Author Topic: How is RND?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
Re: How is RND?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
+1
still miss TTT
I also miss TTT.
fellow TTT-misser reporting in

Lately, I've just been making gmod addons and practicing wrapping my head around coding logic with lua.

For like half a year I was running a TTT with a few hard-coded modifications. At the time, FA:S2 wasn't really that popular and the only weapon port for TTT was M9K weapons, which fucking suck, so I ported the FA:S2 base and modded it to work with TTT.

I started out running a totally vanilla server, with the exception of the ported FA:S2 base. I guess that was enough to draw people in, because practically every night we'd fill up and hit the 24 player capacity.

Over time, I added some other stuff like player model selection, a CSGOish crosshair customization system, dynamic music kits similar to CSGO, all of which were either heavily modified references or written totally from scratch.

The biggest thing I did though, was make a Borderlands-like weighted RNG system for weapons. Guns would have values tied to them that affected their reload, firing speed, damage, capacity, and accuracy. They even glowed and shit. That seemed to skyrocket the servers popularity and we were sitting comfortably in the top 400 on gametracker for a few months and almost never hit 0/24.

I started losing interest in the server, though, and wanted to start working on my own gamemode. I took the server down in favor of using it as a development point for my gamemode. I initially made that TTT server as a testbed for coding. Running a community or having a popular server was never my goal.

I still have the gamemode files, along with all of the tweaks and additions I made to it. It's pretty messy, there's a lot of stuff I coded directly into the gamemode that could have just been hooked, and there's a lot of misc functions and scripts in there that probably don't need to be there. If Coolz has any interest in running a TTT again, I don't mind sweeping through the files and giving him the gamemode.

The server was extremely popular, and I think it could help breathe some new life into RND instead of letting it continue to stagnate.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 05:00:00 AM »

The biggest thing I did though, was make a Borderlands-like weighted RNG system for weapons. Guns would have values tied to them that affected their reload, firing speed, damage, capacity, and accuracy.

It looks refreshing

Offline Cheesicle

• ████████
  • Respect: +841
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Lol holy shit Juan

I'm starting my third year at UC Santa Cruz. Come thru and hmu so we can  :rasta:

Offline Peetah

• League PlayerWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +823
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
+5
Wow its been so long, my heart aches a bit remembering you guys. :)]
Hope you all doing well.
(Reg) Nezz45: peetah are you good with the weight tool?

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »
I fucking love how many old members just happen to see this thread.

Offline ○ Μαρία ○

• Kingdom Bravely Fantasy
  • Badge CreatorDonatorDedicated SummonerDog LoverLinux UserWindows UserApple User
    View More Badges!

• Probably playing FFXIV
  • Respect: +1837
    • KHMarieXII tumblr.
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »
So much FFXIV...
Prox: gibs me dat pic of sabb choking on  a dick

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
+6
Lately, I've just been making gmod addons and practicing wrapping my head around coding logic with lua.

For like half a year I was running a TTT with a few hard-coded modifications. At the time, FA:S2 wasn't really that popular and the only weapon port for TTT was M9K weapons, which fucking suck, so I ported the FA:S2 base and modded it to work with TTT.

I started out running a totally vanilla server, with the exception of the ported FA:S2 base. I guess that was enough to draw people in, because practically every night we'd fill up and hit the 24 player capacity.

Over time, I added some other stuff like player model selection, a CSGOish crosshair customization system, dynamic music kits similar to CSGO, all of which were either heavily modified references or written totally from scratch.

The biggest thing I did though, was make a Borderlands-like weighted RNG system for weapons. Guns would have values tied to them that affected their reload, firing speed, damage, capacity, and accuracy. They even glowed and shit. That seemed to skyrocket the servers popularity and we were sitting comfortably in the top 400 on gametracker for a few months and almost never hit 0/24.

I started losing interest in the server, though, and wanted to start working on my own gamemode. I took the server down in favor of using it as a development point for my gamemode. I initially made that TTT server as a testbed for coding. Running a community or having a popular server was never my goal.

I still have the gamemode files, along with all of the tweaks and additions I made to it. It's pretty messy, there's a lot of stuff I coded directly into the gamemode that could have just been hooked, and there's a lot of misc functions and scripts in there that probably don't need to be there. If Coolz has any interest in running a TTT again, I don't mind sweeping through the files and giving him the gamemode.

The server was extremely popular, and I think it could help breathe some new life into RND instead of letting it continue to stagnate.

Yeah if your interested, I could setup a server for you to play around with it.

Unfortunately, I've been sick for over a month now, twice with the same thing, so I haven't been on as much as I normally am, but if you're interested I can start to do that.
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Loke

• Click Click
  • Windows UserCat Lover
    View More Badges!

• Boom
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »

Unfortunately, I've been sick for over a month now, twice with the same thing, so I haven't been on as much as I normally am, but if you're interested I can start to do that.

Yay!

Aw...

Yay!
Allah's Snackbar is best food place.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »

Sick? shieeeeet. Feel better man :(

Offline Deathie

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2069
    • Some music shit I made
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »

I'm running my own server for coding and dev testing, the last thing I'd want to do is make a mess and give you something bug riddled and have to have you constantly update it or something.

I'll clean it up and make sure that everything is working like it should before sending it to you. I just figured I'd give it to a community who would use it instead of just uploading it on the workshop. It's not like it's anything amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it is something I invested a lot of time into and has some sentimental value.

Gmod has turned into a disgusting cesspit of servers that flood users with a billion different player model downloads and pointshop paywalls to access free workshop content. I didn't want to see places like that using the Borderlands weapon system to sell players high stat guns or something and continue to let them profit off of others' works. One of the things that made this place so great was that there was never any money grubbing for "donations". It was just something you felt like doing, and your primary directive was "community" not "profit".

The gamemode uses the entire suite of FA:S2 weapons, although CW is becoming more popular now so I might switch it to that at some point.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, I'll message you sometime soon. Give me a couple days to clean up the code and package it up for you.

Check out my Soundcloud for some neat stuff!

Offline Foofoojack

• Ộ_Ộ
  • Respect: +546
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 02:06:49 AM »
oh...hey!

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 12:31:26 PM »
oh...hey!
Oh shit, haven't seen you in a while.

Offline accelleon

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• OS Dev is the black magic of programming.
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
+1
*sneaks in after Cable randomly friended me on steam today* Decided to come check on the forums once again :3
I'm back and playing gmod again!

Offline Seb

• Respect: +783
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
*sneaks in after Cable randomly friended me on steam today* Decided to come check on the forums once again :3

Where the TTT players at? I got on after a weekend of "not having paid the internet bill in three months" and now nobody even launches gmod

Anybody wanna coordinate a game? Even with the people who don't play it anymore?
Miami's Finest

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
It was going very strong, then BOOM midterms hit.  Whenever I'm here, I'd absolutely love to play.