Author Topic: Don's Index for Useful Topics in rNd!  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Don

• Respect: +1201
Don's Index for Useful Topics in rNd!
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
+29

Because good titles are not my business!

Introduction

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I have come here today to reveal to you a (hopefully) useful little wall of text for all your needs. Even though you could guess certain things from the (uncreative) title, I will still explain what exactly this is later on. As for the introduction,
I am Don. You know me. If you don't, you ... well, you don't. I have been talking with our good old fellow Frank. I have recently been in a rather helpful mood again (for previous helpful moods, refer to the Regular, VIP and Discussions sections), so I thought - why not make something good for a change? After a little while of joshing chatter, my fellow and I had come to a conclusion ... There is not one thing to write about! Most things have been done, some good, some not-so good, but it has been done on a sufficient enough quality. After a few bad ideas, we decided to give the search of finding something I could write about, Frank suddenly came up with a life-changing idea ... Making an Index of all Useful Topics in rNd! Frank had planned to do this himself earlier, but he did not have the time or motivation to do so, so it's up to me to do this.
Since this is out of the way with a tiny little bit of over-dramatizing, let's continue with explaining what the fudge this is. At this point, an early thank you to Frank for giving me something to write about!

What the hell is this?

That is an excellent question, friend. An excellent question.
What this is suppoed to do is give you a (more or less) short overview of all useful topics that have ever been posted on the rNd forums -- providing they have been (re)posted on the new forums. Along with all the links, this is supposed to give you an easy way to access all of them. As well as that, after every link, there's a brief description stating what you can find in the guide. I might do more in the future, but you know my "might"s - they never happen.

As always, if you wish your thread/guide/whatever to be removed or added, post in this thread, PM me or contact me over Steam!

Without further ado, let's begin this!

1 - SERVERS

-- This list only contains guides/information regarding pure things on the servers, such as gameplay guides --

1.A - TTT - Trouble in Terrorist Town

------ Cake Face's Guide on How to Catch a Traitor ------

Description
Well, what is there to say? The title is fairly self-explanatory. This guide, written by our dear member Cake Face, looks over the most important aspects of TTT and tells newbies briefly on what they're supposed to do in this game. What is special about this guide though, is that it's the first of its kind - no one has made a sufficient enough TTT Guide before Cake did, and this guide itself spawned two more babies, which will be explained later.
If you're looking for a short, straight-forward guide on how to play TTT, this is your best bet.

------ NoxiousBullet19/mokey19/(Valor)iPounce's short TTT Guide ------

Description
Well, after calling Cake's guide short just then, this is another good example of a guide that is good on the go. It is straight to the point and doesn't rely on chitchat to make something appear bigger (coughcough). Although this is more of a reminding sheet or a fact sheet if you want, it can still be used as a good reference on what you have to do as soon as you spawn in TTT. It's a short read that might teach you some things. Not much time you'll lose reading it if you don't like it. Whatever your opinion is, you can always drop a comment in the topic, authors actually like criticism.

------ Don's Reary Nice TTT Guide ------

Description
The latest and biggest in the TTT guide trio. Inspired by Cake Face's guide, I set on to create a guide larger than Psycho's Zombie Survival guide. To bring this into perspective, the weapons and interface sections take up three different posts. As it is right now, the TTT Guide stands as RND's biggest unfinished guide - at the moment it does not contain any information on what to do as Innocent, Traitor or Detective, therefore lacking actually teaching you anything properly. The thing it does right now is giving you a detailed insight of how the interface works, how the weapons work, how much damage they do, and so on. This is still helpful for newcomers, but unless I can finally be asked to complete this bitch, it's a waste of time due to a large (LARGE) wall of text that only teaches absolute newbies anything. If you actually read it, drop the author a comment, whether it's positive or negative.

------ Official Trouble in Terrorist Town Rules ------

Description
This is it. The big cheese. The holy gra- No, not really. This list, written by our fellow member Sanders, has set the rules on the TTT server since the faithful day they were written. Regulars, Guests, VIPs, Admins - everyone follows these rules. This topic is a must-read for all people that want to play TTT or that are playing it since a while. See, before this thread, there was always a certain confusion over things being unclear, but that has mostly been solved by this thread. As with all the threads on this list, reading it is highly recommended - in this case, I'd almost go as far as to saying it's necessary if you're active on TTT. Nothing else to say here, I would just repeat myself over and over again.

