Poll

How many of you actually read this thread?

I do.
9 (45%)
I read some of it.
8 (40%)
I don't.
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: New Gender Options for Facebook Users  (Read 719 times)

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverBest Signature 2013
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
  • Respect: +1648
New Gender Options for Facebook Users
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:58:03 AM »
+2
New Gender Options for Facebook Users
It is an undisputed fact that there are only two genders: male and female. Not according to the progressives. I also think it's worth mentioning that out of 3 people who were interviewed in this video 1 is a jew, another one is a transfaggot and third one is an LGBT/transgender-activist. How adorable.
   Now seriously, how in the hell are there people who actually think that this is okay or that it makes sense? You might say that if I don't like it I shouldn't care especially since I don't use Facebook but the thing is that shit like this is not going to stop here it will spread further just like LGBT "values" are right now, not to mention that it's only a matter of time until liberals think of a new form of degeneracy to spread around.
Discuss.
Yes, I'm that desperate for a discussion.

Offline Sabb

• 2009 Snowball Competition WinnerWindows UserOld Forum MemberDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +2400
Re: New Gender Options for Facebook Users
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »
+4
The traditional concept of gender (male and female) has become a lot more complicated than it once was.

[MASS NOUN] the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones):

Personally while I have no problem with the LGTB community, I find altering the definition of gender to be going to a bit of an extreme... In my opinion, gender should be only defined by which sex you are because that's always been my understanding of it. When asked what gender I am whether it be for documentation on something or a personal question, I never assume the person wants to know my sexual preference because it's generally irrelevant. If I want to know someone's sexual orientation I would ask what their sexual orientation is, not gender. I guess people are wanting to change this in support of the LGTB community, however?

It's cool that everyone's becoming so supportive of people who have differences or specifically different sexual orientations, but I feel like the whole gender definition thing is a bit unnecessary. Especially because people absolutely use this kind of thing for the wrong reason. What I mean is when a person's asked "Are you male or female?" and they respond as if they're offended "What about pansexual, transexual, etc, etc because I'm neither of those I would like to be called a transexual!" While I again have no issue with anyone who has a different sexual orientation than me, I find that very irritating because I don't think people like that are expressing it for the right reason. If you're being asked that, chances are the person REALLY doesn't want to know or need to know what you prefer to do with your genitals. For example, if you're filling out an application for a job and rather than checking male or female you write in pangender or really anything not male or female, chance are you're not going to be taken seriously. Not because it's different but because it's too much information. It's often used for attention in my opinion. I'm absolutely not saying everyone does that though, just some very irritating people. Basically majority of Tumblr for example.

On a side note I understand that for transexuals it could be hard to decide to be identified by male or female, but usually they like to identify themselves as one gender anyways. So I still don't really see it necessary to have trans-male, trans-female etc. Though I don't find that quite as big of a deal as people wanting actual sexual orientations to be noted for gender such as something like female-bisexual since I've heard arguments with people actually wanting that option.

TL;DR I have no issue with the LGTB community, but I feel this is unnecessary.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:06:28 AM by Sabb »

Lithuanian pride world wide!: sun doesnt revolve around the sun

Offline qt

• Windows User
    View More Badges!

• Ba-Da-Bing!
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »

Check ur privilege!!!!
Signatures are stupid

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
+1
I entirely disagree with the LGTB's unnecessary advancements a whole. It IS unnecessary to have 50 different definitions of a gender, just because someone has a mental issue where they can't decide if they are a girl or a boy based on whether they have male or female genitalia. I don't believe you can be "genderless" or "nonbinary" or this cis woman/cis man bullshit, just because you feel "uncomfortable" with who you are. The only time where you would claim yourself that is if you were born with an extremely rare, genetic disease where you have no genitalia. Like seriously, this was a stupid addition on facebook's part, just to pander for a unnecessary cause.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:12:27 AM by Cake Faice »

Offline coolzeldad

• OwnerDonatorOld Forum MemberrNd DeveloperLinux UserWindows UserDog LoverLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• I eat ddos for breakfast OMNOMONOM
  • Respect: +2711
    • .:`=-~rANdOm~`-=:. Game Servers
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
+3
On facebook's part, I just see it as pure marketing.

- By increasing the options you open your social platform to a new or revitalized market.
 - By increasing the variety you stir up controversy, or press, regarding your social platform.

Especially important for a platform that revolves around the differences of people I suppose.
 ▲
▲▲Big thanks to Marie for this awesome sprite! :3

Spoiler: Moar Imagez (click to show/hide)
pingaz
Thanks Cryptokid!

Thanks gamefreak!

-- My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/coolzeldad
-- My deviantart: http://coolzeldad.deviantart.com
-- My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/coolzeldad
-- My ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz
-- My twitchtv: http://www.twitch.tv/coolzeldad

-- rNd Wiki: http://wiki.randomgs.com
-- rNd Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/RandomgsProductions
-- rNd Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/r_A_N_d_O_m

Spoiler: rNd Typography (click to show/hide)

Every time you download Garry's Mod illegally, Garry makes a bug.

