Author Topic: My Musical dilemma  (Read 62 times)

Offline somerandomguy09

• NO DDoS STOP NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
  • Respect: +54
My Musical dilemma
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »
Alrighty well i need some help on this one guys

I've always really enjoyed and appreciated music for what it is and latley ive found myself actually wanting to pursue a career in it: My problem is this however

Like many other before me (at least i hope im not the only lost one xD)
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING

I know what sounds good (like i'll be listening to a song and i'll be like HEY this would really sound good if you stopped here added like this type of noise etc.....) but i just lack the knowledge to actually edit and create music.

i've acquired some tools  (Fl Studio 9, Recycle 2.0 for sampling, etc....) but i just dont know how to use them or how they work together what effects do what and  to what and how to achive a certain sound, or rythmic pattern (Like i know what i want to create i have the melody in my head but to its actual creation it escapes me.)

its as if im using a screwdriver as a hammer and i just dont know where to start

So if anyone could link to me somewhere to START (a series of tutorials, a cool website some music guru composed,how to actually create melodies etc....) it'd be appreciated

Thank you for taking the time to read this post though i know i can get a little crazy when im typing i just really want to stop saying i want to start but ACTUALY START.) :book: :book: :book:
♫ Just Let The Beat Take you away =) ♫

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
Re: My Musical dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
Get some good VST plugins like Massive, Toxic Biohazard, PoiZone etc.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
Honestly, I could help you learn how to use the tools through livestream or something, although I mainly make 8-bit chiptune style music.

Carp has also been making some amazing stuff too. I guess it really depends on what genre you want to try.

Some of my stuff
Cadaver - Transylvanian Whipping (2A03 Remix)
A little test with Modplug
Test Loop

Some of Carps stuff

Where Are You Going - Carp
Why Me (DnB) - Carp

Carp might be willing to help you out, and he also uses more professional tools, so if he's busy, then I'd be happy to help.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline somerandomguy09

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Get some good VST plugins like Massive, Toxic Biohazard, PoiZone etc.

See the thing is i have plenty of VST plugins already (desperatly pingazed like the entire internet) but i dont know how to properly use them to achieve certain sounds and even then (either by random knob twisties or cool preset) when i achieve a sound im satisfied with i dont know how to structure my notes (in FL Studio you use the piano roll) in a manner to create the melody i have concocted in my little head
Honestly, I could help you learn how to use the tools through livestream or something, although I mainly make 8-bit chiptune style music.

Carp has also been making some amazing stuff too. I guess it really depends on what genre you want to try.

Some of my stuff
Cadaver - Transylvanian Whipping (2A03 Remix)
A little test with Modplug
Test Loop

Some of Carps stuff

Where Are You Going - Carp
Why Me (DnB) - Carp

Carp might be willing to help you out, and he also uses more professional tools, so if he's busy, then I'd be happy to help.

In terms of Genre i've always been open to all forms of music thoughh.....
im looking to work with any form of electronic music (since the proccess of creating an electronic song requires the use of multiple tools and the ability to structure sounds to create melodies that compliment eachother

so if we could work out some sort of livestream or something that would work =D though i dont know we'd get that to work xD (i've never worked with livestreams before and the like)

simply put though IM A NOOB in desperate need to become an errr... non-noob.

Offline Carp

• Everybody dies but not everybody lives.
  • Respect: +228
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
Ya i use ableton live, i had to pingaz it because it is a really expensive program. But the program is really easy to navigate and get used to because there are so many tutorials on youtube and stuff. But of course with any program you are going to have to use a midi keyboard to create your notes like you were talking about. Need any help just ask me.

"Even the smallest individual can shape the fortunes of all"

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »
See the thing is i have plenty of VST plugins already (desperatly pingazed like the entire internet) but i dont know how to properly use them to achieve certain sounds and even then (either by random knob twisties or cool preset) when i achieve a sound im satisfied with i dont know how to structure my notes (in FL Studio you use the piano roll) in a manner to create the melody i have concocted in my little head

In terms of Genre i've always been open to all forms of music thoughh.....
im looking to work with any form of electronic music (since the proccess of creating an electronic song requires the use of multiple tools and the ability to structure sounds to create melodies that compliment eachother

so if we could work out some sort of livestream or something that would work =D though i dont know we'd get that to work xD (i've never worked with livestreams before and the like)

simply put though IM A NOOB in desperate need to become an errr... non-noob.

Oh crap, just remembered.

:L

I use trackers to make my music, while carp uses a sound editor like FL Studio, or Ableton.

But I don't think that matters, it seems like your only issue is learning how to take beats/rhythms from your head onto the keyboard.

I found learning how to properly play piano, and then re-creating songs by ear to help out. A lot.

Offline somerandomguy09

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
Ya i use ableton live, i had to pingaz it because it is a really expensive program. But the program is really easy to navigate and get used to because there are so many tutorials on youtube and stuff. But of course with any program you are going to have to use a midi keyboard to create your notes like you were talking about. Need any help just ask me.

I did order an Akai Mpk61 last week (should be coming in any day now excited =]) thanks ill look into Ableton live (though im kinda accustomed to FL)

thanks guys for replying though at least now i know who to contact if i have any problems but one question are there any specific programs/vst's you guys use to edit your sounds (you know add effects and tweak em up)

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Some music shit I made
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
I did order an Akai Mpk61 last week (should be coming in any day now excited =]) thanks ill look into Ableton live (though im kinda accustomed to FL)

thanks guys for replying though at least now i know who to contact if i have any problems but one question are there any specific programs/vst's you guys use to edit your sounds (you know add effects and tweak em up)

I never understood why a midi keyboard was necessary :L

Anyhow, GL.

Offline Carp

• Everybody dies but not everybody lives.
  • Respect: +228
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
In ableton live it has a shit ton of effects that i just use, I'm still quite inexperienced so i will probably use third party programs later on when i get better.

"Even the smallest individual can shape the fortunes of all"