Author Topic: Virus Scanning and Removal Recommendations (also, Maintainance.)  (Read 254 times)

Offline InfamousFelix

• I've got a lovely bunch of co-co nuts.
  • Respect: +27
EDIT:
Programs I recommend for Virus Removal and Detection.

There's a program I have been using in My Years of Computer work (I don't have a Computer IT Tech Degree or anything like that but I've been working with them since I was 9, Mostly with fixing them.)

The number one and only program I have used for removal of Viruses is called Unlocker, Simultaneously kills the process and deletes the virus, You can Download it FOR FREE From MajorGeeks.com, Here is a link. :) http://majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

Also a list of Anti-Viruses I Recommend and Anti-Viruses I Do NOT recommend. (Also Anti-Spyware)

I Personally Recommend:
ESET Nod32 (It was actually #1 in a test on OCforums.com and when I had it, It worked Wonderfully)
Malware-Bytes (Decent Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus)
Spybot Search & Destroy (It does an ok job but does not nab everything, It used to be all I used it's still a good program if you need a backup. :) )
Microsoft's Security Essentials (Yes It actually does a decent job, Only available by download Here >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f< or Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 Upgrade)
Trend Micro (Be careful it was buggy when I used it, It actually caused my system to crash but I still use the online scanner)

Most of the time, Your Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware program isn't going to be any good with anything else (That I've experienced) Unless it's Corporate.

Anti-Viruses I do NOT recommend:
Avira
AVG (It caught 700+ out of 2000 viruses and spyware on a test that OCforums.com ran on different computers)
Ad-aware (It's a BS anti-Malware that slows your computer down tremendously and hardly finds anything)
Norton Anti-Virus (I Highly do not recommend, My dad had it for 3 years, on a computer that had not been reformatted the entire time, I ran a test from Trendmicro.com and found over 4000+ Viruses on his computer, Also if your subscription expires, It will INTENTIONALLY slow down your computer.)
McAfee Anti-Virus (Also another BS antivirus, I actually found that it brought more attention to my computer and let more viruses in)

Things that you can also do to Prevent Viruses or Malware, If you have Firefox or Google Chrome (If you don't I highly recommend you switch IE Has a lot of loopholes in it) You can download an addon for them called WOT (Web of Trust) This is an application that brings reviews that everyone submits on a website to rate it a good or bad website weather it be from viruses, Spyware or it be from Identity theft, It will save you, It saved me from identity theft and I haven't had a virus in almost a year now. :)

There are free scans for these Anti-Viruses, I have found them Helpful, Links below.

ESET NOD32:
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Trend Micro
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also, One last thing, Good system maintenance , Everybody needs to stick to it, I remember I helped a guy with his computer, He couldn't run Counter-Strike: Source cause his key input was delayed, Or his mouse movement, He had a brand new video card and it wouldn't work, I went into his system remotely and found that his hard drive was 57% Fragmented, Once it was De-Fragmented It ran perfectly smooth.

So I recommend:
PC Pitstop PC Matic (Not free but it works very well also comes with a Virus/Malware scanner)
DiskTrix Ultimate Disk Defrag

That's about it, I hope this Guide helps you out with your troubles, Feel free to ask any questions. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:52:55 PM by InfamousFelix »
-Felix

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
Re: Virus Scanning and Removal Guide.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
Anti-Viruses I do NOT recommend:
Avira
AVG (It caught 700+ out of 2000 viruses and spyware on a test that OCforums.com ran on different computers)
Ad-aware (It's a BS anti-Malware that slows your computer down tremendously and hardly finds anything)
Norton Anti-Virus (I Highly do not recommend, My dad had it for 3 years, on a computer that had not been reformatted the entire time, I ran a test from Trendmicro.com and found over 4000+ Viruses on his computer, Also if your subscription expires, It will INTENTIONALLY slow down your computer.)
McAfee Anti-Virus (Also another BS antivirus, I actually found that it brought more attention to my computer and let more viruses in)

You said that twice... besides, my McAfee works decently and warns me about all these programs wanting access.