------ Deacon's short and simple guide to regaining Karma ------

Description
Hello.
This is Deacon. And it's crap.
This simple and easy guide tells you how to get it up and going. It's certainly a useful guide for both long-time players and newbies. As the title is >implying, this guide is supposed to be as easy as possible for all people and is generally more of a "checklist" than a guide. Still, hopefully Deacon is planning to improve and add to an already decent guide. Still, it's a short and good read, and it's definitely helpful for all people. If you have any suggestions, constructive criticism or simply want to say hello, drop him a comment at his thread. He needs it.

1.B - Fretta, Winter Survival, Rotation, Flood, Plain, Sledbuild and Wirebuild
--- You are most likely wondering what the hell this is right now - TTT and ZS get their own special section, but all the other gamemodes don't? Well, there is a simple reason for that - unlike TTT and ZS, the other servers don't really have any guides or set of rules written on the forums, therefore it would only be a waste of space to give each of them their own section here. ---

------ Krasher's Flood Server Rules ------

Description
Back when Flood was still rather popular and used to have dozens of different people playing every single day (including now-known members), there was always a certain annoyance: minges. Since there was no set of rules anywhere to be found, it was up to each individual respected to figure out when to kick and when to not kick. This worked out ... Well ... Not so well, to say it nice. Krasher, who is now gone, wrote this set of rules to clarify things - although never official, this has ever since then been used as a guideline for all the people that were trying to keep peace on the Flood server. Now, unfortunately, Flood is about as crowded as a silly pun that belongs here, so these rules are mostly out of effect - the concept still remains, and it deserves to be mentioned here for what it has done to the past flood.

------ Boat Sinkers' Ultimate Boat Guide ------

Description
Another flood related topic in here. Even though this topic was posted by coolz, the original thread was written and posted by Boat Sinker, who has become oddly inactive throughout the past months. As with the previous topic, this is mostly outdated due to the huge update that has been done to Flood - new props, new prices, new money system, and so on. Still, there has been much effort put into this guide, so it would be a shame not to put that in here. If you want to know how boats looked like back when everyone still played Flood, check it out - it's mostly pictures and not much text, so it shouldn't take too long.

------ Rocket50's Guide to Winter Survival ------

Description
Well, this guide takes the place of the longest, shortest, first and last Winter Survival guide. That is not necessarily a bad thing though - it simply means that the first guide covered enough to make any further guides unnecessary. This guide gives detailed information about all aspects of Winter Survival and even includes pictures to make things even clearer. Layout-wise, the guide is easy to read and goes fine on the eye, so there's nothing to complain about here.
As for the content, I am not a WS player myself, so I will just assume that the guide gives off correct and good information about the subject. If you're new to Winter Survival, a read of this is recommended, especially seeing how WS itself barely offers any built-in help for newcomers.

------ All the Winter Survival Recipes ------

Description
Well, as the title says, this list contains all the recipes in the Winter Survival gamemode. This guide has been reposted by Frank on the new forums, but was originally made by a member going by the name "crazed gunner". People often requested a list like this, but barely anyone ever had one and there was usually just a remark stating that google should be used. Not anymore. Nothing else to say here.

1.C - Zombie Survival

------ Zombie Survival Weapon Stats ------

Description
This guide has always been a rather useful thing to players, and unlike the flood guides, it has stayed up to date all the way until today. This guide shows how much damage each weapon does, how fast it fires, how it affects your running speed, and so on. This data is most definitely correct since it has been taken directly out of the lua files of the ZS gamemode. The only downside in this guide is just that it lacks a few weapons in its list. Other than that, it offers a nice layout, offers quick and detailed information, and is just generally helpful all around. The whole thing was done by Krasher.

------ ASDF's ZS Weapons and Facts ------

Description
This guide is the most recent ZS guide. While it copies most of its layout from other guides, at the very least it gives credit to the people that have done much of the work for him. Anyway, this guide offers a bit of everything, but its main focus (for now) is the Weapons section. Here, it provides information in all kinds of things such as range and accuracy. You could say it's a mix between Psycho's and Krasher's guides and it still needs a lot of work to be done, but I am confident that the guide will be a good read in the future. For now, it's still decent to read it if you're looking for quick, straight-forward information about the weapons in ZS.

