Author Topic: Life Help : Post SAT and middle of junior year.  (Read 72 times)

Offline Alphaggot

• Thats the race I wanna play
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberLeague PlayerDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• 지금 now is the 비 coming down
  • Respect: +582
Life Help : Post SAT and middle of junior year.
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
I recently managed to nab an SAT score that can get me into a plethora of colleges. I'm a junior in high school and also have an AP class coupled with good grades in my other classes. The problem is... now what? I'm at the point where I'm going to be picking a college soon and have two majors I'm interested in.

But I have no idea what college to pick, and I don't want my mom spending so much on my education. I don't know if I'll be accepted into the college I want. The majors I'm interested in (Computer Engineering and Ornithology) are either competitive within the jobs or don't pay out compared to college costs. I'm afraid my study habits in school won't compare to college study habits.

TL;DR - I have first world problems and am afraid of the future. I'm sorry if I come off as pretentious, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it in this market, nulling the work I've done in the past three years. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:37:01 PM by Alphaggot »

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
Re: Life Help : Post SAT and middle of junior year.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
I'll start by saying this:  I am a college freshman at a smaller university (Tarleton State University).  While it is not a community college, it is smaller than most well-known places.  My brother is a senior at Texas A&M, and actually studies computer engineering.  Because of this, I have a pretty clear understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of different types of schools, so I hope that what I say is adequate.

So, there are a few factors.  Are you willing to go out-of-state?  Are you looking for a big school or small school?  How big of an issue is cost? 

Out of state is typically more expensive than going somewhere in your own state.  However, it may be a better option, looking at the long run (Would employers rather see you having a degree from "Middle-a-Nowhere Community College", or "Well-Known Good College"?).  Also, figure in travel expenses.  The further away you are, the less you will be visiting home. 

Now, school size is actually much more important than it may seem.  Each have advantages and disadvantages.  Small schools, of course, have lower numbers.  This means that you will see familiar faces every day, and there may not be many people like you.  Also, because classes are also smaller, you have the opportunity to build a much better relationship with your professors, which may mean they will be compassionate/forgiving towards you when you mess up.  At large colleges, it's almost all opposite.  You almost never see the same person twice.  Because of the large population, the chances of there being someone like you are much higher.  Large classes mean it will be tough to befriend the professors, however, it is possible by sitting close to the front and engaging with them often.  Another factor may be campus size: at small places, you can walk across campus in 10 minutes, while at large places, it would take 25.

Last is cost.  This also ties in with the previous two.  Like I said, out of state is more expensive in a couple ways.  Large colleges may be more expensive as well.  They are large for a reason: they are good.  Expect to pay more for large colleges than small colleges.  There are meal plans, tuition fees, housing, and textbook costs to account for.  To help buffer against this, I strongly, and I cannot emphasize this enough, recommend that you start looking for scholarships.  I did not, and it was a horrible mistake.  Scholarships will definitely help out with whatever you want to do.

In my opinion, I would prefer a larger school.  This way, I would have more people like me to hang out with.  At my school, I'm pretty lonely, and it does get to you.  Social life is extremely important in college because it helps you keep whatever sanity you may have left.  Also, I know that because of where I go, people don't really transfer in- they transfer out.  This means I will be stuck with the same people for as long as I go here.  I love my professors and classes here, but honestly, I would expect my future employers to want to see a degree from another well-known school, rather than where I currently go.  Like I said earlier, it all really depends on what you want. 

Just a recommendation:  I plan to transfer to Texas A&M University eventually for Mechanical Engineering.  They have a damn good engineering program, one of the best in the country.  Going to A&M also gives many benefits later in life; employers who graduated from there will be very likely to hire you, simply because you went there.

I hope what I said can help you out.  Good luck, and work hard.