Author Topic: Texture artist WANTED - for a map I'm designing.  (Read 148 times)

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
Texture artist WANTED - for a map I'm designing.
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
I'm making a map, and need texture artist(s) to help me since that is the one field I currently suck balls at.

What I need:

Textures of the various interior areas of the Titanic.

Specifically, the Grand Staircase area - from chrub fixtures, to light fixtures, floor tiles, railing, the elevator grates, clock [Honor and Glory crowning time], the dome, etc.

Reference photos a plenty here:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=664&gbv=2&oq=titanic+grand+stairase+&aq=f&aqi=&gs_l=img.12...1380.6037.0.8510.33.12.3.18.11.1.143.764.11j1.12.0...0.0.ixQEgjLipVk&q=titanic%20grand%20stairase&orq=titanic+grand+stairase+

Tmeframe: Well, IF the texture work can be done before September 9th or so when I go back to college for another year of fun /sarcasm, I'd like to get a beta out not too long after that, but if it has to be delayed, I don't mind at all.

Full credit will always be given in the map credits.

I'll post more about the map later on, as I don't think what I have now is good enough to announce my map's development.

Why can't I just do it: Suck at texture making, balancing actual job instead of summer classes.  'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:00:08 PM by Travelsonic »
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Mehis

• lolbai
  • Respect: +88
Re: Texture artist WANTED - for a map I'm designing.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:40 AM »
Doing them by yourself is far more easy. You can actually measure the textures the way you want them to be and it's much more faster. Learning to texture is quite easy. Make the textures as 1024x1024 or more, resize them down to 512x512, save as .png and do the magic. Gimp is good enough for this.
Photoshop is good if you're willing to buy it or you could find it from somewhere else...

Hate to be an asshole but nobody will most likely help you. DIY, it's not super hard.

Offline The Ghost Of Anony Mouse

• hye
  • bi
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »
Doing them by yourself is far more easy. You can actually measure the textures the way you want them to be and it's much more faster. Learning to texture is quite easy. Make the textures as 1024x1024 or more, resize them down to 512x512, save as .png and do the magic. Gimp is good enough for this.
Photoshop is good if you're willing to buy it or you could find it from somewhere else...

Hate to be an asshole but nobody will most likely help you. DIY, it's not super hard.

doing them yourself with a tablet?

Offline Mehis

• lolbai
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:13 AM »
doing them yourself with a tablet?

Umm... what? I do create textures for my maps but I don't use a tablet. If you are asking SHOULD you use a tablet my answer is what you prefer. I like to play around with Photoshop filters a lot so I don't need to draw much.
You don't really draw anything. You just do lines, apply some colors to it and fiddle around with filters to make it look nice. Then add normal map which will make it look a lot better. CrazyBump is the best for that job. NVIDIA tools are bad...

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Doing them by yourself is far more easy. You can actually measure the textures the way you want them to be and it's much more faster. Learning to texture is quite easy. Make the textures as 1024x1024 or more, resize them down to 512x512, save as .png and do the magic.

Thing is every image I want to use for reference is at some angle making it hard to actually get the proportions dead on, which matters since the Titanic is full of intricate wood carvings, panelings, the area I'm turning into a map is no exception.
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Mehis

• lolbai
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:08:18 AM »
Thing is every image I want to use for reference is at some angle making it hard to actually get the proportions dead on, which matters since the Titanic is full of intricate wood carvings, panelings, the area I'm turning into a map is no exception.

Then maybe you should pick a map which you could actually finish. Making a good looking ship map is quite hard.

Offline Travelsonic

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
Then maybe you should pick a map which you could actually finish. Making a good looking ship map is quite hard.

Or maybe you shouldn't be a prick about somebody trying to get help - which if that isn't your intent, I apologize ahead of time for snapping at you - projects like this aren't always 1-person jobs, nor is it unreasonable for somebody who wants to make a map - but knows he needs help to *duh* get help.  Even if I can do the texture work, I simply don't have the time to take on EVERY piece of making a map, I'm working a most-time job during the summer, limiting my free time as it is - and that's without factoring in a girlfriend I'm trying to spend time with consistently, and having a social life - as well as learning essentials like learning how to drive, and tons of other things.

Plus, some people are just better at the putting together of a map, not the texturing [and vice versa], no reason to abandon making a map all together.

Offline Mehis

• lolbai
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Ok, I hope you will find what you need but you aren't most likely going to find it here. If you are really trying to find a partner, I would recommend you try at http://www.interlopers.net/ . I still wouldn't go on and ask people's help since you have nothing to show off of your skills that you are worth the trouble. At least what you have shown here... Nobody is going to make custom textures so you could abandon your project.

About what I said about that you being able to finish it; I assume that you are recreating Titanic, ok. And I also assume that you are fairly new to mapping. That is a hard project on one person, I agree. Have you thought about models? Are you going to create whole ship with brushes? Aren't those railings pretty hard to create with hammer? Are you going to stick to this project whatever happens?
I will still stick to my opinion and tell you to pick an easier project to work on. I know I have had a lot of these ideas but in the end it would fall down to the simple fact that I don't have the resources or the skill to do it. And sometimes I might try it and learn something new or maybe actually succeed at it. But for this kind of project it's way too out.