Author Topic: Is there any appeal to gmod anymore?  (Read 234 times)

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
Is there any appeal to gmod anymore?
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »
For those of you who still frequent Gmod and play legitimately, what is keeping you going?

In my nearly 2000 hours of life wasted on that game the only time I hop on gmod is to join DarkRP and minge/rdm the fuck out of people.

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
Re: Is there any appeal to gmod anymore?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »
+1
I still love TTT. I was playing that shit like crazy when it came back. I only stopping going on because the somewhat frequent crashes were frustrating, especially since it would always happen when the server started getting 8+ people on it.

I'd STILL play TTT if the server was up and people were on. I don't play on other servers because I don't feel like meeting new people. Plus my backlog keeps growing. (Recently got semi-addicted to MGO3.)

I just really enjoy being a traitor in TTT. Not many multiplayer experiences that let's ya fuck with people like that.
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline Loke

• Click Click
  • Windows UserCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• Boom
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:08:15 AM »
I play ZS every so often, got banned from a server I frequented for bhopping.

:(
Allah's Snackbar is best food place.

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »
I still love TTT. I was playing that shit like crazy when it came back. I only stopping going on because the somewhat frequent crashes were frustrating, especially since it would always happen when the server started getting 8+ people on it.

I'd STILL play TTT if the server was up and people were on. I don't play on other servers because I don't feel like meeting new people. Plus my backlog keeps growing. (Recently got semi-addicted to MGO3.)

I just really enjoy being a traitor in TTT. Not many multiplayer experiences that let's ya fuck with people like that.

All of this. The server crashes and lack of players.

Offline ๖Ϝцzsioᴎ

• Windows UserLinux UserCat LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +379
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
it's full of children who scream and want to be thepewdiepie

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »
All of this. The server crashes and lack of players.

A lot of people stopped coming because of the server crashes :/  so they were pretty linked together.

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
  • Respect: +1837
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 02:22:48 AM »
My interest in Gmod died out when old ZS became less frequented. I know it was inevitable and uncontrollable, but that long downtime the servers had really bruised what player base we had. When the fun people I got to know stopped playing on the servers, well it just wasn't the same for me anymore, and I moved on to playing other games.

I am not one to hop servers either, so I couldn't find it in myself to play on another server. For me it was random or nothing, still is. I still come on the forums and check out everything, because this is still my community, but gmod just really lost its flavor. I'd say if the same people from then were still playing, I probably would be too.
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline [Valor]iPounce

• My Waifu
  • Old Forum MemberWindows UserLeague PlayerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Fun things are Fun
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 06:22:02 AM »
It's either playing with friends on ZS or fucking around in TTT

"ς๏๏lzєl๔ค๔": WE RACIST
"KHMarie12": Fapping
"KHMarie12": lolwat; coolzeldad: iPounce stop making me think that I'm being ddos'd
[10:28] LazerBlade1: give me the thing

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
   There just isn't enough time and need for me to play Gmod or any other game for that matter, even War Thunder. That being said, I'd still play some L4D2 if people who I used to play it with would also agree to play. :)

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
My interest in Gmod died out when old ZS became less frequented. I know it was inevitable and uncontrollable, but that long downtime the servers had really bruised what player base we had. When the fun people I got to know stopped playing on the servers, well it just wasn't the same for me anymore, and I moved on to playing other games.

I am not one to hop servers either, so I couldn't find it in myself to play on another server. For me it was random or nothing, still is. I still come on the forums and check out everything, because this is still my community, but gmod just really lost its flavor. I'd say if the same people from then were still playing, I probably would be too.

I found gmod to be dead after garry fucked a lot of things up with Gmod 13 and discontinued his support for Gmod entirely, in favor of Rust (which is a pretty good game still). Radioactive Sandbox was my ultimate favorite gamemode but Gmod 13 has a completely different lua format than previous editions, thus destroying that gamemode and many, many others. Not to mention the severe lack of documentation to learn the language for gmod usage. I guess 20 year old me doesn't find it interesting anymore as opposed to 14 year old me when I first started out.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
Gmod 13 has a completely different lua format than previous editions, thus destroying that gamemode and many, many others. Not to mention the severe lack of documentation to learn the language for gmod usage.

Scratch the earlier statement.

The documentation for g13 though is still EXTENSIVE compared to the older version.

Gmod13 can do wayyyy more than it used to. It's practically an easier version of Source SDK, but with more utility if you don't know C or how to make custom modules.

The only reason nobody bothered updating older gamemodes is because the original creators of them usually lost interest by the time 13 was out. I've ported so many scripts from older versions of gmod man, and it's literally as easy as finding out what an old depricated function was changed to and renaming it. Most of the time too, it's just one little hitch that stops the gamemode from loading. A clusterfuck of errors can usually be solved by patching one little hole.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:12:34 PM by Deathie »

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:03:38 AM »
+2
Not really, other than to minge around in servers or to play TTT seriously every once a while.

I enjoyed old ZS and TTT while they were popular, but the way they were when they had their several comebacks were pretty heartbreaking; seeing how dead the servers were compared to 3-5 years ago.

There are no other servers with the charm and personality of RND, which is the main reason why I don't play GMOD anymore.

I'm still up to a game or two of L4D2 if you guys wanna play one day. Or some CSGO. It's been a while since I've talked/played with any of you guys.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
Ironically. Gmod is more popular than it's ever really been really since it's constantly in the top 10. Often top 5.

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »
+1
Ironically. Gmod is more popular than it's ever really been really since it's constantly in the top 10. Often top 5.
Yeah, but there is also a huge oversaturation of severs now too. Part of the problem of why it's harder to get new members from when the servers were still up was because there were literally thousands of other servers to choose from. It also didn't help that the server crashed when we got people on there.

It really sucks that coolz shut down the servers. I know he did it for good reason, but I feel like a part of my late childhood was shut down as well.

Unless I ever find a GMOD community that's as great as RND; GMOD is a relic in the past for me.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 01:36:27 AM »
+3
Coolzie, would you be against me hosting a server under the RND name like I did when the servers went down the first time and I hosted a ZS?

That ZS 2.0 with my modified FA:S2 weapons sounded like a fun project to try out.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!