------ ZS Server Map Routes ------

Description
Another topic rescued from being lost forever in the deletion of the old forums. Reposted by coolz, this thread was originally made by Cake Face and was made to cover the best routes to take in the (then) most popular maps of the ZS server ... Or that appears to have been the initial plan. Unfortunately, Cake Face hasn't done anything past zs_fort and zs_cave, which are both still frequently played maps. Even though they were the only ones he made, that by no means results in this guide being horrible. It's still very helpful to both older and newer players. This guide shows brilliantly how some simple things can sometimes be better than huge-ass time consuming super-drawings - For this, I congratulate you, Cake. Anyway, this is a good "read" if you play ZS.

------ Psycho's Zombie Survival Guide! ------

Description
This is, as of now, the most detailed, oldest and biggest ZS guide that has been made. Reposted by Frank, it was originally made by our fellow (ex?-)member Psycho, who has disappeared in recent times due to unknown circumstances. This guide was written with the target in mind to not only teach the person, but to also amuse them while doing so. All in all, this guide is big, detailed, funny and helpful overall. But, and this is the special part, apart from teaching you about ZS, it also includes some interesting tips and tricks to improve performance while wasting your life hunting zombies. Even though this guide is long, it's definitely worth reading, no matter whether you're the best player ever or just an innocent bystander. Read it. Now.

2 - FORUMS

-- As you might be able to guess, this list contains all the guides regarding things on the forums --

2.A - Promotions

------ How To: Regular ------

Description
Well, there's not much to say about this that wouldn't be stating the obvious. As you may be able to guess, this topic tells you what a Regular is and what to do in order to get it. It also contains some additional information on how approximately your application is supposed to look like and at what time/scheme it is going to be approved/denied. Nothing else to say.

------ How To: Get SteamIDs without going in-game ------

Description
Well, this is a simple, short and straightforward guide on how to get someone's SteamID without having to meet someone in-game. Definitely useful for reports and people unable to type "status" in console. Use it.

------ How To: VIP ------

Description
As with the How To: Regular topic previously mentioned, this topic simply tells you on what to do if you're planning to apply for the VIP position. It also gives a very brief description on who is eligible to apply, who can vote on your applications, what VIPs can do, and so on. It also clarifies some things, mainly in regards of the ability of VIPs to post on applications. If you're interested in VIP, read it. Obviously.

------ List of Active VIP Approvers ------

Description
This topic simply shows you which admins have shown sufficient enough activity so that their votes matter on your VIP applications. It also shows you how many of these admins you will need in the end, based on two thirds of the admins listed here. Think through this list carefully before applying to make sure that you have good relations with all the admins on here.

------ Who are the VIPs ------

Description
Well, to put this in a few words, this list shows all current VIPs, shows all demoted VIPs and shows all VIPs demoted due to inactivity. That's all there is to say about this. Check it if you want, it's always up to date.

2.B - Rules & General Information

------ Content ------

Description
As we know, there aren't many rules in rNd. The few that do exist though are expected to be held up at all times. Unfortunately, even though there's an entire section dedicated to it with only one thread inside, people do not seem to be able to read through this. Which is sad. Just have a quick look over this to avoid a lot of trouble, it only takes around one minute.

------ The News/Announcements board ------

Description
Yes, I just included an entire section instead of single topics. This saves me having to update this thing on an unregular basis. Basically, this section always gets new announcements and updates whenever something major happens. That can range from real life events like the Japan Earthquake to server related things such as an explanation and statement to major DDoSes happening lately. Checking this section from time to time can keep you updated on what's happening with the servers and stuff. Nothing much to say here really, the only thing that comes to mind is that no one except admins is able to post in this section, but usually major topics get a seperate topic in the discussions board for the "commoners" to discuss. Driftin' off again, check this section about every week or so.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:27:45 AM by Minic »

Offline Don

Re: Don's Index for Useful Topics in rNd!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
+14
2.C - Others
-- This section includes the forum guides that don't fit into any other section ... Simple as that, yeah. I will keep the descriptions short on these since there are simply too many --

------ Official "This map sucks, remove now kthx" Thread ------

Description
If you see a map in ZS/TTT/Flood/any other server that you want gone for whatever reason, this is the thread to go to.

------ Request Wire Dupes/Delete Wire Dupes *Here*! ------

Description
You have a dupe uploaded on the wirebuild server and desperately want it moved to your new account/simply deleted? This is the thread you need to look into then.

------ Request garrysmod.org files here! ------

Description
Created a long time ago by Jets, this thread is for pingas'd users that want files from garrysmod.org. Always say please and thanks to the people doing this for you.

