest as much as I can right now without being all tl;dr and 'weird'.

Also I agree with everyone in here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the same time, following everyone else's replies, it didn't seem like I needed to respond... but I figured I may as well because it indeed has been a while since we talked.

Articulate as ever Unit.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
+2
   You might want to start prioritizing your things that you think are the most important. If I were you I'd probably put school in front of that list since doing well in school is basically your first essential steps in your upcoming career. I don't think it's worth to sacrifice your education and dedicate yourself to the fullest extent to repaying debts. That being said school work should not take too much of your time away, just try to get your grades up to the minimum acceptable level.

Now with your job, well if coworkers are as you say and if doing jobs that nobody wants isn't doing anything that just save your pride. It really isn't worth it, just do what you have to and that's it. If you're depressed then believe me throwing away your pride is very bad idea, at least for me.

In the situation with your friend, I think that you've done somewhat the right thing since you've got fed up with what you felt was one-sided friendship therefore I think telling her that you wanted to take a break was completely justifiable.

Also about your debt, I didn't quite understood, are you indebted to the government institutions or to your parents who covered your debts for you?

Offline Infinimint

• United Development
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
@Hideo
Thanks for your input, I hope so as well.

@Frank
I don't necessarily think it's chemical, but at this point, I have no idea. Thanks for your words though, hopefully it'll get better soon.

@Unit
I'm extremely appreciative of what you said. I'll message you later.

@Prox
Yes, grades are starting to become a much larger priority and selling the computer is definitely a contributing factor. As for my job, I work at a restaurant and the thing is, if I stop doing those shitty tasks, the restaurant would seriously collapse without anyone doing them. I don't do it because I want to, but because if I didn't, nobody would, and someone would get fired. I'd hope that person would not be myself. I just wish my managers would realize this. Regarding the debt, for the most part, my parents. Which makes me feel terrible since I don't like my parents having to pay for anything I do which is why I don't ask for much.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
+1
Yes, grades are starting to become a much larger priority and selling the computer is definitely a contributing factor. As for my job, I work at a restaurant and the thing is, if I stop doing those shitty tasks, the restaurant would seriously collapse without anyone doing them. I don't do it because I want to, but because if I didn't, nobody would, and someone would get fired. I'd hope that person would not be myself. I just wish my managers would realize this. Regarding the debt, for the most part, my parents. Which makes me feel terrible since I don't like my parents having to pay for anything I do which is why I don't ask for much.
Well if it's just debt to your parents then I think you should ease off a little, because with this kind of determination that you have I'm sure that you will sooner or later repay your debt to them and it doesn't have to be at a cost of your mental health, you can just give yourself more time and make a steady progress without dedicating yourself completely for work. After all, parents are there to support us until we finish our studies and become completely independent.

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
So I'll start off with about your friend. Take a moment and look back at all of your semi-recent notable actions with her at the start of your falling out, and try to distance yourself enough from them that you can look at them in a negative light.

As far as I see it, I can understand how she can feel uncomfortable with you. Not that she is correct in her assumptions but I can at least understand how she can feel that way.

First off asking to take someone's picture isn't a simple request. People are weird about that kind of thing, so you need to approach that carefully. Think about all the negative connotations you can make from a male asking for a female's picture. Your mind is dirty enough I'm sure you can think of plenty. So if you ask someone for their picture and they say no, you just drop it. It is extremely easy to make people really uncomfortable if you ask them multiple times about something like that. It's something that you will have to accept in photography unless you intend to have a career as a paparazzi photographer.

However, overhearing her talk the other day...
Statements like this should set off alarm bells in your own mind, yes I understand you didn't intend anything malicious about eavesdropping on her, but the fact of the matter is you were eavesdropping. So it likely wasn't any one thing that made her get this opinion of you. It was probably a whole bunch of innocent things but put together and given the correct negative spin in a persons mind, you can easily form negative opinions about people.

So honestly? Keep your distance, and do not form any intentions about trying to mend things as it will just make it worse. In a few years time perhaps after you both have had a chance to mature and forget about stuff, perhaps you can become good acquaintances again, but you guys wont have the same close friendship again. I'm sorry man, but its what happens when you are growing up. Your brain changes its wiring a bit, and now you have different opinions about stuff. I had some friend where a similar falling out occurred, it hurt pretty good, I was happy to get some new friends at college, but I just stopped worrying about it. A few years later I ran into them a few times, and now we are good acquaintances at least.

So I am going to repeat myself just so we are clear. Any attempts to try and mend things this soon after will just hurt both of you. Get some time (a year or so at least) and distance between you and her; that more than anything will mend stuff between you.

