Author Topic: Mapping problem. D:  (Read 222 times)

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
  • Respect: +6
Mapping problem. D:
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
When i try to test my map, Gmod is stuck on the last bar of Loading Resources.
I have tried to fix it with what ever other sites have said.
They dont work.

The map compiles fine.
If needed i can post the Log.

I can play on other maps in singleplayer its just my map that Doesnt work.

anyone know how i could fix this?
<Blank space for signature>
82.72.131.83 -Minecrap Server (Currently Making a large puzzle maze thing) (Online When it's online) (If you get unknown Host Delete the 3 then put it back)

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +231
    • Build a boat
Re: Mapping problem. D:
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
It could be the computer it self. What happens when it sticks? Does it stop responding?

Also, post your computer specs, and paste your compile log THIS, tell us what it says.

Sabb: oh when'd you get there!?
Sabb: That was embarrassing.

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:31:58 PM »
Computer Specs.

Acer Aspire
Windows 7 64bit
AMD Athlon II x3 425 Processor 2.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9200
Realtek High Definition Audio, Nvidia High Definition Audio.
4.00GB RAM

I doubt its my Pc because i can load Way bigger Maps with lots of Props in about 15 seconds (no addons), Though it is just my map that doesnt work.  It just freezes Completely, Its not responding says Task manager, Its memory Usage And CPU (usually 33) is Frozen. No error Message Comes up (apart from Hl2.exe has stopped working, that only happened once.)
So what can I do to fix it?
82.72.131.83 -Minecrap Server (Currently Making a large puzzle maze thing) (Online When it's online) (If you get unknown Host Delete the 3 then put it back)

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Build a boat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Computer Specs.

Acer Aspire
Windows 7 64bit
AMD Athlon II x3 425 Processor 2.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9200
Realtek High Definition Audio, Nvidia High Definition Audio.
4.00GB RAM

I doubt its my Pc because i can load Way bigger Maps with lots of Props in about 15 seconds (no addons), Though it is just my map that doesnt work.  It just freezes Completely, Its not responding says Task manager, Its memory Usage And CPU (usually 33) is Frozen. No error Message Comes up (apart from Hl2.exe has stopped working, that only happened once.)
So what can I do to fix it?

Do you think you could zip the BSP and upload it somewhere so I can test it on my computer?

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »
Thats a good idea. Ill also volunteer to test it. :D
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:22:29 AM »
Yah okay.

LINK: http://www.multiupload.com/H3WSLQFLXU

I'll put the VMF in aswell if u want to compile it again or look for any errors. (Might just be a compiling problem with mine?, Doubt it but its possible)

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:22:20 AM »
How long have yOu waited?

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 04:59:50 AM »
45 mins max.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:55:11 AM »
Lol, leme try

Offline Pryvisee

• Half-Life Enthusiast.
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• Build a boat
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
Well, I tried it and it froze for me also... But I opened the VMF and jeez does this map look awesome! Looks like you put a lot of time and effort into making it.
I'll try to recompile and run it again.

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
I did alot of editing and optimizing in this map still couldn't figure it out

I got rid of all leaks, overvisuals etc

I managed to get it to show me as ingame, but it crashed with hl2.exe is not responding

Gmod fails
hl2 fail
css fail
dod fail

I opened the VMF in NPP to find a load of binary lighting codes on a floor texture, it might be the problem

Send it to interlopers or fp and get it fixed by h4x0r

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »
Well. I think i may just kill my Project. ):

Doesn't work because of some weird Error that no one knows what.
If u want to put it on INterlopers, Then fine.  U can take Credit if u want.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:59:53 PM by Bagas »

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
Tryed it. Crashed for me to. Looked in the editor. Nice map ya got there.
Cant find what is ticking it though. One small thing.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
Im gunna try one more time before saying goodbye to this project. Gunna split my map into 3 sections, compile then and  the i will see what part is bugged. :(
Can cubemaps cause Problems?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:19:03 PM by Bagas »

Offline jimonions

• the text below is true
  • Old Forum MemberWindows User
    View More Badges!

• the text above is not true
  • Respect: +589
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
+2
Material not found!: [texture]

Description:
The error is self-explanatory. Somewhere in your map you have referenced a texture that doesn't exist. Perhaps you used a texture from another modification or game you haven't correctly set your current game up for?

Solution:
Make sure you have your mod paths set up correctly and that you are including all mod contents you need.

The affected object may not work/appear properly

Last contribution: zombie@computer

Material "[texture]" not found

Description:
The error is self-explanatory. Somewhere in your map you have referenced a texture that doesn't exist. Perhaps you used a texture from another modification or game you haven't correctly set your current game up for?

Solution:
Make sure you have your mod paths set up correctly and that you are including all mod contents you need.

Last contribution: zombie@computer

Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges

Description:
A displacement is touching more than one other displacements at the same point along one of its edges; in other words: at some point, three displacements are touching each other along an entire edge. This may cause lighting errors, as vrad doesn't know which displacements need to have their light smoothed out, if you know what i mean. I guess it can also be a wanted situation, in which cause this 'error' can be ignored.