------ Read Here if your Steam Account has been disabled/phished ------

Description
This was made during the huge push of phished accounts, this thread was made to prevent a flood of complaints about phished accounts. Still useful today.

------ Introduction and Rules (Language Section) ------

Description
A simple list of information for the Language section. Simple.

------ Post your Console errors! ------

Description
If you happen to get any odd errors during playing on any rNd server, this is the thread in which you should post about it. Don't forget to provide all necessary information when posting an error.

------ How to record a demo file (.dem) ------

Description
The most recent guide on this list, this guide somehow manages to spread a simple console command over four different steps. A well written guide that will certainly improve the quality of all evidence on reports. I'm not even being sarcastic, even though it sounds like it.

------ How To: Gif as Forum Avatar ------

Description
After many people were asking on how to get animated avatars, this thread was eventually made to prevent all further topics asking on how to make dem gifs as avatars. It's a simple way to do that and it certainly helped to slip away from a flood of questions.

------ Don's SteamID/Age/Join Date database ------

Description
This collection of data carefully gathered during stalker sessions is simply there to show some more things about the known members of rNd. More information is available in the topic. This database is updated whenever there is a good reason to update it.

3 - MISCELLANOUS

-- While miscellanous sounds rather negative and unimportant, these are the guides that I simply couldn't fit in anywhere else because they were not related to a certain thing --

------ rANdOm SVN Manager ------

Description
The rANdOm SVN manager is, as you might be able to guess, an SVN manager developed by coolz. It offers a simple to use menu for downloading and installing various SVNs with a few clicks. The manager is being updated on a regular basis and has been translated to various different languages by members of the community. Even if you don't like using SVN Managers, the simple amount of SVN links within this program is already impressive.

------ Why™ Forum Deletion Edition ------

Description
This program is best described by this:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Logging started.. Sat Sep 18 13:27:58 2010
--------
Why (TM) v0.11R8 - by coolzeldad
Program has loaded successfully..

-- Hello. Why not enjoy?
pingas
-- Why not listen?
pingas
-- Why not admin?
pignas
-- Why not chat?
pingas
-- Why type?
pingas
-- Why not straight?
pingas

------ How to make: Successful/Interesting Map ------

Description
A simple and good guide created by our fellow user Mehis. It offers a lot of pictures to appeal to more people and gives out brief information on how you can create your map appealing to the majority of people. This is to prevent a huge load of generic maps that are around everywhere - they're a waste of time for both players and mappers, so this guide is definitely helpful. Well done.

------ Admin Map Upload Changelist ------

Description
Since Admins are able to upload maps, there has apparently been a huge onslaught on upload requests to them. This list does what's on the tin - it gives you an overview of what maps admins have uploaded to the servers over the whole period of time it has been possible since. It even has dates with all maps!

------ So suddenly everybody hates you, what do? ------

Description
Even though this guide does not directly relate to rNd in an obvious way, it does contribute something valuable to all people: the knowledge on how to redeem themselves once they dun goof'd. It certainly has a usefulness in this whole wide world and actually gives a few helpful hints. Still, unless you fucked up big time, this guide should not be something you have to look at. I would tell you to give criticism and all that, but Seb tends to whore for it a little. That's an entirely different story though.

------ How To: Extend Posts-per-Page/Threads-per-Page ------

Description
What it says. It tells you on how to increase the usual limit of 15 posts per page in threads in a few easy steps. In my opinion the option is useful and the guide certainly helps people realise how to do it properly. Nothing. Else. To. Say.

------ RND Forum Ranking System ------

Descriptions
As we all know, there have always been certain posting ranks in the forums that we can reach by spamming as much as possible. This "guide" quickly tells you about what rank you get at which postcount. Even though the guide was reposted by rocket50, it was originally made by Artik Banana, who quit rNd by now. Except for the last rank, this list is accurate.

------ Cake's Guide for Micspamming ------

Descriptions
This is a short guide from our favourite mic spam complainer - Cake Face! Even though I do not approve of his views towards mic spamming, this guide is fairly useful for people to realise when they're being fun and when they're being absolute jackasses. You can ignore Cake's personal opinion in his guide, but the general content of it is very useful and good for the common good of the people. It's worth a read if you're using HLDJ/HLSS or planning to use either one soon.

