Author Topic: School grades Topic  (Read 317 times)

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +9999
  • Respect: +805
    • Random Gaming
Re: School grades Topic
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »

Offline jimonions

• the text below is true
  • Old Forum MemberWindows User
    View More Badges!

• the text above is not true
  • Respect: +589
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
Yeah Jim, I'd rather be learning about finances, taxes, property laws, how to build a good resume, etc.
Instead of learning about some guy in the 1790s that was crucial to the French Revolution, or learning some formula specific to something I will never use and will forget after the test.

Well, that's not quite what I meant. Filler is not at all a detriment to teaching, when you learn these things it can possibly affect you positively by helping you base your opinions and thoughts upon these things to formulate a well-thought out conclusion. Basically making you think. The brunt of my argument was how teachers don't always capitalize on that.

Thanks to learning about the French revolution I can now understand many references to that particular time and prevent myself from looking completely worthless and uneducated in well-known historic events. This time also marks in history when peasants rose up to run out the aristocrats and form a government based upon the welfare of the people. Of course things got quite out of hand when they started to plot against each other and execute many of their own for being "friends of the king". This is also the first time guillotine rights were given to the lower class, a fast death only reserved for the high at the time. I'm not very good at remembering names but if mentioned I can recall who they are.

(JBanned) .:RND`=- DJ myppl8: if i eva become supa admin id ban moo and make hima guest

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:59 AM »
Well, that's not quite what I meant. Filler is not at all a detriment to teaching, when you learn these things it can possibly affect you positively by helping you base your opinions and thoughts upon these things to formulate a well-thought out conclusion. Basically making you think. The brunt of my argument was how teachers don't always capitalize on that.

Thanks to learning about the French revolution I can now understand many references to that particular time and prevent myself from looking completely worthless and uneducated in well-known historic events. This time also marks in history when peasants rose up to run out the aristocrats and form a government based upon the welfare of the people. Of course things got quite out of hand when they started to plot against each other and execute many of their own for being "friends of the king". This is also the first time guillotine rights were given to the lower class, a fast death only reserved for the high at the time. I'm not very good at remembering names but if mentioned I can recall who they are.

Going off of what you're saying, Math is a great example of this. Some students don't get why we're learning the quadratic formula, or even the imaginary number, because they don't see how they can use it in real life situations. The way my teacher explained it to us was that learning those formula's helped our logic and thinking skills. It's like learning how to juggle. You probably won't use that skill to get you a job, but learning it helps increase brain size, which helps in the long run.

Offline semy32

• Respect: +72
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:42 AM »
I was an A student nearly from everything, except from the easiest ones:
Geography: 3-4 (C-B)
Art: 3 (C) (I somehow still managed to get an A at the end of every year.) (I can't draw)
Music: 4 (B)
I remember when I first got my first 3 (C) in class 6 from History. My parents were really angry at me back then.

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 06:26:49 PM »
I gave a poor example seeing as how the french revolution does model basically EVERY revolution, Arab spring uprisings, etc.
I couldn't think of anything specific (if that proves my point in itself lol?), but the real idea here is that much if not most of the content taught in school is not relevant, or is not made clear as to how it is relevant.
I would rather learn practical things to get me ready for the real world, things I want to learn.  When people want to learn something, it changes everything....

Back to the French Rev....
Yeah it's funny how Robespierre went crazy with that "Rain of Terror" lol and cut off like 50,000 people's heads for trivial things....
He was actually initially against the death penalty at first....the irony lol......especially his death :s

Offline Astropilot

• Infinitus Tabula Rasa
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• A little bit morass
  • Respect: +1207
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:48 PM »
The grades in math and science are murdering me. On the bright side i'm doing great on the other subjects.

Inspirational quotes don't do jack until you do something yourself

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Math: B
English: A
History: A
Science: C (teacher is a old lady that mis places work occasionally, and I'm too lazy to redo them, even though i copied the answers of the guy next to me)
Principles of Engineering: D (teacher is strict as fuck)
Art: B
Computer Apps: B (teacher can't hear/see worth shit, so I do nothing and still pass with B+)
Spanish: C

I learned that taking easier classes is the best way to go if you don't like to do school work like me. I barely do homework at home because I do it all at school.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline Doctor Who

• Slippery midget
  • Starcraft 2
  • Respect: +170
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »
Math: B
English: A
History: A
Science: C (teacher is a old lady that mis places work occasionally, and I'm too lazy to redo them, even though i copied the answers of the guy next to me)
Principles of Engineering: D (teacher is strict as fuck)
Art: B
Computer Apps: B (teacher can't hear/see worth shit, so I do nothing and still pass with B+)
Spanish: C

I learned that taking easier classes is the best way to go if you don't like to do school work like me. I barely do homework at home because I do it all at school.
I do the same thing as you and I have the same classes except spanish and art

Thanks Crypto for this banner <3

I WAS TELEPORTING EVERYWHERE
TOTALL BS
i was at 2.5k ping
gggg
LOL -Alex

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »
Got my first Science Exams back for my GCSE!

>looks at sheet
>Biology 78% B
>Chemistry 88% A
>Physics 74% B

>realises i was 2% away from reaching an A in biology and 2% away from an A* in Chemistry