Solution:
The usual cause i can think of is the accidental non-deletion of displacements along the sides of brushes. Eg, if you have two brushes next to each other, and their tops displaced, and you accidentally also displaced the vertical brushsides between these two, you get a T-shaped intersection of three.

image: purple: side that should've been destroyed, red: the edge.

This is no real error, but it could be the cause of lighting anomalies. There is no easy way to find the displacement either, the fastest way would be to go through your displacements one by one.

Generally, this error may be ignored

Last contribution: Anonymous

fastvis = true

Description:
You seem to be running vvis in -fast mode. This is okay for testing purposes, but mind that this will cause:

Strange compile errors, like 'cluster saw into cluster' errors
Strange errors ingame (including unexpected crashes)
Hitting limits ingame, by skipping essential optimization processses
Lower performance ingame

Solution:
If you experience any of these problems, and don't have any specific clues for the cause, please try to compile without the -fast option, see if that helps. If compiling without -fast is taking too long /seems to crash vvis, you may need to optimize your map using func_detail

WARNING: Too many light styles on a face at (
  • , [y], [z])

Description:
There's a face with too many different light styles of light shining on it. (more than six). For every switchable light (that is: any light that is named or has a custom appearance) shining on a face, vrad.exe makes a new lightstyle. Basically, it calculates how the face looks like when:
-light 1 is on and light 2 is off
-light 1 is on and light 2 is on
-light 1 is off and light 2 is off
-light 1 is off and light 2 is on
I'm sure you understand how 6 switchable lights make 2 ^ 6 lightstyles, and how this enormous amount of memory has to be saved somehow. and limited.

Solution:
To stop this error, remove lights, dont give the light names unless you need to, make sure certain lights dont shine on the face (max_shining distance or by blocking it with brushes) or simply dont use that much switchable lights. Dynamic lights are not used by vrad.exe thus dont count. Lights with the same names are counted as the same lights. Find the location of the error using the coordinates.

See also:
Reference: Finding the cause of errors

The affected object may not work and/or cause general errors

Error loading studio model "[model]"!

Description:
You have used the wrong model with the wrong entity, or there is another reason the model couldn't be loaded, like an invalid location, errors in the file etc.

Solution:
Either change the model, or the entity (eg. like it says in the error, use a prop_physics, prop_dynamic or prop_physics_multiplayer) or whatever the compiler tells you you should use). Just as a thumb rule:
-anything that can be picked up is prop_dynamic or prop_physics(_multiplayer)
-anything thats completely static is prop_static (you may alsop recognise these with invisible backsides)
-anything with dynamic shapes (eg. bodies, matrasses) is prop_ragdoll.
There are exceptions offcourse, as allways. The GUI model browser shows you exactly what types of entity a model is suited for.

You can find the entity with the offending model using entity report. Enter for key 'model' and for value '[model]'.

See also:
WIKI: Prop types

Error! prop_static using model "[model]", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.

Description:
You have used the wrong model with the wrong entity.

Solution:
Either change the model, or the entity (eg. like it says in the error, use a prop_physics, prop_dynamic or prop_physics_multiplayer or whatever the compiler tells you you should use). Just as a thumb rule:
-anything that can be picked up is prop_dynamic or prop_physics(_multiplayer)
-anything thats completely static is prop_static (you may alsop recognise these with invisible backsides)
-anything with dynamic shapes (eg. bodies, matrasses) is prop_ragdoll There are exceptions offcourse, as allways.
The GUI model browser lists all entity types compatible with a certain model

See also:
WIKI: Prop types

Material [texture] uses unknown detail object type [model]!

Description:
One of your textures is scripted to emit detail props (the grass thingies that appear on displacements), but the detail props specified are not defined in the mod's data files.

Solution:
Usually this error is caused by mindlessly porting textures from other mods, without porting the detail props file. The fix is to either get these detail props from that other mod, or fix the texture so it emits detail props that exist in the current mod.

See also:
WIKI: Displacement grass
WIKI: Detail_props

NODRAW on terrain surface!

Description:
You aren't allowed to have the "tools/nodraw" texture one a displacement.

Solution:
There are two possible causes, you accidently covered a displacement face in nodraw or you accidently made a hidden face a displacement. In order to fix it in either cases, uncheck the "auto" visgroup, then check only the "displacements" visgroup. Now, look round the map see if nodraw is anywhere you wanted a real texture. If found open the material browser and find and replace the nodraw texture with any other texture. If there's no vibisible displacement faces with nodraw you'll probably want to destroy them. Open the material browser, check "Only show used textures", select NoDraw and press "Mark". Open up the face edit sheet, and click "Destroy" on the displacement tab.

See also: Reference: Finding the unfindable

Last contribution: Angry Beaver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically your map has many model errors, texture errors, and lighting problems.
I compiled with everything fast just to take a look at the console log

(JBanned) .:RND`=- DJ myppl8: if i eva become supa admin id ban moo and make hima guest