------ Teamspeak 3 Information ------

Descriptions
Information about the TS server, including the IP, how to connect, compatibility information, the password, and so on. It's useful if you're wishing to join the rNd TS server, which is certainly something you need to check out one time or another.

------ Useful SVN Links ------

Descriptions
Aaaaand the whole fun (used to) end with a last appearance of our former black sheep rocket50! In this list/guide, rocket50 took out all the SVN links from the rNd SVN Manager and put it in a simple list that offers a good overview. It's simpler to use than to pick out all the links from the SVN manager, but honestly you can just use that one instead. Still, for taking the time to take out all the links seperately, this deserves to be on here.

------ For all those new people on the forums ------

Descriptions
rNd's (as of now) newest guide written by our Canadian friend Silent. In this guide, Silent explains to new people what they should do on the forums and what they should avoid -- at least, that's what's expected, but right now it's rather brief and isn't as big as it could be. I'm positive that Silent will improve on it though and as of now it stands as a good reference for all new people in rNd.

------ How to increase FPS while playing ------
Video Tutorial: http://forum.randomgs.com/index.php/topic,6090.0.html

Description
In this tutorial (and in the video tutorial as well), our new fellow friend This Guy explains how people can increase their FPS while playing any game they want. Not much more I can write about here, so be sure to check it out.

------ Deacon's guide to reporting successfully ------

Description
Deacon strikes again with being overly helpful and took his time to make a guide on how to report someone successfully. In this guide, the requirements for a good report are given and Deacon elaborated on just how to get solid proof etc. Read it.

Sooo, my fine folks. This is it for this index - for now. As with my database, I am planning to always keep this updated and as big as possible. Again, if you wish to see your guide up there or wish for it to be removed, simply contact me.
Also, if you read this and do not leave a comment, a pack of wet horny Jmans will impregnate you as quickly as they can. So do it.

Thank you come again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:28:13 AM by Minic »

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
+1
inb4sticky

Nice job.

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
+1
:thumbsup:

Extremely useful, RND's unofficial (but should be official) index.

Just wondering, what do you mean by "I would tell you to give criticism and all that, but Seb tends to whore for it a little"?
Miami's Finest

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
+1
Just wondering, what do you mean by "I would tell you to give criticism and all that, but Seb tends to whore for it a little"?
That was towards the fact you keep asking for +1s for your guides lol.
Gotta get some hidden criticism in there. You're not the only one though.

Offline Jman

• NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Old Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +9999
  • Respect: +805
    • Random Gaming
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
+2
That was towards the fact you keep asking for +1s for your guides lol.
Gotta get some hidden criticism in there. You're not the only one though.

Excuse me sir, may I have +1?

No, just kidding. +1's will result in instant combustion and death.

Also, YOU WON'T LIKE A PACK OF ME WHEN WE'RE WET AND HORNY C:<

Offline Rocket50

• My god it's dusty
  • Respect: +946
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
+1
Last rank? what's wrong with it?

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
+1
Suggestion for mah Youtube background guide anyone?

On a larger note: Don, I love you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:45:40 PM by Cake Face »

Offline Deacon

• The righteous rise, with burning eyes
  • DonatorDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• of hatred and ill-will
  • Respect: +1788
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
+1
alert: needs to be moved to new section.

Offline Mr. Franklin

• Old Forum MemberWindows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerDonatorCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• I'm addicted to sweet tea
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
+1
missing link for Official Minecraft thread?
Quotes from friends:

.:~RND`=- coolzeldad -=: mah mouse is sqeakeh
.:~RND`=- Mr.Franklin -=: tweeeeek it

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/mrfranklin1972
Prox: Thread status: memed.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:11 AM »
+1
Sticky and get moaned at or don't sticky and get moaned at?

This is reary nice don :thumbsup:

Offline Don

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 04:10:57 AM »
+1
Sticky and get moaned at or don't sticky and get moaned at?

This is reary nice don :thumbsup:
sticky and get pingas in butt :>

alert: needs to be moved to new section.
wat

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:37:23 AM by DoeniDon »

Offline Dale Feles

• Hoersface
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »
+1
Don does it again. very nice.

Thank you Marie for the sprite.

Offline PhysicX M.D.

• YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
+1
Don,you and your guides.Are totally EPIC
Deleting this account.

Offline Don

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 07:55:19 AM »
Again, thanks people.

I was just thinking if it wouldn't be good to move this to the New Members section.
Good idea yes/no?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:00:20 AM by DoeniDon »