Author Topic: Getting back to the karma system  (Read 355 times)

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
Getting back to the karma system
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
Instead of implementing a stupid suggestion of -300 karma erryround, why not go with gamefreak's idea?

I think karma should reset every 1-2 days, or maybe even at random intervals.

RDM rounding wouldn't be an issue with that.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
Re: Getting back to the karma system
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
coolz has basically said that the suggestions made don't seem very good to him. So I don't think there's any point to further discussion the same suggestions. Also keep in mind that something's going to be done it's really got to be a more or less a unanimous vote otherwise it's not really worth the time to just be constantly changing everything messing with code and settings or whatnot.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
+1
I stand by what I said earlier.. I am considering lessening the karma hit.

Resetting the karma system X amount of days would result in similar end round behavior before the reset... people would start to care less around the time of reset. Also, the people who earned their 1000 karma or so would lose it by no fault of their own.

Making it random might solve the end round behavior but the earned karma is still lost... maybe even right when you just got it to 1000 or so.
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

IMO, you should do that for sure... MAYBE tweak the gain too.

I came up with an idea that would, in theory, give karma to those who killed RDMers without breaking the system, including making how much you gain or lose based on the kiled person's rdming, and damaging teammates, etc - if I can flush it out, and test it on a small TTT server I'll be starting for testing ideas, maybe it would e worth considering.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:57:02 PM by Travelsonic »
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline memo3300

• Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• the measure of a man is what he does with power
  • Respect: +251
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
i got an idea, i don't know if it can be made but what the hell.

Pretty much, add to the current system this:

If you kill one patner on one round, you will get +1 on your "roundsyouhavetobegoodmeter"

but if you kill 2 on that round, you will get (+1) + (+2) = 3 on your "..meter"

The normal number will be 0, and when if you got more than 0, lets say you killed 3 guys on one round and you got 6 on you r "..meter", you wouldn't gain karma again or your karma gain will be reduced for the next 6 rounds.

But, if you kill one enemy, you rest one to that number.

S[hes] Br[ok]en

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
+1

Resetting the karma system X amount of days would result in similar end round behavior before the reset... people would start to care less around the time of reset. Also, the people who earned their 1000 karma or so would lose it by no fault of their own.

Making it random might solve the end round behavior but the earned karma is still lost... maybe even right when you just got it to 1000 or so.

The entire point of my idea is to not actually tell people when their karma will reset. When karma resets at a fixed interval, such as before a map change, people love to take the opportunity to RDM.

When karma resets at a random or very long interval, people either don't know they have the opportunity to RDM or that opportunity comes around too seldom to be an issue.

If I had to implement it myself, I would say have karma reset at a random time once a week. If we were to set the default karma to 1000, that might offset the severity of the loss -- Just one mistaken kill or RDM won't render you useless, but any more than that is about the same kind of penalty.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:39:11 AM »
If we were to set the default karma to 1000, that might offset the severity of the loss -- Just one mistaken kill or RDM won't render you useless, but any more than that is about the same kind of penalty.

Another thing that could be done is raise the karma limit.

Give good players some leeway to make mistakes.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Roach :3

• Windows UserLinux UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Kids on drugs are really fun
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »
+1
After suddenly all of the noobs came in, I love our karma system, at least you can't abuse it on the server.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »
+1
After suddenly all of the noobs came in, I love our karma system, at least you can't abuse it on the server.

T-baiting

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
... at least you can't abuse it on the server.

Baiting people, and trying to RDM while you have hih karma in hopes of getting people to kill yo.

That plus maps where you can trick people into using things like Traitor testers, and other map traps thinking the person you're springing them on is a T.
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
Why can't we just loose less karma if the person we kill leaves 20 seconds afterwards?

I'd also love it if we'd loose less karma if the Innocent we kill has killed an Innocent (and/or the Detective), but no Traitors.

Perma-karma is fine but the penalties for messing up are more than any other server I've been on.

There has also been a MASSIVE surge of newbies and trolls becasue of the popularity TTT has been getting on youtube. I've seen so many people get the achievement for their first time playing on a server that it's ticking me off.

This leads me back to why being a Traitor on this server is so easy (if you don't get RDMed), people are too afraid to have to grind for their karma all over again.

And the server being full recently? Most of the time I don't recognise more than a single person in the server. Normaly I would occasionaly be able to join but now I find the srever almost always full becasue of the new players.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:18:30 PM by Eion Kilant 739 »
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
+1
>still arguing about the karma system after Coolz said he'll make the loss less severe

Miami's Finest

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
>still arguing about the karma system after Coolz said he'll make the loss less severe

He did? Where?

EDIT: Aw hell yes!
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »
This is a post I just made a while ago on the forums for the TTT gamemode, an idea that I think could work nicely.

Having played TTT for little over a year and a half now, by far the biggest issue I see is with RDMers - especially now that it seems a stream of Youtube videos has caused a surge in new TTT players invading servers, RDMing like crazy.

Dealing with RDMers, you quickly find people's karma can get completely screwed - and not all servers have a means to reset karma by an admin or whatnot - on top of low per-round gains.  Badking had some interesting experiences on the server I play on, Pidda.org's server, so far as RDMers go.

This is my suggestion:

For the player: Add two variables: one that stores the number of people you killed who were on your team [whether you're inno and killed innos/detectives, or Traitor and killed your buddy], and one for the amount of damage you inflicted among teamates overall [1 point incremenets this by 1, 10 points increments this by 10, etc]. All of this is easy to do using existing functions relating to damage and kills, specific to where the damage or kill is checked to see if it is valid [I.E not teammates].

Add accessor functions to retrieve said values.

When somebody kills another player, make it so it grabs these values from the ply being killed, and give the killer karma equal to

([# of teamkills the dead person made] * [amount of karma to give]) + [dead person's damage to teammates]

Obviously this is a preliminary outline of the idea, I am trying to establish a small TTT server [8 at most] to testbed ideas I have for this game mode, so it will get tested there.  I think that, with some tweaks this could alleviate the need to outright reset karma, and help make it so taking risks, killing RDMers, etc wouldn't be so damming WITHOUT having to make the karma system do absurd things.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:31:34 AM by Travelsonic »

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
I think the main priorities should be lessening the penalty for killing RDMers and eliminating the possibility of baiting.