Author Topic: The community.  (Read 330 times)

Offline accelleon

• Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• OS Dev is the black magic of programming.
  • Respect: +20
The community.
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
+2
It's so sad. I've just returned from another loss of internet and to check up on the community that really got me into online, PC gaming. I see the community in a crawl, half the servers and nearly dead forums. It's sad to see the community that got me into online gaming in such a state. While I guess some grew into new games and communities, and others had to return to life, its painful. I only wish I could have spent more time in the community (i had to of missed a year all together during the periods of no internet). This community will always have a place in my heart, and i won't forget any of the good times i had on the wirebuild server. I wish this community luck in waking from its slumber, hopefully one day.
I'm back and playing gmod again!

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
Re: The community.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
I can't say I ever knew you, but I know just how you feel.  We are still on teamspeak, and have a couple Gmod servers, though.  The Fretta server is usually occupied, and there is a ttt/darkrp/zs server thing.  But yeah, hop on ts3 if you ever want to chat.

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:13:49 AM »
+1

Offline ٶȻhriʂ

• AIM, IT IS ABOUT PRECISION
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• THEY TALK ABOUT MY 1 TAPS
  • Respect: +394
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:29:54 AM »
The only reason I'm not playing right now is because my PC is a sack of shit.

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:12 AM »
+12
I think something more sad would probably be to find a 404 page where it used to be, and I think what's impressive is that it's still around for almost its' 8th year. :party:

Also, for the first 2 years we didn't have more than a handful of "regular" members and didn't even have a website, and the first year or so after that the website was barely used for regular applications for the wire build server. :ghost:

A lot of people tend to look at rNd as the late 2009- early 2012 block where the Garry's Mod servers were in the top #10 almost all the time, and more importantly there was a mix of "regular" members and new people. :dukenukem:

I tend to look at it as the whole thing, and so it means way different to me than anyone else I suppose. :asian:

In one light I spent WAYY too much time I shouldn't have developing for and interacting with the people in this community, and in my light I would do the same thing, and have until this day more or less haha. :o

It may not be as active as it was when you joined or enjoyed playing on the servers, but I think members still have fun together, especially on teamspeak playing MC, l4d2, LoL, etc., posting updates about themselves or internet stuffs on the forums, and other stuff. :rasta:

We do have a full fretta server during certain periods in the weekdays and on the weekends, however they are almost always solely new people and I don't believe they have any reason to want to join the forums. :no:

I have personally lost interest in Garry's Mod as a game a while ago, and yet while I even still enjoy making things for the servers, unfortunately it's been proven I am not capable of sustaining our members' interest right now with the time I have available. :-[

Nobody really knows where the community is headed, even with my plans through the years I didn't expect any of what happened and most of the time I didn't really think about it too far ahead. :idk:

I have thought about it lots over the years but I don't have plans for the community to die. :knife:

Either way, I'll be here and can remember pretty much every person that has ever made a presence. :book:

I have every contribution saved and marked with a time and person. O0

I can remember so many different struggles and fun times and successes. :))

Creating, maintaining, and being a part of this community has been truly amazing. :yes:

Anyway I think I've said enough for now, thanks for posting your thoughts. :gtfo:
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Cable

• hi
  • Respect: +1085
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:28:58 AM »
+2
RND 4 life

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
o7

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Astropilot

• Infinitus Tabula Rasa
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• A little bit morass
  • Respect: +1207
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
+3
RnD is our gang. The server is our hood. The games we play is our court. Feesh is life, yo.

Inspirational quotes don't do jack until you do something yourself

Offline ๖Ϝцzsioᴎ

• Windows UserLinux UserCat LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +379
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:23:20 PM »
Honestly, being here since 2011 pains me to see the community fall, I remember using auto connect to join a full server, now there's barely anyone playing TTT or Fretta; I supposes that's life with my countless ragequits and such, o7 RND o fuckin' 7

Atleast we still have the forums and the TS, I still lurk around, and sometimes post.

Offline Tezuni

• Respect: +162
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
+1
Ah the good old days of 2011-2012 lol.  Well said Coolz, very touching.    :'(

After RnD fizzled I lost interest in gmod too, because this community's servers are where I felt at home.  I host popular games servers for another game on my own VPS since about 2008 and always fiddled with the idea of supporting rNd like Snivy did with his ZS server, but yeah, it's a lot of work to keep servers up.  Between work, school, and other life stuff, being a popular server hoster is exhausting.  In some games everyday it crashes, gets glitched, or something that requires manual effort.  The fact we had rNd for the time we did is great.  If I could no longer host for some reason, I suppose I would try to find someone to take over for me if possible.  But I guess that can be difficult for a variety of reasons.     

Offline Ἆxule

• Respect: +579
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
+2
I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who browse through the forums regularly just to see how things are going. With me going to college soon, I don't really have time to play games all of the time and be an active member, but I do enjoy still be considered a member of the rNd community.

Offline saivon

• Break the sound barrier, cause a sound boom
  • Windows UserDog LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Break the time barrier, cause a time boom
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »
Maybe rnd does not just have to revolve around gmod and other games maybe we can just try to make this community bigger (Idk how just suggesting stuff) like perhaps we can focus on recruiting people and maybe even doing a new rnd forum? so when we have new people they can go into different categories and talk about games sort of like sub sections if you will like on for csgo and one for league and soya etc and people can talk about that stuff and have fun and yeh, Idk just speaking some ideas, (I do realize the fact of a new forum will take a lot of work too).

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
+2
I think today proves. (er Yesterday.)

The problem isn't really the community. It's the fact we aren't growing. (Which means people can't go and come when they want, let we used to be able to do on the server.)
We had 12-18 people on for like 5 or so hours on TTT.  It didn't even take that long to get everyone. It was great.

The problem is new people aren't coming it.
Like 95% of the people on the server were rNd members. No new people were coming in really.

No idea how to fix that really though. Maybe go spam websites/groups or some shit.
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline Lazer Blade

• dat ass tho
  • Windows UserDWO PlayerLeague PlayerApple User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +366
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 12:33:38 AM »
+5
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE

Offline saivon

• Break the sound barrier, cause a sound boom