No for your car and work stuff. Insurance should have paid for your first accident, T-boneing a truck is far too expensive of an accident to not use your insurance for. So unless you parents have 10 cars on insurance you should have used it.

If you and your family are going to have difficulty feeding yourselves because of the debt, then that is one thing. If it is just making things difficult you guys you are letting your ego get in your way. I say this because I am just as guilty in doing this. It's pretty damn painful to disappoint people like that especially your parents, it's a natural reaction to want to deal with it as soon as you possibly can. But from the sounds of it that is the wrong way to go in this case.

Sit down with your parents, and talk to them. Tell them that you realize you messed up pretty good, but you want to make sure you pay off this debt in the most responsible manner you can. Bring your income forms with you and tell them this is how much you make a month, and after taxes this is how much I can pay you a month. Make sure the number is within your means, if you are not eating at the expense of paying your parents you are not handling this in a responsible manner. Don't solve a mistake with another one. But once you do settle on a payment level, make it. Make it every single month with no questions asked. To do this make sure the payment level is something you feel comfortable making a promise like this.

This is by no means the easy way to go. This conversation will likely be one of the most difficult you will make. But in the end it will be a much greater relief

Secondly. I know you want to make photography your job. That said, everyone wants to make photography their job. You are too intelligent of a person to be wasting your time working in a restaurant. Go to school and get some IT certificates or a comp sci degree. Get your feet underneath you with a well paying job that you still reasonably enjoy doing. Then with photography as your main hobby, keep working at your photography stuff. Take a few classes in it while you are in college, and then after you have a solid footing underneath you and you start making clients on the side with your photography then transition into it, if that is still what you want to do.

Go to a public college that is in state. The benefit of going to an expensive college is pretty meaningless if it means it puts you hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt.

Also do the crappy jobs, and do not expect to get anything out of it. I know you don't go up to your bosses and go HEY BOSS LOOKAT ME, but if you do those jobs with the intention of getting something out of it, it will backfire. Because subliminally when you have this mindset it changes your behavior ever so slightly, and people pick up on it even if they don't realize that they are.

One of favorites of my grandpa's saying is " The harder you work, the luckier you get. "
The reason for this, is you will never get great opportunities, unless you put yourself in a position to take advantage of them.

I was as honest as I could be here, I know there are plenty things that I have said that you will disagree with, but either way message me on steam when you see I'm online, we should talk for a bit on teamspeak.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Infinimint

• United Development
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
+1
@Xrain

By picture, I meant drawing. None of what I wrote was about photography, sorry if it was misinterpreted. I've been pursuing computer science since I was ten years old fully intend to continue. :)

For the car (I was the one who was T-boned), insurance covered it, but now I'm working on paying my dad back for the deductible, all upgrades/maintenance we have done to the vehicle, as well as extra to make-up for the loss since we will be selling it and will more than likely not get what we are hoping for it. As for the other car, my parents finally decided to put it on the insurance but were waiting because they wanted to make sure they wouldn't get dropped since my sister had totaled a truck and a few other accidents. The difficulty it brought was not necessarily the cost, but the fact that everyone in my house works and now two of the vehicles we had before, nobody can drive. This has put a ton of stress on my parents as they've been having to take care of all the transportation for everyone which is really demanding.

I've been talking with my parents and have found they're much more reasonable than I had thought. We're still in the works of figuring out exactly how I'm going to pay them back, since my income varies heavily, but I think they have an idea.

As for school, my current plan is to attend community college to knock-out Gen. Ed. requirements and then transfer to a University. Although, there is a possibility of getting a full-ride on computer science (since my teacher is very close with the University's administration and professors), but that hasn't been decided yet.

"The harder you work, the luckier you get. " He sounds very wise, I very much like that quote. My attitude towards doing the jobs isn't poor by any means, hell, I'm just happy to be making money and to have a job. But at the same time, I'm just hoping that I can find a way to make a bit more since about $5.50/hr after taxes and only about 20-35 hours a week isn't much when I have to pay monthly bills on top of paying back my parents.

There's a few people I've been trying to get a hold of to talk to, but without my computer setup, it's a bit rough trying to use the forum, Steam, TeamSpeak, and whatever else. I find it easiest at the moment just to use Facebook, but I'll be sure to catch up with you sometime and have a talk. It's been a while since I've gotten to hear you talk about physics, engines, and other science-related stuff. :)

Offline Fenix

• Your personal ZS guide & pro.
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Good to heard you're starting to solve your problems Infinimint. Keep up at it! And in case you ever need this, I just want to put it here.