Author Topic: programming robots  (Read 117 times)

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
programming robots
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
So I'm talking with a few friends and somehow the topic of me learning C++ comes up. These guys are in robotics club and started saying how they needed a person to help program their robots in C++. This is great because it sets a goal for me, however, I have not the slightest clue how difficult this will be, and what else will I need other than the compiler?

Offline Сєşάя

• I used to be annoying
  • Respect: +72
Re: programming robots
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
C++ ? Yeh, you can. But is advisable program with Assembly also. (Machine)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Travelsonic

• We're gonna need a new obstacle course...
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
So I'm talking with a few friends and somehow the topic of me learning C++ comes up. These guys are in robotics club and started saying how they needed a person to help program their robots in C++. This is great because it sets a goal for me, however, I have not the slightest clue how difficult this will be, and what else will I need other than the compiler?

C++?

It could be done, but I'd prefer C and assembly for the lower level shit.
lim ( Δ :trollface: -> 0 ) (:trollface: + Δ :trollface:)² + :trollface: = :trollface:

Offline Сєşάя

• I used to be annoying
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
Code: [Select]
C++?

It could be done, but I'd prefer C and assembly for the lower level shit.

I know C..HA  :trollface:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »
This depends on a lot of things, mostly what do you want this robot to do? (ex. Drive forward a few feet, react to sensor inputs, drive autonomously, etc.)

If you intend on doing a fully autonomous system, well... Good luck, I am in the process of building a rocket guidance system, that has only 1 axis of control, and it already is extremely difficult.

If you just want it to do simple things, like stop when a sensor says something is there, or follow a line, or just follow a pre-programmed course this isn't so bad.
C++ is a great language, it can be used for almost anything, and many micro-controllers use it. You do not need to know assembly at all.
Even if you are building an embedded system from scratch you still don't really need to know assembly. C is very similar to C++ though C++ has a few syntax changes, and some extra features.

So give me a few more details and I should be able to give you a more accurate assessment of what it's going to take.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »
This depends on a lot of things, mostly what do you want this robot to do? (ex. Drive forward a few feet, react to sensor inputs, drive autonomously, etc.)

If you intend on doing a fully autonomous system, well... Good luck, I am in the process of building a rocket guidance system, that has only 1 axis of control, and it already is extremely difficult.

If you just want it to do simple things, like stop when a sensor says something is there, or follow a line, or just follow a pre-programmed course this isn't so bad.
C++ is a great language, it can be used for almost anything, and many micro-controllers use it. You do not need to know assembly at all.
Even if you are building an embedded system from scratch you still don't really need to know assembly. C is very similar to C++ though C++ has a few syntax changes, and some extra features.

So give me a few more details and I should be able to give you a more accurate assessment of what it's going to take.

I'll have to ask again. This was never a formal thing, just an idea. I'm really wanting to learn C++, but I'm lacking the motivation to teach myself, so I figured that this would be perfect to work on.
I'll see what they need the robots to do tomorrow. They basically said just to play certain games. One example they gave was a game sort of like basketball.