Author Topic: School grades Topic  (Read 318 times)

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
School grades Topic
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:43:22 AM »
Well since i just finished my first Important Science Exams a few weeks ago and getting back my grades next week, i Would love to discuss about other peoples grades and success's in school.
Like parents expectations. My parents would murder if i got below a A or A*. Anyone elses parents like this?

Offline jimonions

• the text below is true
  • Old Forum MemberWindows User
    View More Badges!

• the text above is not true
  • Respect: +589
Re: School grades Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
+8
It is a very ineffective mind set to be thinking that your child is a genius boy wonder of a generation commonly associated to overly arrogant and greedy behaviours. Im sure most people can relate but back in elementary everything was fun and games with As all around but the work does get harder, it is almost impossible to continue getting straight A's.
I think my parents finally understood that concept once me and my brother were well into middle and high school.

Like most people I have my strengths and weaknesses, it is easier to tell your parents what these are rather than waste time and effort explaining how your got your grade.

On a side note I feel the education system, what we learn and how is in a sense shit.
I hate going to school everyday not because I don't want to learn but because that subjects and what we learn are sometimes very stale and serve no other purpose other than the sake of "teaching".
We are lumped together in the same age base of around  years difference and forced to all study the same thing at a set pace. Its like a factory line. What time we can spend learning something we may find of use is sometimes wasted learning other topics. This only applies to a small number of things I am learning at the moment a lot of other things are just what I would call filler. We learn it to have a broad understanding but may never use that knowledge again unless prompted to later.
About the way we are graded and such is also something that bothers me a lot. What teachers expect and what can make out from the topic are often times far apart. I mostly feel very inquisitive about what we learn and try to analyze it through my own head to make sense of it. However the teacher just wants to see only what he/she wants (specific key words/phrases, concepts taught in class, etc). I am forced to answer it in a way that I do not entirely agree with just because its the way everyone else was taught. I want to have my own opinion of the matter and state what little personal insight I may have, which turns into dribbly drool through the eyes of a teacher

Dont get me completely wrong here there are some good things I like about school and that have helped me numerous times, I have just wrote about what I felt was wrong.

tl;dr Bad grades are common, school is like a factory, teaching is flawed in a way.

(JBanned) .:RND`=- DJ myppl8: if i eva become supa admin id ban moo and make hima guest

Offline aerobro

• Respect: +120
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
I agree with Jim on this. My parents are fine with my grades as long as I don't fail. I have A's and B's but a C in biology :( . Still they don't murder me for it.

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »
The rule with my parents was "always try your best." And generally speaking, kids are raised under this vague expectation  do kind of shit. But, if I dont get an 88 percent average or more, it's not my parents who get pissed, it's often me who goes,

"Fuck, I failed."

Offline Juan_Ambriz

• Guys is it wrong that....
  • POENIS
  • Respect: +338
    • My Youtube. Mostly tech help SUB!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
"get all A's and your no grounded" well sad thing is, the second semesters first prg report is Coming this Saturday,
And I got a B+ in science. Hate my science teacher so much, he explains shit extremely bad and expects us to learn, he only has 1, ONE A, in out class even top students their have C's or D's....
And I would have gotten an A, because I got 20PTs extra credit, and that fucker didn't enter it, even bough I told him for 2 fucking weeks.. Lol so if I'm not on, on Sunday that means I'm grounded :(

THANKS CRYPTO BB

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
I used to be a B student until I got to high school. I'm now hovering over low Cs but promised myself to pick up my shit and do something for the rest of my time here.
Miami's Finest

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +9999
  • Respect: +805
    • Random Gaming
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
+1
http://forum.randomgs.com/index.php/topic,10156.0.html

http://forum.randomgs.com/index.php/topic,8863.0.html

Just saying it's not that hard to perform a search on the word "grades". I'll leave this unlocked though.

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
I've got my report card recently.

I don't feel like writing exactly what I got, but most of my notes were above the average. The only notes I had that were below the average we're Mathematics. But other then that I was happy with what I got.

I'm mostly an A- student on average, the thing is, ever since I got to High school either it's I get an A or a C on a test. I stopped getting normal B's lol.

Thank you Marie for the sprite.

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
In my school district, there's this website you go to check your grades on a daily basis and to see daily updates on said grades.

I have all A's but for math. I've always gotten terrible grades in math, I couldn't do the stuff to save my life. The thing is though my math teacher isn't very good at teaching. He clearly knows what he's talking about, but cannot explain it (not to mention the burdens other students have on the class...).

Not to mention mandatory proficiency testing. You can have straight A's and a whole bunch of rewards and shit through your high school career, but if you can't pass one test, you can't graduate. I have to do that stuff next week. If I don't pass one test this year, next year they're going to be bumping up the minimum passing standard. So really, this whole school district is flawed.

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »
+1
P.E: C
Math: D
Science: F

mostly because I don't put any effort into anything

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
Yeah Jim, I'd rather be learning about finances, taxes, property laws, how to build a good resume, etc.
Instead of learning about some guy in the 1790s that was crucial to the French Revolution, or learning some formula specific to something I will never use and will forget after the test.

Offline cogsandspigots

• Respect: +612
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Honors Biology: A
Honors English: B (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!)
Drafting: A
Symphonic Band: A
Honors Algebra 2: A
Honors Civics: A
Spanish 2: A

Offline Foofoojack

• Ộ_Ộ
  • Respect: +546
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
English = 100%
Life Sports (idk) = 100%
Chemistry = 87%
Modern US Hist = 96%
Spanish 3 = 100%
Adv. Algebra = 96%

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +9999
  • Respect: +805
    • Random Gaming
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
AP US History: A
AP Psychology: A
AP Human Geography: A
AP English Language/Literature: A
AP Environmental Science: B
AP Calculus BC: A
AP Spanish Language: B
Debate 4 Honors: A

Damn my environmental science class is hard as shit. At the beginning of the semester she said "THIS IS THE EASIEST AP YOU CAN TAKE" and there is literally no A's in the class. WHY MS. WATTERS, WHY?

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
AP US History: A
AP Psychology: A
AP Human Geography: A
AP English Language/Literature: A
AP Environmental Science: B
AP Calculus BC: A
AP Spanish Language: B
Debate 4 Honors: A

Damn my environmental science class is hard as shit. At the beginning of the semester she said "THIS IS THE EASIEST AP YOU CAN TAKE" and there is literally no A's in the class. WHY MS. WATTERS, WHY?