Author Topic: Pledge  (Read 193 times)

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
Pledge
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
A few days ago, some guy who claims himself as a supreme atheist decides to sit down during the Pledge of Allegance. Some people stare at him and he gets in a heavy argument with the teacher that since the Pledge includes "God", he has the right not to pledge since he has different religious views. A couple of days later the whole class , excluding myself and two others, sit and talk during the pledge. I don't know if the pledge is part of federal conduct in US schools so asdf. Our school does it every morning but I'm not sure how it is in others.

Do any of you guys have a pledge or anthem you must recite? Is my class atheist a smug bastard?

Discuss.
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
Re: Pledge
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »
+2
It's a nationwide thing. Everyone has to do it, although I've only seen it done in elementary and middle schools.

Basically, you have the right to refuse it if it's for a religious reason.

Also, related

Pledge of Allegiance - The Whitest Kids U'Know on IFC

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
+3
As an atheist; Yes.

He's right.

But he could just as well shut up and not say it instead of causing a problem.
He's the kind of guy who wants to be noticed for his alternative view.

When I was in school, I said God. Didn't bother me. But if it did, it would become One nation, <pause>, Indivisible.

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
  • Respect: +1837
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
I agree with Deacon, he could have just sat down and not made a comment, there are kids in my school who don't say the anthem and there are no problems.

I personally stand and say the pledge (and I do believe in God, so) because even if I don't agree with every decision my country has made/or makes now, I love it because it is my country the place where I was born and raised. And I would still be proud to call myself an American, because I don't just look at the things now, but I think of the things in the past that once made our country great. I would probably be the same if I lived in any other country, that's just me though.
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
I'm in High School and they still make us do it.  I'm an agnostic and I have no problem saying God in the anthem.

The little asshole in your classroom just wanted a reason to speak his alternative view. Just like what Deacon said.

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
I really hate people like those who claim themselves as an "atheist" just for the sole purpose of arguing. Ugh, it's not really the right time to make stupid arguments about a 10 second repeat-after-me speech.

Here, we have to stand but the teacher doesn't really care if you wanna say the pledge or not, and I really don't care if the word god is in it, or on the dollar bill, or any other shit. It's just tradition.

Also what Deacon said about wanted attention for his alternative view.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
In our school, no one really says the words except teachers and the announcement but we still stand up and hands over hearts. For me, I'm not too big on American patriotism.

Offline pyrosheep

• the future is unwritten!
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
I'm an Atheist but I just stand, put my hand over my heart, and I just simply don't say it.
I stand up out of respect for people that fight/fought for our country.
Quote from: Death M.D.
atleast in real life i have abs and i fuck any girl i see at a bar , youre all fucking gaming losers.

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
I too agree with what deacon said. Also I haven't done it since elementary school 0_0  I didn't know people still did it past.

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
(Agnostic ftw)

I'm an Atheist but I just stand, put my hand over my heart, and I just simply don't say it.
I stand up out of respect for people that fight/fought for our country.

When I turned Atheist I did the same shit. Would just mumble/open and close mouth/not say it.

A few days ago, some guy who claims himself as a supreme atheist decides to sit down during the Pledge of Allegance. Some people stare at him and he gets in a heavy argument with the teacher that since the Pledge includes "God", he has the right not to pledge since he has different religious views. A couple of days later the whole class , excluding myself and two others, sit and talk during the pledge. I don't know if the pledge is part of federal conduct in US schools so asdf. Our school does it every morning but I'm not sure how it is in others.

Do any of you guys have a pledge or anthem you must recite? Is my class atheist a smug bastard?

Discuss.

Your post is somewhat vague, did he start the argument or what the teacher getting on his case?

You could mark him down for not listening to the teacher, then again its against his beliefs so he really shouldn't have to do it.(Though I imagine he's probably juat being edgy.)

I really hate people like those who claim themselves as an "atheist" just for the sole purpose of arguing. Ugh, it's not really the right time to make stupid arguments about a 10 second repeat-after-me speech.

Here, we have to stand but the teacher doesn't really care if you wanna say the pledge or not, and I really don't care if the word god is in it, or on the dollar bill, or any other shit. It's just tradition.

Also what Deacon said about wanted attention for his alternative view.

Too be fair, Christian/other types of religious people can be just as bad. You can say you are atheist or even just state you don't believe in god and they will often give you a whole lecture about your ruining your life/why you should believe.
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
+2
I fucking hate militant atheists.

Maybe instead of being a /r/atheism type assclown, he could insert a random word to replace god, like "One nation, under cheeseburgers" or something like that. At least then he doesn't come off as a hard ass that is unlikeable by most people.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
I fucking hate militant atheists.

Maybe instead of being a /r/atheism type assclown, he could insert a random word to replace god, like "One nation, under cheeseburgers" or something like that. At least then he doesn't come off as a hard ass that is unlikeable by most people.
/r/athiesm is a circlejerk eh?

"lol silly christians"
"quote from comedian"

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
/r/athiesm is a circlejerk eh?

"lol silly christians"
"quote from comedian"

Every community every made has it's own circlejerk.
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
I'm atheist... I guess, don't really follow any religion or like to deem myself a part of any group but I guess I'd be atheist if I had to... but I also don't do shit during the Pledge of Allegiance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »
I'm atheist... I guess, don't really follow any religion or like to deem myself a part of any group but I guess I'd be atheist if I had to... but I also don't do shit during the Pledge of Allegiance.
Ugh, I hate being labeled as an "atheist". Like, I only associate that term if you're strictly and strongly against the belief of any god. Basically what society automatically labels people as.

Other wise, I just go as non-affiliated/don't really care.