Offline InfamousFelix

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27:01 PM »
You said that twice... besides, my McAfee works decently and warns me about all these programs wanting access.

Thank you for pointing that out, That was a strange glitch considering I didn't copy/paste anything but links. o.O

But anyways, It can be good as far as monitoring programs but its detection of Viruses and Malware is Poor.
-Felix

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:01:53 AM »
Stop stealing mah guide :o The program Rkill that I posted does (pretty much almost) the same thing as Unlocker... :/

Thank you Marie for the sprite.

Offline InfamousFelix

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:43:45 AM »
I didn't see the Rkill part, I might as well just make it a suggestion guide. >.>
-Felix

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
Re: Virus Scanning and Removal Recommendations (also, Maintainance.)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
My favorite ant-virus.

Panda Cloud (Amazing Cloud based AV, eXPREEEMLY light on resources.)
Microsoft's Security Essentials. (Free and secure.)
Emsisoft's Anti-virus. (Top detection rates.)
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »
msse ftw :)

Offline InfamousFelix

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »
My favorite ant-virus.

Panda Cloud (Amazing Cloud based AV, eXPREEEMLY light on resources.)
Microsoft's Security Essentials. (Free and secure.)
Emsisoft's Anti-virus. (Top detection rates.)

Hmm, I have yet to hear of Panda Cloud, Do they have a Trial version?

And yes, Microsofts Security Essentials actually SURPRISED me by how well microsoft actually did with it, I have had a few bugs thought, It blocks some of my hardware on my computer from using the internet but I'm guessing that's a security Protocal or Setting for it, I'm not quite sure but I haven't found a resolve for the issue yet, I haven't checked into how well it does as far as resource consumption but overall I'm glad to have it so I don't have to buy a 60$ anti-virus, Cause at the moment, I can't afford it but otherwise, I'm actually pretty Satisfied with it.

Emsisoft's Anti-Virus, Another I have yet to hear of but I will be sure to look into it. :)

-Felix

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
Hmm, I have yet to hear of Panda Cloud, Do they have a Trial version?

And yes, Microsofts Security Essentials actually SURPRISED me by how well microsoft actually did with it, I have had a few bugs thought, It blocks some of my hardware on my computer from using the internet but I'm guessing that's a security Protocal or Setting for it, I'm not quite sure but I haven't found a resolve for the issue yet, I haven't checked into how well it does as far as resource consumption but overall I'm glad to have it so I don't have to buy a 60$ anti-virus, Cause at the moment, I can't afford it but otherwise, I'm actually pretty Satisfied with it.

Emsisoft's Anti-Virus, Another I have yet to hear of but I will be sure to look into it. :)
Take a look at Panda Cloud. Its 100% free. Takes like 1mb of ram on idle.

Emsisoft is not free but is The best i must say.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Moo

• Respect: +413
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »
mse

Offline Shawn

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• IGM: Shawn /Steam ID: Shawnchapp
  • Respect: +373
    • The Vault
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »
avast!

nuff said.

Offline InfamousFelix

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »
Take a look at Panda Cloud. Its 100% free. Takes like 1mb of ram on idle.

Emsisoft is not free but is The best i must say.
Does Emsisoft have a trial?

I will Definitely check out panda cloud first since it's free. :)
-Felix

Offline cogsandspigots

• Respect: +612
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »
I have M.S.E. and McAfee keeps asking me to install it and there is no way to stop the messages. It wouldn't bother me so much besides the fact it pops up at a random time each day and shuts down all applications.

I will post a picture next time it pops up.

Offline InfamousFelix

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »
+1
avast!

nuff said.

Avast = Fail and massive  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
It's an over rated Anti-Virus that barely catches half of what's out there.
-Felix

Offline InfamousFelix

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
+1
I have M.S.E. and McAfee keeps asking me to install it and there is no way to stop the messages. It wouldn't bother me so much besides the fact it pops up at a random time each day and shuts down all applications.

I will post a picture next time it pops up.

Yeah, That BS is annoying.
-Felix