Author Topic: Just Cleaned my Graphics card yet it is still overheating?  (Read 150 times)

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
Just Cleaned my Graphics card yet it is still overheating?
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »

I am fully aware this Computer is shit. I do not currently have the funds to build a new one until after my exams are completed.

However, after removing a lot of dust out of the graphics card after taking it out and putting it back in, It still wants to overheat for some reason.

My Fans are fully 100% overclocked and the area is well ventilated... Anyone can help me would be deeply appreciated.

Offline Supertoaster

• A completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup
  • Cat LoverWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Only six bucks
  • Respect: +1236
Re: Just Cleaned my Graphics card yet it is still overheating?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
You sure your fans are spinning?

Or is it stuck in a really low speed even if you boost the speeds?

Offline Tiger Guy

• DonatorOld Forum MemberDedicated SummonerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +1915
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
I had a 220 too. I had to get a new card because it kept overheating.

You'll just have to buy a new card once your exams are over.
Youtube

10:27 PM - Sabb: are you litter trained

Offline blαh2355

• Welcome to aperture science!
  • League PlayerWindows User
    View More Badges!

• May we perform tests on you?
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Maybe apply a new coat of thermal paste or get new thermal pads. Other than that,

You'll just have to buy a new card once your exams are over.

Offline ๖Ϝцzsioᴎ

• Windows UserLinux UserCat LoverLeague Player
    View More Badges!

• Respect: +379
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
My Fans are fully 100% overclocked and the area is well ventilated...
There's your probleeeeeeeeem
Fuck, I didn't read the "fans" part.

Offline saivon

• Break the sound barrier, cause a sound boom
  • Windows UserDog LoverDonator
    View More Badges!

• Break the time barrier, cause a time boom
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
Well I guess you could just upgrade to a better one

Offline » Magic «

• i play pc computer
  • Windows UserLinux UserLeague PlayerOld Forum MemberCat LoverDedicated Summoner
    View More Badges!

• ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
  • Respect: +782
    • MagiCorp
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
Temperature sensor broken?

Put your hand near GPU (not on it) and see if it feels hot, if it doesn't feel too hot then temperature sensor is broken and it should be fine

Offline TehHank

• Party-sans
  • Windows UserLeague PlayerDedicated SummonerDog Lover
    View More Badges!

• Comrade, why are we using potatoes
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »
I just checked my Graphics card and i think i found the problem. The fan isn't spinning properly idle as in it there is resistance and it stutters for half a second and spins quite slowly when under load. I think it is because the Fan isn't recieving enough power and it's cable is a bit loose since i did do some major cleaning just before the problems started. It never used to happen before and it's temperture stayed around 50-60 Idle and 80-90 Under load compared to 75-90 Idle and 110-130+ under load, which reduces all my games Fps to 5-15 FPS when i usually have a solid 30-50 FPS on most games.

Offline Xrain

• DWO PlayerOld Forum Member
    View More Badges!

• XRain - King of TL;DR
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:44:32 AM »
I just checked my Graphics card and i think i found the problem. The fan isn't spinning properly idle as in it there is resistance and it stutters for half a second and spins quite slowly when under load. I think it is because the Fan isn't recieving enough power and it's cable is a bit loose since i did do some major cleaning just before the problems started. It never used to happen before and it's temperture stayed around 50-60 Idle and 80-90 Under load compared to 75-90 Idle and 110-130+ under load, which reduces all my games Fps to 5-15 FPS when i usually have a solid 30-50 FPS on most games.

More likely the bearing has gone out in the fan, if it is difficult to spin while off that is very likely the case.

It is receiving plenty of power, the amount of electricity required to run that fan is not significant enough to run into many resistance problems from loose connections.

So I highly doubt that it is not getting enough juice, it is possible but not likely.

I would reccomend running around ebay, and picking up a new one for 10-$20
Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galaxy-NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-430-43GGS8HX3SPZ-1GB-128bit-DDR3-HDCP-video-card-/221196356242?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3380548a92

Since you would have to spend at least 5-10 dollars + shipping on a new fan anyway might as well go ahead and get a new graphics card for that much.

Temperature sensor broken?

Put your hand near GPU (not on it) and see if it feels hot, if it doesn't feel too hot then temperature sensor is broken and it should be fine

This wouldn't tell you anything, most graphics cards run at ~ 50-60 degrees C, which would feel quite hot to the touch and almost burn your hand, 92C wouldn't feel to much different. Though I suppose the burning sensation would come faster...

Even then, the temperature sensor on GPU's and CPU's are generally built into the processing chip itself, so there can be a significant difference in temperature from what you can feel, and what the core actually is.

Best bet would be to use a IR temperature sensor on the back on the card right behind the GPU, it would read lower than what it actually would be, but it would give you a guesstimate, if it reads 40-50 C and your onboard sensor reads 92C, then probably the onboard temp sensor is wrong.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:49:43 AM by Xrain »
" I don't take square roots, I make them. Then I set them out to cool after I baked them for 40 minutes."
"It's Canadia, not Chlamydia."
"Hold on I just have to ddos myself"
~Coolzeldad~

"I'm like 12 in my head" screen when I do video?"
~Minic~