Author Topic: Tapatalk Support  (Read 146 times)

Offline Infinimint

• Respect: +68
    • United Development
Tapatalk Support
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
+1
Hey, I'm pretty sure this is the correct forum to post this, but I was wondering if you could add Tapatalk support to the forums. I'm always using that app and I think other people may benefit from it as well. It's an easy way to bring the RND forums to mobile platforms without ugly mobiles themes. I'm just sayin' :)

It's super easy to add since it's just an SMF plugin, here's the download page:
http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf

Thanks.

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
Re: Tapatalk Support
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
We have WAP2 encoding which is as barebones and minimalistic as is needed for mobile platforms.

It can be accessed at the bottom of every page.

That being said, its up to coolz whether or not he wants this app-based support.

Offline Infinimint

• United Development
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
Mobile websites are fine for feature phones and what not, but whenever you're on a smart phone, they're a little useless :\

In this case, this plugin allows you to view the forum within an app with an extremely clean, easy to use, intuitive UI. It can also be setup to notify you of new updated in your favorite threads/forums, new messages, etc.

It's kinda like the Gmail app on Android and iPhone. Sure Gmail has a mobile site, but nobody wants to use it. Instead, they use the Gmail app because it is 1000x better. The same thing applies here.

It's compatible with Android, iOS (iPhone & iPad), Blackberry, and Chrome.
Play Store: http://goo.gl/58MX8
App Store: http://goo.gl/6lDxb

It's incredibly simple to install and setup, it's used by thousands  of the biggest forums, and most importantly, it's free. It's almost essential for any forum.

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »
-snip-

It's incredibly simple to install and setup, it's used by thousands  of the biggest forums, and most importantly, it's free. It's almost essential for any forum.
I'm sorry, you sound like someone trying to sell me something. It's just that "it's used by thousands of the biggest forums" is not only a silly claim but I get the feeling that you are embellishing the truth to try and get your way.

EDIT: I reworded your post to remove things that "say nothing".

Hey, I'm pretty sure this is the correct forum to post this, but I was wondering if you could add Tapatalk support to the forums. I'm always using that app and I think other people may benefit from it as well. It's an easy way to bring these forums to mobile platforms without the usual mobile-version themes. :)

It's easy to add since it's an SMF plugin, here is the download page:
[url][\url]

Thanks.

Mobile sites are ok for "feature" phones but are useless with smart phones :\

The plugin lets you to view the forum within an app with a simple, easy to use UI. It can also be setup to notify you of new updates in your favorite threads/forums, new messages, etc.

People prefer the Gmail app over the mobile page. I think the same applies to this forum.

It's compatible with Android, iOS (iPhone & iPad), Blackberry, and Chrome.
Play Store: [url][\url]
App Store: [url][\url]

It is simple to set up and it's free.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:14:10 PM by Eion Kilant 739 »
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Foofoojack

• Ộ_Ộ
  • Respect: +546
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
Eion, you're not at all understanding what he is offering.

1. You believe that very few people use mobile versions of sites because they are designed differently.
2. You think that an app designed from the ground up to be "simple" would be better.
3. This app is effectively the mobile version of the site, only an app.

1. No, he's saying that browsing a forum on Safari or Browser from a smartphone is much harder, and much messier, because it is not specifically formatted for a mobile device.
2. This app is not built from "the ground up", it is built to make forum browsing far easier - as he said with the example of the Gmail app.
3. Thank you for restating the obvious.

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
So what I've gathered from your post is this:

1. You believe that very few people use mobile versions of sites because they are designed differently.
2. You think that an app designed from the ground up to be "simple" would be better.
3. This app is effectively the mobile version of the site, only an app.
 You sound like someone trying to sell me something. I'm sorry, but "it's used by thousands of the biggest forums" is not only a silly claim but I get the feeling that you are embellishing the truth to try and get your way.

EDIT: I reworded your post to remove things that "say nothing".

Dude what?

dont even make me start, im glad FooFoo Posted before i said anything

1. No, he's saying that browsing a forum on Safari or Browser from a smartphone is much harder, and much messier, because it is not specifically formatted for a mobile device.
2. This app is not built from "the ground up", it is built to make forum browsing far easier - as he said with the example of the Gmail app.
3. Thank you for restating the obvious.

Also i agree with Infinimint i ALWAYS browse the forums on my iPhone but it comes out messy and sometimes the avatars are all glitchy or things are out of place, this would be a really nice feature to add to the forums

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline Eion Kilant 739

• -blam!-
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

I am confused here. He is saying that the mobile versions of sites are "kinda useless" on smartphones. Mobile versions of sites are designed for use by mobiles, or phones.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:15:16 PM by Eion Kilant 739 »
I have avatars and signatures disabled. There is no reason to judge people here by anything other than what they post.

Offline Infinimint

• United Development
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:31:14 AM »
Yes and while that may be true, they are not nearly as good as a native app. Formatting looks awful and isn't always compatible with all browsers. While I may seem enthusiastic about the app, I am not selling it as there is nothing to sell. Mobile websites are there as a fallback in case you do not have a native app, in this case, a native app is available and should be utilized to grasp the full potential of the forum.