When people ask me "Plz" because its shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because its shorter than "Yes".

derp herp lerp perp kerp serp zerp - say faiv timez fazt

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
  • Respect: +1541
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
On facebook's part, I just see it as pure marketing.

- By increasing the options you open your social platform to a new or revitalized market.
 - By increasing the variety you stir up controversy, or press, regarding your social platform.

Especially important for a platform that revolves around the differences of people I suppose.
Mark Zuckerberg

Zuckerberg

berg

Offline yoshi

• as I said, pretty nice.
  • Old Forum MemberWindows UserDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +377
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »
+1
just add an alien option

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
Mark Zuckerberg

Zuckerberg

berg
/pol/ is always right.

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
+3
To be fair I might be able to argue for 3 - 4 gender classifications in total. Since there have been a reasonable amount of people born with both sets of genitalia, so classifying people like that is a bit more complicated than what is for most people. Granted I'm not sure a medical condition like that is exactly something that would I want to make public on my Facebook...

Overall definitely a case of Facebook taking a ride on the bandwagon for some publicity. But seriously what do they need to advertise for? They have like 1.2 billion user accounts, there is only so much market penetration that is possible.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »
+2
does anyone on this forum actually know like, anything about gender

except maybe xrain

To be fair I might be able to argue for 3 - 4 gender classifications in total. Since there have been a reasonable amount of people born with both sets of genitalia, so classifying people like that is a bit more complicated than what is for most people. Granted I'm not sure a medical condition like that is exactly something that would I want to make public on my Facebook...

Overall definitely a case of Facebook taking a ride on the bandwagon for some publicity. But seriously what do they need to advertise for? They have like 1.2 billion user accounts, there is only so much market penetration that is possible.

If facebook doesn't need the money, it stands to reason that they're doing it because it's actually a good thing. A lot of the people who benefit from this are actual employees working at facebook. They had the opportunity and they took it.

It is an undisputed fact that there are only two genders: male and female. Not according to the progressives. I also think it's worth mentioning that out of 3 people who were interviewed in this video 1 is a jew, another one is a transfaggot and third one is an LGBT/transgender-activist. How adorable.
   Now seriously, how in the hell are there people who actually think that this is okay or that it makes sense? You might say that if I don't like it I shouldn't care especially since I don't use Facebook but the thing is that shit like this is not going to stop here it will spread further just like LGBT "values" are right now, not to mention that it's only a matter of time until liberals think of a new form of degeneracy to spread around.
Discuss.

please tell me you're being sarcastic here

also, although there are about 50 new terms a lot of them mean the same thing

it's mostly a matter of letting people be more comfortable with themselves in as many public settings as possible, a lot of people genuinely don't identify with one gender or another because of a variety of things like hormone imbalances, past trauma, etc.

at least look up gender dysphoria/gender identity disorder on wikipedia before you start speaking so authoritatively on this, I would consider that much to be the minimum amount of information before you should even form an opinion on this

Symptoms of GID in children include disgust at their own genitalia, social isolation from their peers, anxiety, loneliness and depression.[11] According to the American Psychological Association, transgender children are likelier than other children to experience harassment and violence in school, foster care, residential treatment centers, homeless centers and juvenile justice programs.[12]

Adults with GID are at increased risk for stress, isolation, anxiety, depression, poor self-esteem and suicide.[11] Transgender women are likelier than other people to smoke cigarettes and abuse alcohol and other drugs. In the United States, transgender women have a higher suicide rate than others, both before and after gender reassignment surgery,[11] and are at heightened risk for certain mental disorders.[13]

Transgender people are often harassed, socially excluded, subjected to discrimination, abuse, violence and murder.[11][14] In the United States, transgender people are less likely than others to have health insurance, and often face hostility and insensitivity from healthcare providers.[15]

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »
does anyone on this forum actually know like, anything about gender

except maybe xrain
Do you know anything about it yourself?
please tell me you're being sarcastic here

also, although there are about 50 new terms a lot of them mean the same thing

it's mostly a matter of letting people be more comfortable with themselves in as many public settings as possible, a lot of people genuinely don't identify with one gender or another because of a variety of things like hormone imbalances, past trauma, etc.

at least look up gender dysphoria/gender identity disorder on wikipedia before you start speaking so authoritatively on this, I would consider that much to be the minimum amount of information before you should even form an opinion on this
Are you seriously trying to tell me that people with certain illnesses/disorders means that they're different gender? Perhaps you'd also agree that gender is a "social construct"?

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +728
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »
+1
Are you saying gender is not a social construct? Because it definitely is. It's about classifying people into their social roles they fulfill. Males are considered as "strong, working, an authority, fatherly, limiting", and females are "delicate, motherly, emotional, tender". Also females are supposed to wear dresses and skirts, and men shirts and pants. But what happens if a man feels comfortable in skirts and decides to start using them? Now, he doesn't fit into the male/man role he's suppoed to be in. What happens if, also, he is not as "authoritative" or "fatherly" as he "should" be, and rather feels motherly? He would get buried in shit by people who think he should not be like that. That's genders and their limitations very shortly explained.

