Author Topic: Introduction to Wiremod!  (Read 125 times)

Offline Goat

• Windows UserDog LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +178
Introduction to Wiremod!
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
+2
Getting Started
First of all, welcome to Wiremod! This modification is the most popular Garry's Mod addon to date, so learning how to wire is increasingly key to any GMod player's experience. Understandbly, Wire can be confusing to those who are just starting out (god, I was so confused when I started), but the tutorial should move at a pace that matches your skill level.

A quick note: I assume you already have the wire and wire model packs in your addons folder. If you've had trouble doing this, check out "www.wiremod.com". You should be able to follow the tutorial accurately if your wire is installed correctly.

Lets get started.

How Wire Works

Before you dive headfirst into building with wire, let me give you a little nugget of information. The Wiremod addon is based on the premise of its name: wires. The idea of wire is connecting the inputs and outputs of different devices. I'm sure some of you may be asking yourself "So what's an input and an output?" Well, it's pretty simple really. An input is anything that you, well, put in a device. For example, a keyboard is a type of input. You put in letters to the computer, and it does a bunch of fancy processes to translate it.

The monitor you're reading this off of is an example of an output. An output is whatever comes out of the device; a picture, a number, anything. In the whole input/output combination, wires are simply a way to link the inputs and the outputs. If I have a device that outputs 1, I can wire the input of a "Wire Screen" to the output of that device, so the 1 inputted to the screen is then shown (an output of 1).

Now that you have a decent grasp of how wire functions, let's build a contraption!

We are going to first make a simple speedometer!

1. Spawn a vehicle of your choice.

2. Get your speedometer tool out (in Q menu by clicking on right side of menu on wire tab) and spawn it anywhere on your vehicle.

3. Spawn a wire screen with the following options.
a. Single value: on
b. Bigger font: on
c. Floor value: on
d. Value A: MPH/KPH (this depends on where you live in the world)

4. Now place your wire screen somewhere you can see it while driving.

Now the wiring.
Wire the A value from the screen to the MPH (or KPH) on the speedometer.

Make sure your screen is welded and drive away!

>I hope you enjoyed this guide for some new members introducing them to the wonderful world of wire.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
Re: Introduction to Wiremod!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
This is an okay guide for people understanding the real basics of wiremod. You copied the speedometer off gmod wiki :D

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Working_Speedometer!

Offline Goat

View More Badges!

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:37:26 AM »
Yeah lol the speedometer isnt hard at all todo and if I would have written it myself it wouldn't have looked much different.
I actually went to look at the guide because I forgot how to do it, (lol E2 can make you forget the simplist of things.)

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
Getting Started
so learning how to wire is increasingly key to any GMod player's experience.

Offline Goat

View More Badges!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »
+1