Author Topic: NASA's SLS just passed its CDR  (Read 76 times)

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
NASA's SLS just passed its CDR
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »
+1
This is a huge step for NASA's SLS (Space Launch System).  Being on my school's rocket team, it's really interesting to see them going through the same process they have us go through.  The CDR (Critical Design Review) is pretty much saying "Hey, our rocket is going to work.  We're ready to build the actual thing."  This is the first time in nearly 40 years that a human-rated spacecraft from NASA has passed a CDR, and it's really exciting.  Can't wait for the first launch in 2018!

Oh, also, SLS got a new paint-job:

Spoiler: Old (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: New (click to show/hide)

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-completes-critical-design-review-for-space-launch-system

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
Re: NASA's SLS just passed its CDR
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
cool

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »
I thought nasa retired the space shuttle because they were done sending humans up, relying in russia now.
Isn't the private sector inching towards that now with companies like spaceX?

If Nasa is getting back in the game here, hell yeah!

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:50 AM »
NASA has stopped sending humans to the International Space Station with our own launches.  We've learned nearly as much as we can from it, so NASA turned away and started focusing its tiny budget on the next stage- which is getting further from Earth, capturing asteroids, and eventually going to Mars in the 30's.

So, yes, NASA is really pushing for the private sector to take up transportation to Low-Earth Orbit.  This way, NASA doesn't need to rely on Russian launches to get us up there, and NASA can focus on other, BIGGER, things. 

It seems to be like this:  NASA has become an expert on getting to LEO, and it has no reason to keep doing it.  So, now, it's time for private companies to become the experts, while NASA becomes the expert on getting to places like asteroids and Mars.  And I bet, after NASA becomes an expert with that, they will have the private sector start doing that stuff so NASA can do even bigger stuff. 

It's mutually beneficial- NASA doesn't want to waste time and money doing stuff they know already, but they would like to continue to be present in LEO anyways, so they get the new guys to help out with that instead.

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 02:44:18 AM »
+3
The new paint job looks like something out of the Kerbal Space Program.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!