Author Topic: New PC keeps restarting itself  (Read 194 times)

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
  • Respect: +17
New PC keeps restarting itself
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
I built this new computer just recently, and once a month it decides to go and crap itself. Every month, it'll have this period where it turns itself off, then it restarts itself, but then it turns off again, then restarts again, over and over. I have to flick the switch on the back of my power supply to get it to stop restarting. Whenever this happens I just wait about half an hour and everything's back to normal.

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
Re: New PC keeps restarting itself
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Hard to tell it could be a number of things you need to get the error code... (when it crashs grab the code number from the BSOD)

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
  • Linux UserWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
  • Respect: +331
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
Windows reset, bsod, or sudden loss of power?
Run a virus scan?
Check recent software changes
Check all power cables are properly connected?
Code: [Select]
for(;;) procrastinate = !procrastinate;Damn emoticons

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
Hard to tell it could be a number of things you need to get the error code... (when it crashs grab the code number from the BSOD)

It doesn't show a BSOD, it just turns off completely.

Windows reset, bsod, or sudden loss of power?
Run a virus scan?
Check recent software changes
Check all power cables are properly connected?

All the cables are properly connected, and I did a virus scan and got nothing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:15:11 AM by Snivy M.D. »

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
It doesn't show a BSOD, it just turns off completely.

If you're running windows XP thats why (thats the default, to just restart)
you have to change it by right clicking on “My Computer” and choosing “Properties”. Goto the “Advanced” Tab and under “Startup and Recovery” press the “Settings” button. Under the “System Failure” box there will be a checkbox saying “Automatically Restart”. Untick this box and click Ok.

next time it crashes the BSOD will pop up just write down the error code then google it to find out the problem.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:11:46 AM by Shawn »

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
If you're running windows XP thats why (thats the default, to just restart)
you have to change it by right clicking on “My Computer” and choosing “Properties”. Goto the “Advanced” Tab and under “Startup and Recovery” press the “Settings” button. Under the “System Failure” box there will be a checkbox saying “Automatically Restart”. Untick this box and click Ok.

next time it crashes the BSOD will pop up just write down the error code then google it to find out the problem.

Alright, thanks for the help :)

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
I had this problem because i had corrupted memory. I had to get my memory wiped along with all my shit.

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Hehe, my old comp would BSOD in STALKER cus it was too much for the cpu and gpu to handle

Offline MetaHaze

• One more block!
  • Respect: +16
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
This could be a number of problems, such as the GPU overheating, or the RAM being corrupted (just one stick being corrupted, will damage every single piece of RAM overtime), the processor could have ran out of Gel that it needs to cool off with, could have an undetectable boot virus, the PSU could have been shot/shocked or just have a short in it, or..the fan needs oiled. So as you can see, can be a huge number of problems that would cause this.  :ninja:

What I recommend:

Go in the Bios, check the CPU/GPU/PSU Temperature. I would suggest leaving the computer on for a while, then test.

When your computer is running, feel of the fan in the back of your PSU, or under it, or both. See if it is blowing "enough" air out.

Check for shorts in any of the wires that are connected, or inside of your computer.

Reset the CMOS, to do this, take out the battery on the motherboard, place it back in. Then start up your computer, and the CMOS will be reset.

Check every cord/wire, to see if they are properly placed into whatever slot they go into.

Try a new battery.

Take the Ram out of your computer, place the first stick into the first slot (FARTHEST TO THE LEFT, WHEN FACING THE MOTHERBOARD.) and keep placing the sticks side-by-side, to the right. If you have dual channel, make sure they are placed properly, usually dual channel memory is placed like this..Slot 1-Slot 3 Slot 2-Slot 4.

Since it is a new computer, tell me your specifications, I could get some information to help you from it.

A Trick:
This is just a trick I have done over the years with multiple computers when they have experienced a similar problem as this.  :pacman:

Step 1: Unhook every single wire/cord from the back of your computer, including the PSU cord from the power outlet it is in. (If you have an extension cord hooked into a power outlet, unhook it also.)

Step 1: Hook the Extension cord (if any) into a different slot on the outlet, do the same for the PSU Cord.

