Author Topic: :D  (Read 152 times)

Offline Captain Communism

• What?
  • No really, what?
:D
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
So guess who just got accepted into a really good college with $6000 in annual financial aid?

http://roanoke.edu/

This guy!

(Put into Senior so as to not actually count for or bump anything)

Offline ٶȻhriʂ

• AIM, IT IS ABOUT PRECISION
  • Donator
    View More Badges!

• THEY TALK ABOUT MY 1 TAPS
Re: :D
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »
Congrats, man.

Offline Frank

• Cunt Destroyer
  • Windows UserOld Forum MemberDog LoverCat LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
Awesome! Congratulations on such an achievement.

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
Great job man! Congrats!

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:24:37 AM »

I am proud

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:13:56 AM »
Seems like that is a liberal arts school? What degree are you pursuing?

Holy Shit $48,121 a year???

That's $192,484 for 4 years... (for a STEM degree expect 5 years to be safe so $240,605)

$6000 a year is peanuts for a school like that, that's only $24,000 for your duration. Unless you have a family member paying for the school, or somehow have $200k saved up somewhere, you are going to have a near impossible time paying that much debt off. I would go to that school if the financial aid package made the tuition only $6000 for me.

Student loans usually have a 5% interest rate after you graduate, even if you are going to get an engineering degree you will be paying off that debt for the rest of your life. Keep in mind you will basically be graduating with a home mortgage, but without the home, and the ability to resell it.

If you ever want to work in anything national security related (ie. requires a security clearance) that much debt will disqualify you from being able to get your clearance.

I know it feels good to be accepted to a more prestigious school, but I'd highly recommend choosing a different school if you have to take out loans to cover the difference. You will never get that money back out of that school.

I pay $3000 a semester for upper level tuition (That is the price without any sort of financial aid). I have been in school for 6 years so far and have only paid $36,000. Thankfully I could make enough each summer that I could pay for school without needing to take out any loans.

I doubt whatever job you get will pay 6 times more than what I will be making.

I also got accepted to RIT www.rit.edu, which is also a similarly prestigious school, with a similar price tag. I got a $4000 loan for all 4 years, and a $600 a semester work detail for a financial aid package. I took one look at that package and said hell no, and went to UAF instead. www.uaf.edu

I haven't regretted it a bit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:16:05 AM by Xrain »
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

• What?
  • No really, what?
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »
I intend to be a history professor, which falls into the liberal arts category.
I have other "backups" as well; a program for students with autism, the GI Bill, and other potential scholarships.

Offline Astropilot

• Infinitus Tabula Rasa
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• A little bit morass
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
Still thinking about going to Australia, mate?

Inspirational quotes don't do jack until you do something yourself

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
I intend to be a history professor, which falls into the liberal arts category.
I have other "backups" as well; a program for students with autism, the GI Bill, and other potential scholarships.

Fair enough, I just don't want to see you digging yourself into a hole with debt. The college recruiters always say "Oh don't worry about how to get the money" I have many freinds that are in terrible financial situations because of this.

You will need a doctorate to get a professor position, which means 7 years minimum of schooling.

I would highly recommend going to a standard school that has a good history program, but is still affordable. Then go somewhere awesome for your masters and doctorate degrees as they are the only ones that will really matter in your career.

If your scholarships and such can pay for that school for you, all the power to you. But if they cant it isn't worth it. The only real difference between a really expensive ivy league school, and a regular public school is the connections you make, and the name that gets put on your diploma. The actual teaching is usually about the same quality for the most part, all school have good and bad professors.

Get a degree at a decent undergraduate school, that has a reasonably good name for itself and is accredited. Then go to something like an ivy leaguer for your graduate program.

Your graduate program is where you will make a name for yourself. It is where you will do your masters and doctoral thesis's, and where you will get your first papers published. It is what will generate your name that will get you a professor position.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~

• What?
  • No really, what?
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »
Fair enough, I just don't want to see you digging yourself into a hole with debt. The college recruiters always say "Oh don't worry about how to get the money" I have many freinds that are in terrible financial situations because of this.

You will need a doctorate to get a professor position, which means 7 years minimum of schooling.

I would highly recommend going to a standard school that has a good history program, but is still affordable. Then go somewhere awesome for your masters and doctorate degrees as they are the only ones that will really matter in your career.

If your scholarships and such can pay for that school for you, all the power to you. But if they cant it isn't worth it. The only real difference between a really expensive ivy league school, and a regular public school is the connections you make, and the name that gets put on your diploma. The actual teaching is usually about the same quality for the most part, all school have good and bad professors.

Get a degree at a decent undergraduate school, that has a reasonably good name for itself and is accredited. Then go to something like an ivy leaguer for your graduate program.

Your graduate program is where you will make a name for yourself. It is where you will do your masters and doctoral thesis's, and where you will get your first papers published. It is what will generate your name that will get you a professor position.

Hmm... thanks for the suggestions. I'm applying for others as well, and I intended on a doctorate anyway. My plan is to get my master's, teach at high school for a few years, then work  up enough money from that and tailoring to finish my education.

Offline Cake Faice

• How can society be real
  • Windows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• if our oppresions aren't real?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
ITT: How much of a rip off College's are, but without getting an expensive piece of paper that says you can do something, good-bye future.