Author Topic: KONY 2012, This should be seen, by everyone  (Read 909 times)

Offline Roach :3

• Windows UserLinux UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Kids on drugs are really fun
  • Respect: +68
KONY 2012, This should be seen, by everyone
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:57:49 AM »
+3
KONY 2012

Yes, It was posted in the video section, but I think it should be posted here to everyone else that didn't watch it.

From the description: KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice.

Share it to everyone else, the world needs to see it.

Offline Astropilot

• Infinitus Tabula Rasa
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• A little bit morass
  • Respect: +1207
Re: KONY 2012, This should be seen, by everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Lets save the world

Inspirational quotes don't do jack until you do something yourself

Offline Shockah

• Cat LoverLeague PlayerApple User
    View More Badges!

• Sabb's champion-pool is too large.
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
*Resists the urge to make this page a political discussion

Offline This Toast

• Windows UserApple UserDog LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Not yo ordinary breakfast. Prepare for deagl'in
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
MY NAME IS THIS TOAST. I KICK ASS.

Thanks Cryptokid!

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Saw all the hype with slogans like "make kony famous", or "Kony 2012", and did everything to ignore who I thought was some idiot buying his way to fame....glad I saw toast's post

Offline Astropilot

• Infinitus Tabula Rasa
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• A little bit morass
  • Respect: +1207
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:48 PM »
We also got a new meme

So let's stop this guy and put a shit ton of posters on our school. That is what I shall do.

Inspirational quotes don't do jack until you do something yourself

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
Well.
Shit.

Dat propaganda.

Let's get this fucker.

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
I am sure he shall fall just like all tyrants are destined to.

Thank you Marie for the sprite.

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
  • Respect: +1837
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
+2
My mother actually donated to this cause on hers and I's behalf. I think this is a very important situation and even if it doesn't effect America really in any way, it effects people. By helping these children we're showing what little humanity the world still has. That it's not just about the money. I remember hearing about the invisible children a long time ago, and it's a tad disheartening to know that I didn't care as much then mainly because I didn't really know what the group was about, but that doesn't mean I don't care now; being informed changes things a whole lot. The world needs to be rid of heartless creatures like that man, and it is sad and pitiful that he is really just getting known more now.
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
+12
Oh please. I just can't not rant about this.

First of all, he was active 9 fucking years ago - there were US soldiers situated in Uganda at that time and the project to kill him was funded a lot, what makes you think that he's suddenly going to get caught?
It isn't even known for sure if he's still alive. And if he was, he wouldn't be dumb enough to just get his ass busted easily, after all he managed to make thousands of people follow him.

Then, his "organisation", the LRA, hasn't done ANY kind of movement to show that it's still active since early 2009, which was mainly a response to the military trying to kill them ... Although that response was quite bloody and unneeded.
In fact, there has even been a peace treaty. Which was not broken by the LRA, but by Uganda.

Now, to this "charity", the Invisible Children ... How do you think are they planning to stop Kony? By throwing money at him until he surrenders?
No, they in fact support the Ugandan military. A military that is only active in a country where the searched person isn't even staying in most likely. And a military that has no rights to enter other countries. Oh, and that army that is responsible for just about a few million deaths in a bunch of petty wars.
Apart from what they support ... Just look at how much money they earn compared to how much money they pass on. It's not pretty and it's not even 50% of their total income.

Then, more importantly than everything else, this "charity" also wants heavy US military influence in Uganda. In some far away country. Against an idle rebel group. Because of some guy who doesn't even live there anymore. The US (and the EU) already has several wars going on and both of them are completely out of money, I thought people would be smarter than that by now to still support this shit.

And at the end of the day, what's going to change if you tell all your friends about it?
The US government knows about this person. They know what his actions were. They know he should be dead.
Most of the public (should) know too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lastly, killing Kony would most likely just spark another war and do nothing in the end. There has always been at least some guy that replaces the big one. Most recent example would be Osama Bin Laden - although he's dead now, al-Qaida still is the exact same.

I'm sorry. Sometimes I lose control when I see shit like this everywhere. Rant end.

Offline aerobro

• Respect: +120
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »
+1
I completely agree with what Don brings up. The organization is using first world peoples grief so that they will send in donations. Only 30% of those donations go to building schools and helping in Africa. The rest going in their pockets.

I like that they are bringing up a major problem, but the way that are doing it makes me sick.

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 07:32:22 PM »
kind of like donating for cancer awareness....and mostly just awareness. (livestrong)
http://blog.livestrong.org/2011/05/02/where-the-money-goes/

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »
+1
The point of this whole thing is to spread public awareness, obviously. The donations aren't the entire cause, but the public's awareness of the situation can make a huge impact... Sure, the government may know about the situation in Africa, and who's doing what, but no action is ever taken in any government unless the government has the support of the people. If people show interest in somehow helping in Africa, in a very large scale, then things WILL be done. So, their cause is still completely legitimate. And for what Don's saying about the LRA probably still not even being active and shit, obviously, there's a lot of trouble in Africa and the LRA isn't the only problem. I don't live in Africa. I don't truthfully know what happens there. Truthfully, you don't either. But the main point of what I'm saying is that there are obviously still BIG issues in Africa where help should probably be given in some form. But if the LRA wasn't any longer active, A) the government would obviously know that, and no action would be needed there, but B) there are still plenty of other issues to be dealt with, of similar circumstances.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline semy32

• Respect: +72
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
Pretty much what don said.

This is overreacted.He could be easily stopped. A lot of groups like "invisible people" claim that they are a non-profit group who gives the money for charity, NO.I'm sure he got a few thousands of dollars for that.

There aren't many of these groups which are real.

(Also I'm pretty sure that, this is just some made up story.This "KONY" probably doesn't exist.However I haven't done any research on him so I don't know.)

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »
+1
Pretty much what don said.

This is overreacted.He could be easily stopped. A lot of groups like "invisible people" claim that they are a non-profit group who gives the money for charity, NO.I'm sure he got a few thousands of dollars for that.

There aren't many of these groups which are real.

(Also I'm pretty sure that, this is just some made up story.This "KONY" probably doesn't exist.However I haven't done any research on him so I don't know.)
Lol, if Joseph Kony didn't exist in the first place, there would be TONS of controversy over this propaganda, and it wouldn't be as popular as it is. And no, it's not easy to stop someone like this? That's like saying it was extremely easy to stop Bin Laden, who obviously, directly impacted the US, so he had the FULL attention of US and the citizens, yet it still took a decent amount of time to get him.

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun