Author Topic: Workshop  (Read 93 times)

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

Workshop
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »
Hey guys 'n gals,

After listening to the meeting you all had on the last Friday of June, I thought for a few days that we should have a workshop for developing a gamemode or some sort of original game (something that is unique but doesn't yank the chain). Something that players would bust their balls to play. Something so edgy and random that players would have no reason not to play it. By workshop, I mean that we collaborate in this thread or somewhere else (voice especially) and brainstorm ideas. Of course, none of us have much free time and this can't become a triple A project. Ever since I thought about this, I've always had a business perspective and I don't want to drag too far away from the "We love awesome games and wish to provide them" motto.

If we ever do have a plan set and a good base to work from, it can grow gradually. One idea is that we can host [project] on the weekends for a month, give out prizes, track statistics, and check its standing.

I myself have a limited skillset but I think learning-as-I-go can work out. I enjoy working with the mechanics for systems and conditionals, and I would most definitely be willing to cooperate with you all.

I wanted to post this to get the ball rolling -- I see some opportunity in drawing a new crowd. So we can start somewhere and have fun along the way... This might be too ambitious, so I want to see what you all think about this.

And it'd be best if we keep this private for the time being.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

Re: Workshop
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
Tbh I think it's more of a community perspective that would help populate the servers and forums. What I mean by that is actually to have people in the server hanging out and having fun. People will eventually realize it's place they can go to to have fun and will become more involved. That's always how it has been for RND but a lot of the people who would be in the servers actively previously that engaged people and were involved with everyone on the server has left or become inactive or doesn't really care any more. Really what RND needs it just those people again. Unfortunately it's not something you can force people to do, however. They have to want to be on there and having fun with everyone.

However it may help if something like a new gamemode were created just for our servers, or even just any gamemode implemented in particular that would allow people to have fun with eacother, something like Fretta possibly or something that forces people to somehow communicate with eachother a little more to play. Generally people would communicate a lot more in Fretta than TTT for example, and it was a lot easier to mess around and have fun in Fretta without breaking rules than on TTT. Me and Jman used to always have fun with everyone on Fretta for example and people used to always join if we did just to mess around and not play so seriously. So if a new game mode allowed people to play in such a way, I think that could potentially bring in a lot of new people into the community. I don't know if that's the best solution though because it takes a lot of work to start up and finish a project like that and could turn out to be a total waste of a lot of time.

But if people actually want to create a game mode for everyone and not as a chore to save the community, then that would work. I don't think that will be the case though. If a project like that were to start I would try to help in every way I could personally though.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »
omgpop style games in gmod. nuff said.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
omgpop style games in gmod. nuff said.
I honestly thought of stuff like that a lot. I have a lot of cool ideas for things like that I think and realistic ways for it to work but don't really know how to actually create it and haven't stuck with learning how.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
I honestly thought of stuff like that a lot. I have a lot of cool ideas for things like that I think and realistic ways for it to work but don't really know how to actually create it and haven't stuck with learning how.

I have a few ideas in mind of how it could work...

look at this gamemode for example, inspired by a Mario Party minigame

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104512151&searchtext=Cut+the+rope

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
Well I've been working on modeling, might be a good chance for me to try and attempt to make something cool for the servers, though I can't say I am that amazing. I still need a lot of practice, a lot. But I can for sure make textures. I am good with the flashy stuff.  ;D
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »
I have a few ideas in mind of how it could work...

look at this gamemode for example, inspired by a Mario Party minigame

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104512151&searchtext=Cut+the+rope
Ya like I said ideas isn't really where we would be lacking, it's the skill and time commitment to actually pull it off mainly with programming.

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
Here are my official Xrain suggestions for success™

1. Start small, then build up to bigger things
eg: Hey lets make pong in gmod to start with, then maybe add a point system to it.
Reason: None of you have successfully made a game before. You will find you have learned a great deal on how to make a game from something seemingly simple and stupid, and might not have been as easy as you first thought. 

2. Clearly define as many of the elements of the game as you can.
aka make a list of what you have to do for the game to succeed, if you get a comprehensive definition for all the game elements it will help you guys hand out tasks, and give you a timeline to when you will be finished.

This is the 7th or so undertaking to try an make a game in this community. Every time so far it has always gotten too ambitious, and then people have lost interest since there was such a daunting amount of things ahead. Or something that seemed like it was going to be simple was too hard. Or the idea has gotten too grand and no one can really figure out where to start.

My advice would be to make a very very simple game-mode first. but have everyone contribute something. Then build off of that to something more complicated. Once you get that done you can move on to the cool things like rpg systems.

A good starting idea would be to do this:

GMOD Pong:

- Small simple rectangular level
- A ball that bounces back and forth.
- Hits a player it rebounds to the other side
- Hits a wall adds 1 to the score.
- Ball Speeds up over time
- Player walk-path locked in a horizontal line on each side.

If you guys could make something like this you stand a much much better chance of something more complex.

Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty serious thought problems involved in that idea I gave you to work in gmod, but it is simple enough that it should be achievable.

If you guys have a similarly simple idea on what to do go ahead and try it instead of mine, it is just an example.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Sabb

View More Badges!

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:35:25 AM »
Here are my official Xrain suggestions for success™

1. Start small, then build up to bigger things
eg: Hey lets make pong in gmod to start with, then maybe add a point system to it.
Reason: None of you have successfully made a game before. You will find you have learned a great deal on how to make a game from something seemingly simple and stupid, and might not have been as easy as you first thought. 

2. Clearly define as many of the elements of the game as you can.
aka make a list of what you have to do for the game to succeed, if you get a comprehensive definition for all the game elements it will help you guys hand out tasks, and give you a timeline to when you will be finished.

This is the 7th or so undertaking to try an make a game in this community. Every time so far it has always gotten too ambitious, and then people have lost interest since there was such a daunting amount of things ahead. Or something that seemed like it was going to be simple was too hard. Or the idea has gotten too grand and no one can really figure out where to start.

My advice would be to make a very very simple game-mode first. but have everyone contribute something. Then build off of that to something more complicated. Once you get that done you can move on to the cool things like rpg systems.

A good starting idea would be to do this:

GMOD Pong:

- Small simple rectangular level
- A ball that bounces back and forth.
- Hits a player it rebounds to the other side
- Hits a wall adds 1 to the score.
- Ball Speeds up over time
- Player walk-path locked in a horizontal line on each side.

If you guys could make something like this you stand a much much better chance of something more complex.

Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty serious thought problems involved in that idea I gave you to work in gmod, but it is simple enough that it should be achievable.

If you guys have a similarly simple idea on what to do go ahead and try it instead of mine, it is just an example.
Absolutely incorrect unless you mean gamemode. I've made several successful games in several languages, just none on Gmod. So I have a good enough understanding of how programming simple games works and can definitely apply that to whatever I contribute. That is all a good idea though. My plan right now because personally I want to work on gamemode creation whether other are going to or not is to start with making something that could be contributed to a minigame gamemode. So a simple game, maybe even one like pong could be implemented. And tbh if other people jumped in with some effort a minigame gamemode would be cool to do because then people can simply create the seperate games for it.