Author Topic: Trying to make a ZS map.  (Read 114 times)

Offline dannyoboy007

• Respect: +7
Trying to make a ZS map.
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
I've never used hammer in my life, and i'm new to mapping, so any help would be appreciated. I'm currently trying to make a cottage/bungalow style map, but i'm stuck on spawns. When i make an entity called info_player_human or info_player_zombie, it instantly changes it back to info_player_start on 'Objects' on the right hand pane (The one with textures on etc). How do i get around this? Also, how do you get the green smoke that slowly damages humans, and heals zombies (The green smoke stuff thats found at zombie spawn)? Thanks alot, and sorry if the questions are noobey.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:18:01 AM by dannyoboy007 »

.:Warning! Warning! Pervert alert...:.

Offline Malaka

• JMAN FAG JMAN FAG JMAN FAG JMAN FAG JMAN FAG
  • Respect: +5
Re: Trying to make a ZS map.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
Cable told Me that you have to turn auto helper off....which I still can't find. BTW start small...I rushed into z s map making and regret it.
JMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN FAGJMAN

Offline dannyoboy007

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »
Ok thanks, i've postponed my Bungalow map for a while, and currently gonna try making a map called 'Zs_Cliffhanger', based on a quarry on the edge of a cliff.

Offline Bagas

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »
I don't Know you're style of mapping but i like to just start off making the floors and grounds (in dev textures) In which u can walk on, bit by bit. Then the walls. Then the things inside the room or area, like props and Details, Then i like to make the Roof/ceiling. I do the lighting and skyboxing at the Very last (unless im testing).  It helps me make maps a bit quicker when i know what areas im supposed to be taking my time on and it doesnt help making a large Block and saying "this is how big my map is gunna be" like malaka thats what happened to me. You dont need to follow my way of mapping, you can map what ever way u like but Doing the ground first Is best  ;D
<Blank space for signature>
82.72.131.83 -Minecrap Server (Currently Making a large puzzle maze thing) (Online When it's online) (If you get unknown Host Delete the 3 then put it back)

Offline Alkaline

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +430
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »
First off, to answer your question on spawn points, start up hammer with CSS in the source SDK menu.

All        info_player_counterrorist      spawns will be the zombie spawnpoints.
All        info_player _terrorist            spawns will be the human spawnpoints.

(Be sure that you place the spawns correctly because being stuck in a block is really annoying.)

The green smoke in zombie spawn is GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY WHEN A BUNCH OF ZOMBIE SPAWNPOINTS ARE GROUPED TOGETHER!!!

Details in your map are the last thing to really focus on.
Start out with Snap to Grid ON and create almost a main area that most players would gather around in.

Don't expect yourself to make a good map in an hour.
Take your time.
Gather opinions from some of your friends.
Don't forget beta testing (if your map even goes that far).

Here's a link that WILL help you with mapmaking:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map

Enjoy  :zombie:
A Man named William Reed's last living testament says that he is going to read his own will.

Will Reed's will will read "Will Reed will read Will Reed's will"

Offline PhysicX M.D.

• YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 03:14:32 AM »
First off, to answer your question on spawn points, start up hammer with CSS in the source SDK menu.

All        info_player_counterrorist      spawns will be the zombie spawnpoints.
All        info_player _terrorist            spawns will be the human spawnpoints.

(Be sure that you place the spawns correctly because being stuck in a block is really annoying.)

The green smoke in zombie spawn is GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY WHEN A BUNCH OF ZOMBIE SPAWNPOINTS ARE GROUPED TOGETHER!!!

Details in your map are the last thing to really focus on.
Start out with Snap to Grid ON and create almost a main area that most players would gather around in.

Don't expect yourself to make a good map in an hour.
Take your time.
Gather opinions from some of your friends.
Don't forget beta testing (if your map even goes that far).

Here's a link that WILL help you with mapmaking:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map

Enjoy  :zombie:

dude.Thats NOT how it works.

Its
Info_player_human(Human Spawns)
Info_player_zombie(Zombie spawns)
zombiegasses(green smoke)
type those in entity.
Deleting this account.

Offline dannyoboy007

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:34:34 AM »
Ok thanks for the help ... but unfortunately i overwritten my map >.> Luckily i had it on autosave, but when i try to load it, it says 'Loading chunks' and stays on 5% for about 5/10 seconds and then crashes .... anyone know how to fix this?