Step 1: Hook every wire you unhooked back up to the back of your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a few tricks, tips, and help I have had problems/experiences, and info with..Enjoy  8)

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
That happened to me like 2 PCs ago. It'd reboot when it reached  a certain temperature.

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Get that, run your PC as you did before it crashed, and remember the temps right before it crashed. If anything heats past 80, thats a notable thing (though 80 doesnt means its an issue)

Offline omgodzilla

• That ass is cash.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Get that, run your PC as you did before it crashed, and remember the temps right before it crashed. If anything heats past 80, thats a notable thing (though 80 doesnt means its an issue)

I use Speccy to monitor my temps. I don't have any overheating problems. Everything stays at 20-30C while idle, and when I game, my CPU can get up to 50C, and my video card usually gets to around 60C.

This could be a number of problems, such as the GPU overheating, or the RAM being corrupted (just one stick being corrupted, will damage every single piece of RAM overtime), the processor could have ran out of Gel that it needs to cool off with, could have an undetectable boot virus, the PSU could have been shot/shocked or just have a short in it, or..the fan needs oiled. So as you can see, can be a huge number of problems that would cause this.  :ninja:

What I recommend:

Go in the Bios, check the CPU/GPU/PSU Temperature. I would suggest leaving the computer on for a while, then test.

When your computer is running, feel of the fan in the back of your PSU, or under it, or both. See if it is blowing "enough" air out.

Check for shorts in any of the wires that are connected, or inside of your computer.

Reset the CMOS, to do this, take out the battery on the motherboard, place it back in. Then start up your computer, and the CMOS will be reset.

Check every cord/wire, to see if they are properly placed into whatever slot they go into.

Try a new battery.

Take the Ram out of your computer, place the first stick into the first slot (FARTHEST TO THE LEFT, WHEN FACING THE MOTHERBOARD.) and keep placing the sticks side-by-side, to the right. If you have dual channel, make sure they are placed properly, usually dual channel memory is placed like this..Slot 1-Slot 3 Slot 2-Slot 4.

Since it is a new computer, tell me your specifications, I could get some information to help you from it.

A Trick:
This is just a trick I have done over the years with multiple computers when they have experienced a similar problem as this.  :pacman:

Step 1: Unhook every single wire/cord from the back of your computer, including the PSU cord from the power outlet it is in. (If you have an extension cord hooked into a power outlet, unhook it also.)

Step 1: Hook the Extension cord (if any) into a different slot on the outlet, do the same for the PSU Cord.

Step 1: Hook every wire you unhooked back up to the back of your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a few tricks, tips, and help I have had problems/experiences, and info with..Enjoy  8)

I tried unplugging and reconnecting all the cables but it didn't make a difference. Also, I checked and my power supply is blowing a ton of air out the bottom.

Here's my specs:

Cooler Master HAF 912
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ Motherboard
PowerColor Radeon 6850
Seagate 250gb 6gb/s 7200rpm HDD
G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM
Rosewill Hive-550 Power Supply
Windows 7 64-bit

Okay, so  today I went and opened her up, and checked for loose cables, but I couldn't find any. I used to have my computer's power cable connected to a power bar, that already had another laptop hooked up to it, plus my monitor, and a bunch of other stuff. I unplugged the power cable from that and plugged it into the wall instead, I doubt that it would make any difference, but I tried anyway.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:24:12 PM by omgodzilla »

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:33:30 AM »
Try stress testing your memory. That could be the issue.

Offline hotdog

• woof woof buns
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
the problem probably is your using a generic 550w psu.  not receiving all the juice and that brand usually has problems alot of doa.

the heart of ne system is its power, without propper and safe power to your system your system can become unstable or even damage components.

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
the problem probably is your using a generic 550w psu.  not receiving all the juice and that brand usually has problems alot of doa.

the heart of ne system is its power, without propper and safe power to your system your system can become unstable or even damage components.
His system, according to newegg's calc, is ~450 if I remember, cutting it a bit close, but it should be fine for output.
Stress test your ram, your cpu, and your GPU. If it crashes when testing the GPU, then its probably the power. If it crashes when testing ram (test with only 1 stick in at a time) well then its your ram. If nothing, dont know what else it could be.