Author Topic: Check my build!  (Read 117 times)

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

• PANZERKAMPHWAGON SCHADENFREUDE
  • Respect: +503
Check my build!
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
+1
Hey guys!  I'm finally getting a BRAND NEW COMPUTER!  I've been using the same computer I'm on right now for about 7 years.  I do not know what it's like to play Planetside 2, DayZ, Space Engineers, FTB Minecraft, Natural Selection 2, Metro 2033, and many other higher-end games.  SO, I would like you lovely people to look over my build before I buy it tomorrow. 

Monorail's New PC

Offline Goat

• Windows UserDog LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +178
Re: Check my build!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
Hey sorry no one has posted yet, but here's my analysis:

A budget would be nice, because then I'd know what I can change and what I can't. I'm going to assume that you're budget is under $750, so I'll work with that.

CPU: AMD seems perfectly reasonable for a budget build, although they run hot as hell and I didn't see an aftermarket cooler in your list, so if you're comfortable with your CPU running around 50C idle, don't bother, if not, get a Hyper 212 for around $30.

Mobo: Seems like a generic AMD mobo, no problems there.

Memory: You can definitely get that same RAM a bit cheaper, it's all the same anyways.

Storage: Great choice, WD is a great brand and my 1TB Caviar Black is still going strong after 5 years.

Video Card: I have problems here. Unless you absolutely NEED Nvidia, you should use AMD for a budget build. I went ahead and added a 280x, which performs on the same level as a GTX 770, but is $60 more than your 760. If you need the Nvidia features, go ahead and ignore this suggestion.

Case: A case is entirely up the you. It's not my business to change as I feel it's more of a personal thing when building a PC.

PSU: Corsair is a great brand, but in my expierence, 650w isn't a good buy. It's not enough for Crossfire/SLI but is overkill for single GPU configurations. PCPartPicker has your estimated power withdraw at 474w. I went ahead and kept the 650w though, simply because this PSU is fully modular and not that expensive. EVGA is a decent brand as well.

Optical Drive: heh, I thought everyone used flash drives for installing your OS now, but it's entirely up to you.

Anyways, here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7Vc2WZ

Also, I typed this all out before I read your post, so it looks like I'm too late. Too bad, I'm not deleting this all.

Offline Monorail Cat

• "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are mlg pro" -JFK
  • Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
Well, thanks for putting in all the effort that you did.  About needing the nvidia card:  I like the shadowplay feature, because I always do epic things in games when I'm not recording.  After posting this and before purchasing, I made several changes to the parts and where they would be bought.  But, now I have my new PC sitting next to me, and it works like a charm!  I'm very very happy with it.  Thanks again, and sorry, I guess...

Offline HideoKojima

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +489
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU?

Isn't that bad to have. (Or maybe people are just against it.)
*Insert witty comment here*

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU?

Isn't that bad to have. (Or maybe people are just against it.)
People are just against it.

And congrats on the new PC, Cat!

Offline Monorail Cat

• Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
Thankya

Offline ๖Ϝцzsioᴎ

• Windows UserLinux UserCat LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +379
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:50 PM »
Fair warning Mono, the hard drive is LOUD, fucking CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK 24/7

Offline Monorail Cat

• Windows UserDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »
+1
Fair warning Mono, the hard drive is LOUD, fucking CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK 24/7

Good thing I'm not hearing it