Offline ursus

• Linux UserCat LoverWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• drunkposting is the music of the soul
  • Respect: +1518
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
+4
Do you know anything about it yourself?

Are you seriously trying to tell me that people with certain illnesses/disorders means that they're different gender? Perhaps you'd also agree that gender is a "social construct"?

a forum full of only cis people is about as qualified to discuss gender as a forum of only white people are qualified to discuss race

the only reason sex is related to gender at all is because your endocrine system produces hormones and reproductive cells, and those hormones affect the growth of your body and your brain as well as influencing the way you think, act, and respond to outside stimuli

anything else that affects the growth of your brain can have a bearing on gender, like social environment and past trauma

gender is not fully a social construct, but it spawns many social constructs like gender roles, which can both influence and be influenced by gender. this essentially means that while gender exists without social constructs, social constructs can modify it over time

so yes, if someone has a natural hormone imbalance or a certain upbringing/set of experiences that causes the way gender forms in their mind to be outside of the traditional binary of male and female or simply on the other side of the binary (hence the latin prefix trans- being used), they can absolutely be considered a different gender

since these differences can come in a lot of forms, it's to be expected that there would be multiple terms for multiple variations. for example, genderfluid and genderqueer are two different things, but can also be considered a sub-set of nonbinary because genderqueer people's identities is never distinctly male or female, and a genderfluid individual's gender can change over time

the issue with this is that when your sex and gender line up perfectly, (hence the term "cisgender") it's hard to see them as two distinctly separate entities and so being told that they can separate or change independently of one another is hard to believe for the overwhelming majority of people

nobody's even asking you to change your own life to any noticeable extent, all that's being asked of you is to acknowledge that differences exist and that this particular minority (and all of them, really) deserves the same rights and privileges as you do

Offline ๖Ϝцzsioᴎ

• Windows UserLinux UserCat LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +379
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
-snip snap-

Offline Prox

• WORLD MEME DATABASE
    View More Badges!

• The mosquito man
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
Good God I have never thought that a day would come when someone would use such terms as cis-gender and genderqueer seriously on these forums.

Are you saying gender is not a social construct? Because it definitely is. It's about classifying people into their social roles they fulfill. Males are considered as "strong, working, an authority, fatherly, limiting", and females are "delicate, motherly, emotional, tender". Also females are supposed to wear dresses and skirts, and men shirts and pants. But what happens if a man feels comfortable in skirts and decides to start using them? Now, he doesn't fit into the male/man role he's suppoed to be in. What happens if, also, he is not as "authoritative" or "fatherly" as he "should" be, and rather feels motherly? He would get buried in shit by people who think he should not be like that. That's genders and their limitations very shortly explained.
It definitely isn't. Each gender has different physique as well as different hormones which directly result in males being "strong, working, an authority, fatherly, limiting" and females being "delicate, motherly, emotional, tender".
Young boys play with toy cars and girls play with dolls not because they're being thought to do this because it is their "gender role" but because that's what their own mind which is effected by certain hormones tell them to.
You can also just take a look at the animal kingdom too, even the genders of the least intelligent animals operate the same way and share same differences between them because of different hormones.

a forum full of only cis people is about as qualified to discuss gender as a forum of only white people are qualified to discuss race
If anything, a room full of "cis-people" is the most qualified to discuss gender.

the only reason sex is related to gender at all is because your endocrine system produces hormones and reproductive cells, and those hormones affect the growth of your body and your brain as well as influencing the way you think, act, and respond to outside stimuli
This is the only reason you need to know in order be sure that there can be only two genders.

so yes, if someone has a natural hormone imbalance or a certain upbringing/set of experiences that causes the way gender forms in their mind to be outside of the traditional binary of male and female or simply on the other side of the binary (hence the latin prefix trans- being used), they can absolutely be considered a different gender
No they can't, the can be considered as having a disorder.

since these differences can come in a lot of forms, it's to be expected that there would be multiple terms for multiple variations. for example, genderfluid and genderqueer are two different things, but can also be considered a sub-set of nonbinary because genderqueer people's identities is never distinctly male or female, and a genderfluid individual's gender can change over time

the issue with this is that when your sex and gender line up perfectly, (hence the term "cisgender") it's hard to see them as two distinctly separate entities and so being told that they can separate or change independently of one another is hard to believe for the overwhelming majority of people
I really don't even know how I should even properly respond to this argument of yours. The fact that gender cannot change is obvious even to a 12 year old.

nobody's even asking you to change your own life to any noticeable extent, all that's being asked of you is to acknowledge that differences exist and that this particular minority (and all of them, really) deserves the same rights and privileges as you do
Do you really think that it's a good idea to let minorities change our definition of things just so it would appeal to them? The rights of minorities should be considered and respected but the rights of majority shouldn't be questioned.

How can people not realize and understand something as basic as the fact that there are only two genders? I know I'm going to use a strawman for this but seriously this is as basic as the fact that Earth revolves around the Sun. I just cannot comprehend how some people think that there are more genders then just male and female, this is just beyond stupid.