Author Topic: Powering a monitor with the same plug as the PSU?  (Read 82 times)

Offline Viole

• Windows UserLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• o_o
  • Respect: +80
Powering a monitor with the same plug as the PSU?
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here it shows a modified PSU that was cut open and had some unnecessary wires removed. I don't think I'll be doing that, but the OP of the thread was able to power his monitor and computer with the same plug using a "junction block."

I have no idea what that is, and if you guys know what it is, can you explain how to use one and where to get one?

Offline Osme

• Feel like whinin'?
  • Linux UserWindows UserOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• Get some wine in.
  • Respect: +331
Re: Powering a monitor with the same plug as the PSU?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
if it fits, it ships. If the cord is the same, it generrally will work. Providing there is no adapter attached to it. Atleast thats what I think youre trying to ssay
Code: [Select]
for(;;) procrastinate = !procrastinate;Damn emoticons

Offline Cable

• hi
  • Respect: +1085
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
Thats interesting, but not very beneficial. Seems like a lot of work to make one less plug.

Offline Viole

• Windows UserLeague PlayerDWO Player
    View More Badges!

• o_o
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
Since it's going to be mobile for school usage/heavy gaming, I need it to take up less plugs because people will complain if I take both plugs on the wall. Also, I don't want to have to bring like a power splitter or w.e

It's also cheaper for me to do this than to buy a new laptop because $300 is no where near enough to replace my laptop, let alone my desktop.

I was hoping one of the people in this community would know something about this power distribution stuff  :-[

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
I'd recommend getting some basic electrician knowledge before fiddling around too much with the 120V supply going into your computer.

What your asking about is a very simple wiring job, and a junction block isn't required to perform it, as there are many ways to do it.

It is one of those things where errors on your part can cause things to break or catch on fire if not assembled in the proper way.

The black cord that runs to your PSU and Monitor is simply a fancy extension cord with a specific plug on the end. The electricity it feeds into your computer is the exact same electricity that is in your wall outlets.

That said on the PSU side of that connecter it plugs into often has components soldered to the leads coming out of it. Not always but quite frequently.

All that is really required is to parallel the matching pin connectors in the sockets with wires. No special modifications or components are needed.

However good electrical practices are required for those connections as you are intending it to be a long term solution.

Talk to me about it on TS3 sometime and I can go over some good options and practices for you, or better yet talk to an electrician friend (as in a professional, unless you are very confident in his DIY skills) and get his advice.
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~